U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2007, 05:43 PM

8,862 posts, read 15,451,148 times

Advertisements

The zoo is considering a move.

I guess Lakewood would be OK--have honestly not heard much about this.

They have outgrown their present location and I would make a trip to Lakewood to go to the zoo. Not sure that it 'Needs' to be in proximity of the business district--certain that other cities have zoos close to their epicenter and many will want the Zoo to stay. (I think it is shameful how little support the zoo has received for many years---they deserve much better. Dedicated professionals and they could do a lot ...$.10)

AJC article 2-06-07
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2007/02/05/0206metlakewood.html (broken link)

~~~~~
Moderator cut: Removed
<snip>
sls

Last edited by xxman777; 02-06-2007 at 08:38 PM.. Reason: Removed Copyrighted Material
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 07:28 PM

702 posts, read 2,389,546 times
Lakewood is only about 5 minutes further than Grant Park...just down at the end of Boulevard.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:01 PM

Default it has been a long time since I visited>>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtsluvr8 View Post
Lakewood is only about 5 minutes further than Grant Park...just down at the end of Boulevard.
I really get so lost and it is just not worth it.

Got a ticket last summer in downtown Atlanta---lost had to park. I was trying to ask for directions--hadn't put any $ in the meter. I saw a meter officer on one side of the street--asked him my question and turned around to watch the meter officer writing a ticket for my car. $20 fine.

I want to see the baby panda. Maybe I will do that --it will be a while before they move the zoo. I don't think it will destroy the neighborhoods in that area if they move the zoo. Not my area and I wish them well. We need a good zoo. fingers crossed.

sls

Old 02-06-2007, 09:01 PM

1,025 posts, read 3,840,426 times
How far would that be from the Lakewood Marta station?

The Lakewood site is reported to have triple the acreage of our zoo's present location, with the bonus of a floodplain and lake.

I think it would be a good move for Zoo Atlanta. I'd love to see the zoo expand, but first I'd like to know what will become of the old Grant Park location. It's been there for over 100 years. Please, not a Sembler or any other commercial project there. We need more park space desperately.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:16 PM

1,088 posts, read 5,949,384 times
I think it's a great idea and would really benefit both the city and the zoo if it happened. I've always found the Atlanta Zoo a little disappointing, and I really like zoo's so any improvement would be welcomed. The new location isn't really much farther out of the CBD and almost has better access because of it's location at the end of Langford Pkwy, right off the 75/85. It would be about 2 miles from the Lakewood Marta Station but a direct bus route could be set up (not that Marta would be smart enough to do that, but they could).

Old 02-06-2007, 10:38 PM

1,025 posts, read 3,840,426 times
Hoepfully a peak time shuttle service, at least. I read or heard somewhere that the PATH Foundation is studying/planning an extension to the Lakewood area (connecting from where, I don't know).

The two Zoo expansion options being proposed are: a) the move to Lakewood and b) replacing a section of parking lot in the Grant Park location with a parking deck, allowing expansion into much of the area that is now paved.

I wonder what the time frame is on this zoo move or expansion, if approved.

What will happen to the Cyclorama?

Old 02-06-2007, 10:58 PM

9,188 posts, read 31,085,965 times
I think Lakewood would be good - LOTS more space, and a bit closer to a MARTA station. Heck the zoo could have one of those large electric people carts like they have at Stone Mountain on weekends to ferry people from the MARTA station to the entrance.

The existing zoo could simply be converted into a lush new city park, or gardens of some sort, similar to the Botanical Gardens.

Anyone who's lived here a long time will remember the old zoo of 20 or so years ago. It was literally like a large dog shelter - lions and bears kept in concrete areas, small, with bars. NO natural habitat areas at all. At one point, the zoo was rated as one of the worst zoos.. not in the U.S.... but the WORLD. The zoo as it is now is a vast improvement over that, and rated very highly, though I do agree that it's not as large as I'd like to see a city like this to have.

If they can't get it together for Lakewood, then my vote would be to relocate the Cyclorama into a new building elsewhere (downtown near the Aquarium maybe?) and raze the current Cyclorama building and current parking lots, do the parking deck and expand that way. The elephants need a much larger area, and they could maybe create a wetlands/swamp themed area where you could walk over a boardwalk and see native animals (manitees, alligators, etc) under you, etc.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:24 AM

Default I remembert the old zoo

I like your ideas.
I want to see the baby panda--and think all the animals need/deserve better accomodations. Much more support for the zoo is needed. and we have many people who hopefully are working on that?

Hope something can be done without a lot of 'Fighting'--so much time is wasted in fighting around here. Nothing gets done.

Yes--the Cyclorama could be moved --it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Coca Cola is moving it's tourist attraction from Underground sometime --in the next few years--so space could be available somewhere downtown--

Tourists would want to see the Cyclorama and would go if it were near the Aquarium. The Atlanta History Museum is wonderful--some tourists probably never even know about that. I'm sure I couldn't find anything if I came to Atlanta--and just tried to get from downtown to other areas.

Boston is better for seeing the sights. The geography was just easier to adapt.
Glad I don't have to be involved in city planning in any way.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:06 AM

702 posts, read 2,389,546 times
The zoo would presumably offer a shuttle from the Lakewood/Ft. Macpherson station. I didn't know it was 1-2 miles from the amphitheater and fairgrounds, but I know there was shuttle service to the amphitheater from that station and I don't remember it being Marta that provided it. I hope it happens...it would definitely be a boost for our zoo and give them room to be creative.

Good points made about the Cyclorama. I always thought it would be a better match with downtown or midtown than with the zoo and Grant Park and that it would get more toursists with the other attractions nearby, especially downtown. The Cyclorama is amazing...anyone who's never seen it should definitely make a point to get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta