Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 06:29 PM

8 posts, read 18,065 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone.
My situation is that i'm planning on moving down to Atlanta but need to land a job first or try to. I'm an Staff Accountant that has worked in the commodities section for two years. At the moment im in Connectict and tried looking for a job up here, but so far haven't had any luck. I've been told to save enough money and just come down to Atlanta and find a job, and i've been told that just keep looking, something will come up. I must admit that i'm just thinking about just coming down to Atlanta and just looking because i'm getting a little frustrated getting hardly any replys.
Please can anyone advice me on what is my best move. Also is there any job/headhunters that anyone know of that can help me with my job search.

I would very much appreciate any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 07:44 PM

989 posts, read 1,742,818 times
I'm an accountant, so I'll offer you some advice. Get a recruiter who handles accounting and finance positions only. Their are quite a few to choose from. Solomon Edwards, Asyc, Ajilon Finance etc.I wouldn't use more than 3 recruiters at a time. Here is the catch, recruiters don't like out of state candidates, or any candidate they are actively recruiting for if they have NEVER met you in person. So my advise is to contact these headhunters and show them commitment by coming to visit them personally. This will serve too purposes, you will get to met your recuiters and get to know the city. Craigslist is a great source for finding accounting positions in atlanta. They are almost exclusively posted by recruiters. Hope it helps and good luck

Old 09-11-2008, 08:04 PM

Thank you very much for your post and advice. Its a big help.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:26 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,739,537 times
You should also do some networking with the Georgia Society of CPAs - GSCPA HOME

Old 09-12-2008, 10:11 PM

Thank you sweettea1 for your post and the link. Will definatley check it out.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:32 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,403,643 times
One site for you. Accounttemps.com

A word of advice, I would not move here without a job. We have thousands down here now in dire straights that left the Northeast, West, and Florida without employment thinking Atlanta would offer the world, it does not.

With the slowing economy, Atlanta, will still holding its own is still hurting in it's own right. Some bank failures, I Bank for example. Wachovia on the watch list, along with a number of businesses packing up and leaving Atlanta and moving to Charlotte and Chicago.

Good Luck in your search

Old 09-13-2008, 06:28 PM

Thank you for sharing your advice. I will definatley keep looking.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:41 PM

360 posts, read 1,011,381 times
Moving is expensive ... I moved here WITH a job lined up, and that has been plenty stressful enough. Before, during and after a move, a lot more money goes out than comes in, and that's WITH a job in the bag. If you have a chance, use your vacation time to job hunt in person. That's what I did.

Also, you might want to check out Charlotte and Raleigh. You might find opportunities in those cities as well.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:10 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,068,257 times
My husband is an Accountant and we moved here without him having a job. Please don't do it. We saved up money and I started a business which has its own level of stress. He has not been able to find a job. He has met a lot of recruiters that tell him over the phone and upon meeting them in person that the market has taken a huge turn for the worse and it is hard for them to place people. No one is hiring right now and if they are they are taking their time and or have a lot of applicants to choose from so they are being very selective.

Good luck to you on whatever you decide to do. I still love this place for my family.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
My husband is an Accountant and we moved here without him having a job. Please don't do it. We saved up money and I started a business which has its own level of stress. He has not been able to find a job. He has met a lot of recruiters that tell him over the phone and upon meeting them in person that the market has taken a huge turn for the worse and it is hard for them to place people. No one is hiring right now and if they are they are taking their time and or have a lot of applicants to choose from so they are being very selective.

Good luck to you on whatever you decide to do. I still love this place for my family.
Thank you for your advice. If you don't mind me asking, how long as your husband been looking for a job down there. Through research I thought that Accounting was in high demand in Atlanta, but then again the economy is affecting every city. It's been so frustrating for me because when recruiters call me they tell me that in kind words that they are not taking chances on someone out of town so call them when I move and settle down in Atlanta. Thank you for your advice and I wish you and your husband best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: