Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 01:51 PM

11 posts, read 80,799 times

Advertisements

Since I could not find anything in-town to meet my needs I am looking at a home in Mableton in a John Wieland master planned community. I am very concerned with the ruff area of Veterans Memorial (AKA Bankhead Hwy) right down the street. I know Bankhead Courts is about 3/4 mile away, and heard not to long ago the mail man couldn't even deliver the mail there because of being MUGGED!!! Let me know if the undesirables ever spill-over into the Cobb Co. side of the river? Is there anything else I need to know?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 02:28 PM

1,025 posts, read 4,095,696 times
Quote:
I am very concerned with the ruff area of Veterans Memorial (AKA Bankhead Hwy) right down the street. I know Bankhead Courts
It's still rough. Rougher than rough!

Hey, does anyone recall about 17-18 years ago when mail delivery was interrupted and our then mayor (wasn't it Maynard Jackson?) tried valiantly to prove that Bankhead Courts was safe for families -- by spending the night in a tent there? As I recall, he and his entourage heard gunfire and didn't last much past midnight.

Yes, I've seen the new Publix to the west. Yes, I've seen new subdivisions behind gates and decorative fences. But I've also been detoured to Hwy 78 at night when I-20 was blocked, and that drive past Bankhead Courts over Fulton Industrial to reach I-285 was the first time I've feared for my life in Atlanta. This was shortly before the trucker was attacked on that same stretch of road.

I don't know much about Mableton, but I do know that the Bankhead Courts area is still not a safe place to be -- especially not at night, even with windows rolled up and doors locked. However, I have heard that those old units will be torn away at some point because Beazer Homes and John Wieland are planning a big project on that land.

Old 02-14-2007, 06:45 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info. Any other information about Mableton specifically

Old 02-14-2007, 10:51 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,681,860 times
I have a buddy that lives off of pebblebrook behind the publix, that area is nice. That area of Mableton is nice, and up and coming, but most of those people send their kids to private schools down there.

Bankhead isn't bad until you cross the river and bam hit Fulton and Bankhead Courts. Mableton is on the Cobb side and it's alot better. I'd move there but I don't think I'd move there if I had kids yet. That area serves Pebblebrook high school, which has a nice performing arts program, however looking at the stats it's one of the worst(if not worst) in grades and test scores.

Old 02-14-2007, 12:46 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks again for the input, we only plan on stay in that area for about 5 years. I have a new born so we don't have to worry about school yet.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:51 PM

1 posts, read 8,084 times
Default Living in Mableton

Hi,

I live in Providence (off of Veterans Memorial Hwy) near Bankhead Courts and do not fear for my life. I feel very safe with our gated/gaurded community and we have a VERY active HOA association. You are correct in that the public schools are not the best, but really there are very few in Atlanta that are. There is a new charter school called International Academy of Mableton that will open up this year that I plan on sending my children to when they get of age. Also, there are several ways to avoid passing by Bankhead Courts if you were to move into either Providence or Legacy (both John Wieland neighborhoods)...you can take Discovery Blvd to Mableton Parkway, this will take you quickly to I-20 and I-285 South or you can take the back way to S.Cobb Dr which will take you quickly to I-285 North and Smyrna/Vinings. I'm about 15 minutes from downtown (with morning rush hour!) and dont have to pay the high Fulton County taxes! Love it!

Old 04-12-2007, 02:03 PM

1,123 posts, read 6,538,018 times
Don't forget that Bankhead Courts is set for demolition starting in June and ending in March of next year.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:33 PM

2 posts, read 10,999 times
Hi...I live in Providence (JW Community on Veterans Memorial AKA Bankhead) as well. While it's true that its a quick hop, skip, and jump from Bankhead Court, I can attest to the fact that I've never felt that my life was in any amount of danger. I've lived in Providence for a little over 8mths. I love the proximity to the city and the convenience to amenities outside of the perimeter. I'm in my mid-20's, I work full-time, go to school (EMORY MBA), and hang out, which means I get home at random times and I don't feel like I have to watch my back like that. Not anymore than I would in Buckhead or Vinings late at night. I do notice that there are a lot of pedestrians walking at all times of the day, particularly the closer you get to the Courts, but like I said I've never had trouble. My guess is that property values in Mableton will soar within the next 5yrs, especially once Bankhead Court is torn down and new homes go up. My biggest issue is with traffic when getting on I-285 in the morning...it can get a bit backed up and will probably get worse as more homes pop up. But that's Atlanta...where there's people, there's traffic. Also, its great having the Publix Shopping Center right across the street, which includes a cleaners, Wal-greens, Bank of Am, Hollywood Video etc.

Hope this helps!

Old 05-09-2007, 05:58 PM

129 posts, read 659,528 times
[quote][/Don't forget that Bankhead Courts is set for demolition starting in June and ending in March of next year.[quote]

just curious where all of those residents will be placed?? any info on that guess?

Old 05-09-2007, 06:10 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Default I couldn't find much

[quote=sahm3;693712][quote][/Don't forget that Bankhead Courts is set for demolition starting in June and ending in March of next year.
Quote:

just curious where all of those residents will be placed?? any info on that guess?
I was curious, too--Here's the AHA FYI...
http://tinyurl.com/22vjfn (broken link)

Maybe a poster has better information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta