U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2008, 02:28 PM

6 posts, read 55,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
The old Underground. There was a bar/night club there called the Mad Hatter- My first real "tie one on". It was an after work (Six Flags) party.
Remember Tabor Pontiac on Peachtree? I think it was just down the street from Lenox Square. It had a 20' tall indian brave standing on the roof. Well, that indian is now at McEachern High School (Powder Springs/ Cobb Co.) Standing proudly over the football field.
The disco Kroger was mentioned (Limelight), how about Rupert's! That place was some "meat market" in it's hay-day.
In 1982 or 1983 some friends and i tried to steal that dam Mceachern Indian!! We did manage to pull a part of its arm down and proudly rode that Indians Arm through Hawthorne Plaza in Mableton, Ga!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 02:36 PM

Default Johnies Hideaway

Ruperts was a meat market alright but the best place in Atlanta to get lucky was Johnies Hideaway!!! I am dead serious, if you were a young man who liked older ladies...and I do mean older (40 and 50 year olds when you are in your 20's is older) Johnies was the place to be!!! You could go there and with just a little game some of those Buckhead and Sandy Springs housewives and divorcees would treat you like a Prince...and the beautiful thing was that they had all the money in the world and you didn't need to break the bank to have a BLAST!!! Of course a lot of guys would pretend that they wouldnt go to Johny's on a dare BUT...once they went one time they were hooked!!! Nothing like an older woman with a purse full of money, a Mercedes in the parking lot out looking for a good time, especially when you are young and broke. On tope of this those woman knew what they wanted, how to get it and did not expect a thing in return...I think if you had actually tried to call one of the back and go on a date you would have been laughed out of town...almost perfect!!! I bet this is still going on at Johny's. Any old musicians in Atlanta know what I am talking about....it was almost a right of passage to get laid at Johny's back in the day!!!

Old 10-03-2008, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
We discussed Rich's earlier but nobody mentioned the Pink Pig or the lighting of the great tree. Is that still going on at Lenox or somewhere else? Still not the same thing.
The Pink Pig was the bomb!!!! I remember the Magnolia Tea Room at Rich's. I wrote a play about the Magnolia Tea Room once and have thought about getting it back out and taking another stab at it.

My Grandmother used to buy us school clothes and Davisons and Riches downtown, not at Lenox (Granny wouldn't go to Lenox, it was to far to die on Marta!!!) They both had a bargain basement where most of our clothes came from.....I swear Harrods in London has nothing on either Davisons or Riches.

Old 10-03-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantamoi View Post
688 Club. I only went a handful of times in 1985 and 1986, but it was the most amazing dive with a roster of bands over the years like this city has never, nor will never see again. Of course, that could just be me thinking that early 80's alternative rock is the bees knees. A place like The Earl today still hosts very good, smaller bands, but the 688 was of a totally different era (throw in the Metroplex for bonus points).
The 688 club was great!!! I went there one night before I knew what slam dancing was and as a redneck from South Cobb I thought it was just a big fist fight!!! I don't know if anyone has ever noticed it or not but there is a scene in the movie "Clueless" where one of the actors has on a 688 Club Tshirt. It is the guy that the main girl finally falls in love with...they are in the kitchen talking...every time I ever saw that scene I would tell my wife..."I been there!!!"""

Old 10-03-2008, 05:18 PM

21,871 posts, read 13,318,060 times
Johnny's Hideaway is still open.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:06 PM

13 posts, read 16,740 times
Default I miss 1950's Atlanta

Many of you probably don't know about 1950's Atlanta. It was a great place to live.

Five Points was where everyone wanted to be. Rich's and Macy's in particular. The streets were clean. There were no homeless people. We would go to the roxy theater to see movies. The schools were good. Crime was low. It was really a great place to live and grow up, and I wish we could go back to that point.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:21 PM

8,293 posts, read 13,931,749 times
OK, I'll jump in from 1000 miles to the west. Elan at Park Place, West Paces Racquet Club, Standard Club indoor clay courts near Lenox, Saks mixed doubles tennis event held in the parking lot at Phipps, Ellman's, GA400 was only two lanes in each direction, the old Cheetah, The Pleasant Peasant(was the first ATL restaurant I visited as a nineteen year old from South Carolina...can you say 'eye opener'?).

I do remember the last 'official' Raft Race when I was driving on 285 westbound near Northside...only ONE lane was moving...all the others were stopped with folks out of their cars watching the 'flashing' on the river!

Old 10-05-2008, 11:39 PM

7,857 posts, read 15,085,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
GA400 was only two lanes in each direction
And it ended at I-285. If you wanted to go downtown from 400 you had to get on 285 and either head over to I-75, I-85, or get off and take P'tree-Dunwoody or Roswell Rd.

Old 10-06-2008, 10:22 AM

8,293 posts, read 13,931,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
And it ended at I-285. If you wanted to go downtown from 400 you had to get on 285 and either head over to I-75, I-85, or get off and take P'tree-Dunwoody or Roswell Rd.
More road stuff...Holcomb Bridge Rd had a STOP SIGN and a 90 degree turn at Rivermont.

Abernathy Rd. in Sandy Springs was only TWO lanes to handle all the Cobb commuters!!! Oh, wait...that never changed.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:15 PM

8,059 posts, read 10,412,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
More road stuff...Holcomb Bridge Rd had a STOP SIGN and a 90 degree turn at Rivermont.

Abernathy Rd. in Sandy Springs was only TWO lanes to handle all the Cobb commuters!!! Oh, wait...that never changed.
LOL

Do you remember when I-75 stopped at what is now Barrett Parkway and you had to divert to 41 to Cartersville and pick up 75 again to go to Chattanooga or other points north? I remember that it was a 6 lane connector to 41 and thought it was overkill way out there in the country. Now it is completely clogged with big box retailers, restaurants and auto dealers. It doesn't seem that long ago....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or