Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2008, 06:55 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
LOL

Do you remember when I-75 stopped at what is now Barrett Parkway and you had to divert to 41 to Cartersville and pick up 75 again to go to Chattanooga or other points north? I remember that it was a 6 lane connector to 41 and thought it was overkill way out there in the country. Now it is completely clogged with big box retailers, restaurants and auto dealers. It doesn't seem that long ago....
I also remember when I-85 stopped at Commerce and picked back up at North Druid Hills Rd. The only businesses at the NDH Rd exit were a Gulf station and a Howard Johnson's Motel and Restaurant where we would eat after church.
I remember how sad my brother was when they tore that hotel down...he lost his virginity there.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 07:45 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,200 times
Had my first beer dancing to beach music at The Beer Mug on Peachtree.

As a younger girl, I remember celebrating birthdays at Shakey's Pizza. You got this little person shaped balloon that stood on a set of cardboard feet. You also got a styrofoam pizza man hat!

And don't forget J.P.Allens - a downtown clothing store. This is where we would go to buy a nice coat once a year (well actually, my big sister got the nice new coat and I got her hand-me-down, but I don't have any issues with that ...) J.P Allens had a mezzanine level - I thought that was sooooo exotic!

Old 10-07-2008, 08:26 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,854,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I also remember when I-85 stopped at Commerce and picked back up at North Druid Hills Rd. The only businesses at the NDH Rd exit were a Gulf station and a Howard Johnson's Motel and Restaurant where we would eat after church.
I remember how sad my brother was when they tore that hotel down...he lost his virginity there.
I grew up in Hogansville and 85 south did the same thing, ended at Fairburn, then Newnan, then Grantville, the DOT would build just a leg at a time. All the traffic would have to exit on to US 29 which funneled right through Hogansville and our one traffic light.

For High School fundraisers we would sell Krispy Kremes down at the light on Saturdays. If there was a game in Auburn and we saw a car with their colors flying, we had WAR EAGLE!! written on the back of the poster advertising the donuts and flip it... Always got a sale then!

Old 10-07-2008, 08:29 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,854,475 times
Who can remember the 50's nostalgic type restaurant on Cobb Parkway just north of the big chicken? Singing waiters, sock hop atmosphere.... I think it was something like G. Golly Molly's.

The place later became a matress store and then had a short life as an adult bookstore until the Marietta fathers found some way to shut them down.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:51 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,082,278 times
Old fashion ice cream parlors. I remember as a child going to Ferrell's Ice Cream and Swensen's. I loved it when we had birthday parties there. There was an item on the menu called the Zoo which had a huge number of ice cream scoops all served with anything that you wanted in this huge bowl. The staff would come out and sing to you too. They also had an old fashion candy store at the cashier's station.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:41 AM

I was remembering a couple of classic "drive-ins" where the waitresses wore roller skates:

Sandy's - on Buford Hwy near NDH Rd; The Rusty Nail is in that location now.
The Rajah - on Cheshire Bridge Rd; it's former location is now occupied by the Varsity Jr.

Across from the Rajah, of course, was the original Hasting's Nursery...I loved the model train and the enormous parakeet cage. It was the place for NEsiders to go to get their Christmas Trees.

Sadly, there are a couple more longtime Atlanta institutions that must be added to this list.

Happy Hermans - on Cheshire Bridge Rd.
Havana Cafe - on Buford Hwy - burned down over the weekend and won't be rebuilt.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:24 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,076,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
As a younger girl, I remember celebrating birthdays at Shakey's Pizza. You got this little person shaped balloon that stood on a set of cardboard feet. You also got a styrofoam pizza man hat!
Shakey's was down here too, huh? I remember getting little tiny glass root beer mugs from Shakey's when I was growing up in the Twin Cities... Good pizza.

Old 10-08-2008, 01:48 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Shakey's Pizza on Cheshire Br- That was a highlight of my young youth- If Mom and Dad said we were going to Shakey's, we were fired-up and rready to go! Sing along, following the bouncing ball with the "barbershop Quartet". Stand up on the bench and watch them make pizza through the window. And rootbeer by the pitcher.
The building still stands- and boy has it been through a few incarnations.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Shakey's Pizza on Cheshire Br- That was a highlight of my young youth- If Mom and Dad said we were going to Shakey's, we were fired-up and rready to go! Sing along, following the bouncing ball with the "barbershop Quartet". Stand up on the bench and watch them make pizza through the window. And rootbeer by the pitcher.
The building still stands- and boy has it been through a few incarnations.
What is there now?

Old 10-14-2008, 08:01 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
What is there now?
Some strip-joint, or something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta