U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 05:44 AM

3 posts, read 6,751 times

Advertisements

We are contemplating a possible relocation from South Florida to the Atlanta area. I would be taking a job in Atlanta. We have two daughters, one is 10 and one is 15. Both have been brought up in Catholic Souths here in South Florida. We would want to live in a nice suburb with the best schools. We were told to look in Cummings, Conyers or Duluth but after reading so much on the internet, it seems Alpharetta is a better area. Any recommendations on the commute?

What areas should we be looking in? I understand the traffic very congested but I would not mind the drive to ensure we live in a nice neighborhood.

Last edited by pla010; 02-07-2007 at 05:59 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 06:09 AM

985 posts, read 5,404,149 times
Best public schools are located East Cobb (Walton), John's Creek (Northview and Chattahoochee) and Alpharatta (Milton). All of them are pretty pricey. Expect to pay 300,000 for older home and 500,000 for new home.

If you want to pay for private school, Buckhead, Dunwoody/Sandy Spring are probably better bet since a lot of private schools locate around those locations. Of course, those places are even more pricer.

It all depends on your price range.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:12 AM

How far of a commute is it from Alpharetta to Atlanta?

Old 02-07-2007, 06:15 AM

1,025 posts, read 3,843,783 times
Quote:
We would want to live in a nice suburb with the best schools.
Please give us more to work with than that.

For example, a general price range. Do you want a new house or do you prefer older homes in established neighborhoods with big trees? Need to get to the airport frequently? Do you want a swim/tennis community? Public or private schools? The girls are in Catholic schools now, so is that what you want here? And do you need to be near a Catholic church as well? If you are taking on a new job with a long commute, will your girls be driven to school or ride a bus? Do you want to be near shopping?

Quote:
I understand the traffic very congested but I would not mind the drive to ensure we live in a nice neighborhood.
You think so? I say you do not, cannot truly understand the trade-off until you've spent a little time here. Depending upon your job location, you won't be spending much time with those daughters unless you choose to live near your job. But there are many, many nice neighborhoods here. What do you need?

Old 02-07-2007, 06:18 AM

Quote:
How far of a commute is it from Alpharetta to Atlanta?
What part of Atlanta? Just a general idea, like Buckhead, Midtown, Downtown, for example.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:42 AM

A lot of people in Alpharatta take MARTA train at North Spring station. I would say 25 to 30 mins to North Spring train station then 35 mins to downtown Atlanta. I wouldn't want to guess the drive time. GA400 is very congested and is prone to accident.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:53 AM

We'd probably enjoy an older home in an established community with nice trees. As long as the schools are good, we would contemplate public. We would like to be near a catholic church. Possible place of employment: Atlanta Medical Center. I would have to make arrangements for the girls to come home from school. I am getting very weary after reading so many different comments on living in this general area. I want to hear some good stories.

Old 02-07-2007, 07:04 AM

Alpharatta/John's Creek (which just split from Alpharatta last year to form its own city) is your typical white collar predominate white community with some Asians. Very little crime. Very active PTAs. A lot of transplants. There are a couple of catholic churches in the Alpharatta/John's Creek area. A little bit snobbish at the time due to high number of country clubs within the neighborhood.

The only thing is that traffic is pretty bad. They just enhanced the State Bridge road from one single lane to two lanes. That's amazing since that's most popular road from east to west.

Old 02-07-2007, 07:27 AM

East Cobb County is home to some of Atlanta's most successful public schools. St. Ann's is a large Catholic church in East Cobb on Upper Roswell (Roswell Road NE).

Here is the website with directions: http://www.st-ann.org/default.htm (broken link)

Many nice shade-tree neighborhoods with big yards. There is shopping at The Avenue, shopping and movies at Merchant's Walk. All around, really. Trader Joes just arrived at Pinestraw Plaza at the intersection of Upper Roswell and Johnson Ferry Road (Cobb County).

Walton High gets students from the 30068 and 30067 zip codes so check those areas at online real estate sites and expand the search from there.

Jxu66 is spot on with pricing, but there are a few exceptions in the older swim/tennis communities of East Cobb. If you can't yet swing $400,000 (though if you can do that and more, the metro suburbs will be your oyster), there are older but still nice homes to be found in the upper $200s -- maybe $280s. Look in Willow Point, an older swim/tennis community, and Indian Hills Country Club off Fairfield Road. Princeton Walk, Princeton Lakes. Seven Springs. I'll try to think of more.

Homes in that part of East Cobb will have a Marietta, Georgia address but it is right next door to Sandy Springs, another area with nice older homes and well established neighborhoods (and more expensive). Cobb County property taxes are lower.

Try to establish communication with someone at St. Anne's or another Catholic church right away. They might have an outreach program or individual members who could advise and also help you and the girls get settled.

Atlanta is a great place to live. Georgia is beautiful! If you move here, I hope you love it as much as I do and help us take good care of it.

Personally, I find the traffic grueling and that can take a lot of the joy out of living here, so choose wisely based on your family's needs and your own temperament.

Last edited by Figment 07; 02-07-2007 at 07:39 AM..

Old 02-07-2007, 07:59 AM

15 posts, read 86,336 times
Sandy Springs may be a good option as well. In my opinion Sandy Springs and Alpharetta are the only 2 suburbs that will fit your bill. Alpharetta is a general term to describe everything north of Roswell. It really consists of 3 cities; Alpharetta, John's Creek and Milton. Alpharetta has homes from the $150,000's to the 4 million and up. Sandy springs entry point is around $300,000. The main hwy, to Alpharetta, GA 400 has recently been improved and the traffic is not nearly as bad as it was. You need to speak with a Realtor before you pick up and move. They will be able to provide you with a good bit more info with regards to specifics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or