Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2007, 09:14 AM

28 posts, read 157,128 times

Advertisements

I am looking at moving to the Atlanta area and work on the Nothwest side near I75 and I285; traffic down I75 looks like a nightmare, and traffic from the NE side (Lawrenceville) looks like a bigger nightmare. But, I noticed (on traffic.com) there is never any traffic on the west side of I285 and I20 (west of I285), so I'm thinking Villa Rica, Lithia Springs, or even Dallas may be nice areas to live and not a whole lot of traffic to deal with coming in on I20 East to I285 North. I'm not sure I beleive traffic.com's lack of traffic warnings on the west side of Atlanta. Can anyone comment on the traffic? How about living out on the west side?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 09:42 AM

4 posts, read 19,812 times
The reason that you don't see traffic information there is because ga dot doesn't provide it, not because it is any better on the west side. The actual trip time varies depending on when you leave. I live on the NW side, so I don't have the west side time table down, but I'd suggest listening to the traffic reports on one of the radio stations live feeds over the internet. Here's 3 that you can try: www.b985.com; (broken link) www.star94.com, www.allthehitsq100.com. Hope that helps!

Old 02-07-2007, 10:04 AM

1,025 posts, read 4,094,353 times
I-20 does get its share of traffic, both ways. There's a heavy volume of truck traffic on I-20. The ramps and merge lanes from 285 to I-20 are severely in need of a redesign or widening. I was hopeful when I saw heavy construction equipment clearing the right shoulder, but it turned out to be only a sound-buffering metal wall going up for the houses backing up to the interstate.

Another thing, people tell me in all seriousness that they don't want the eastern sun in their eyes on the morning commute and the western sun going home.

Curt, if working in northwest Atlanta, have you searched Smyrna or Marietta? You mentioned Villa Rica and it is certainly more affordable. It's about 30-35 miles just from Exit 24 on 1-20 to I-285, too, and you must take into consideration the costs of commuting (not just monetary costs).

For westside convenience to I-285, you might look at The Tributary or other subdivisions on the southeast side of Douglasville. That's off I-20 not far from 285.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:11 AM

Default Marietta

I didn't care much for the crime rates and schools (middle) in Marietta, but I like what I've seen in the Kenneshaw area; however, the I75 south commute looks like a nightmare!

Old 02-07-2007, 11:19 AM

1,025 posts, read 4,094,353 times
Quote:
the I75 south commute looks like a nightmare!
It is. Recurring daily.

The west side is growing like crazy. But where isn't it growing like crazy around here?

Any chance you could do a short-term rental near your job maybe for the summer while you get your bearings (even Residence Inn with a pool for the kids, or something similar) before you lock into a house and school district?

Old 02-07-2007, 11:41 AM

We may do that. Thanks for the tips!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta