Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 02:53 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,791,635 times

Advertisements

Here's hoping we get some much needed rain. Faye raised Lake Lanier 2 feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 03:50 PM

67 posts, read 273,032 times
Yeah really... unfortunately I have been watching stormpulse and it seems that Hannah will not even give us a drop of rain. I think Ike will bring a deluge even if its a big miss.... that storm is HUGE!!

Old 09-05-2008, 06:54 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,269,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straighttalker75 View Post
Yeah really... unfortunately I have been watching stormpulse and it seems that Hannah will not even give us a drop of rain. I think Ike will bring a deluge even if its a big miss.... that storm is HUGE!!
Ike is very small actually. It's strong, but not huge. It's about the size of Andrew in 1992 - very compact. That could change as it heads west of course.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:13 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,901,548 times
The latest from NHC shows Ike heading for the New Orleans area. However, it's way too far out to take this prediction seriously, of course.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:59 PM

193 posts, read 694,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
Here's hoping we get some much needed rain. Faye raised Lake Lanier 2 feet.
You are not kidding. Check out this graph!

http://water.sam.usace.army.mil/lanfc.htm (broken link)

The blue line is this year. (Yes we are setting a new record low every day). But check out that bump!

Old 09-05-2008, 11:47 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,598,073 times
I feel your pain. We moved from mild but dry Atlanta to the convection oven known as Austin, TX in June. Three hurricanes hit Texas in one month and Austin got about one-half inch TOTAL rainfall from the trio. I understand that Jackson, MS could spare a little water...they got about a foot of rain in the last month. Unless Hanna backtracks, it looks like Ike will be your best shot... I don't think we have anything on the horizon. Good luck!

Old 09-06-2008, 05:54 AM

481 posts, read 2,825,476 times
Don't count on it. Atlanta is in a very geographically safe location. The chances are extremely small of a hurricane hitting Georgia, let alone making it to the Atlanta area.

I'm pretty sure there isn't a person alive in the world today who has seen a major hurricane come even close to Atlanta.

Of course, even if we don't get hit, the resulting climate change will definitely bring more rain towards us.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:28 AM

100 posts, read 486,190 times
It's usually the tornadoes that blow through here or the torrential rainfall we could get from the hurricane leftovers. Some rain is better than none.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:16 PM

606 posts, read 2,008,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GF72 View Post
Don't count on it. Atlanta is in a very geographically safe location. The chances are extremely small of a hurricane hitting Georgia, let alone making it to the Atlanta area.

I'm pretty sure there isn't a person alive in the world today who has seen a major hurricane come even close to Atlanta.

Of course, even if we don't get hit, the resulting climate change will definitely bring more rain towards us.
Well, Hurricane Opal in 1995 made it to Atlanta and brought heavy rain and very strong winds. We were without power for a week.

Old 09-06-2008, 03:19 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,886,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
Well, Hurricane Opal in 1995 made it to Atlanta and brought heavy rain and very strong winds. We were without power for a week.
is a week without power worth the beneficial rain? in my opinion, no. I'm glad that houston has not encountered a direct hit from any strong storm in recent memory. the last bad storm i remember is tropical storm alison and that rain was anything but beneficial. brought the entire city to a standstill due to historical flooding.

to the original poster, be careful what you wish for
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: