Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2018, 09:59 AM

446 posts, read 396,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
Club Nikki's was on Stewart Ave now known as Metropolitan.
So THAT's what Metropolitan is! I moved back to Atlanta recently and had no idea what Metropolitan was. So it's Stewart Avenue. Now THAT is a name and location I know. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 12:28 AM

15 posts, read 22,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckysnap View Post
Where are the Uncle Remus statues that were placed around Lwnox Square?
In
They are at the Library in Madison GA now.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:31 PM

Does anyone know anything about a cow the Atlanta Dairy had some time in the 50's or 60's called Mini Quarts? My father told me several years ago she was a cow they would send to the local schools so the children could milk her. I did an internet search but could only find info about another local dairy that did the same thing but their cow was called Rosebud. Now I know my father wasn't dreaming this because he had a very fancy letter opner in a wooden block case something like a knife would be in, with the name Mini Quarts written across it in fancy lettering. I can't remember where he said he got the letter opener from but I seem to remember possibly at work.

Any help will e greatly appreciated.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:45 PM

I have another query for you. Does anyone know anything about a car dealership that used to be downtown possibly on Peachtree St called Harry Somers or Somners? Not sure about the spelling but it was the place where my parents met in 1954. My father was one the car dealers and my mother was a secretary in the insurance dept.

Old 04-30-2018, 08:48 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max1218 View Post
Does anyone know anything about a cow the Atlanta Dairy had some time in the 50's or 60's called Mini Quarts? My father told me several years ago she was a cow they would send to the local schools so the children could milk her. I did an internet search but could only find info about another local dairy that did the same thing but their cow was called Rosebud. Now I know my father wasn't dreaming this because he had a very fancy letter opner in a wooden block case something like a knife would be in, with the name Mini Quarts written across it in fancy lettering. I can't remember where he said he got the letter opener from but I seem to remember possibly at work.

NEXT STOP...DECATUR: Who Remembers Irvindale Farms Dairy and Minnie Quarts Playground ?

https://theatlanta100.com/history/20...d-mathis-dairy

Old 04-30-2018, 08:58 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
Quote:
I have another query for you. Does anyone know anything about a car dealership that used to be downtown possibly on Peachtree St called Harry Somers or Somners? Not sure about the spelling but it was the place where my parents met in 1954. My father was one the car dealers and my mother was a secretary in the insurance dept.
Here is a photograph of the dealership.

Harry Sommers, Chrysler-Plymouth car dealership, 1958 :: Tracy O'Neal Photographs

There were several car dealerships along West Peachtree. I have been looking for information about one called King Motors during the same time period. If your parents are still alive, could you ask them if they remember King Motors?

Old 05-01-2018, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Here is a photograph of the dealership.

Harry Sommers, Chrysler-Plymouth car dealership, 1958 :: Tracy O'Neal Photographs

There were several car dealerships along West Peachtree. I have been looking for information about one called King Motors during the same time period. If your parents are still alive, could you ask them if they remember King Motors?

I'll ask my mother when I see her. But sadly my father died a little over w month ago the week before Easter. Which is one reason I've been getting on this site to see some of their old stomping ground to help me stay connected to his memory.

Old 05-01-2018, 09:32 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,992,349 times
Quote:

Rosebud was at Mathis Dairy. We would take school field trips and have birthday parties at Mathis Dairy to milk her. Mathis dairy milkmen delivered milk door to door throughout Buckhead during the 1960s and 1970s. They had milk (homogenized, cream on top, chocolate, butter) that came to your door in glass bottles. I am sure they delivered in other parts of the city as well.

Old 05-01-2018, 10:19 AM

Thanks for the link to the photo of Harry Sommers. When I told my mother about it she was thrilled.

But sorry she said King motors didn't ring a bell.

Old 05-01-2018, 03:23 PM

Thanks for the reply but since my parents moved to Columbia sc in the middle of 1960, the cow he was telling me had to he from the Atlanta Dairy and the name of their co now was Mini Quarts according to my father.

Last edited by max1218; 05-01-2018 at 04:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta