U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2019, 04:08 AM

16 posts, read 37,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouillot View Post
Underground Atlanta: Place to avoid in 70's. Dante memories? Dante's sucked. Seeing guys throwing-up on their bell bottom pants from too many Hurricane drinks was no highlight memory from the past. I vividly remember staring at J.B.Stoner decorated window display in closed shop in 70's Underground Atlanta. An ugly place with an even uglier reminder of racism and bigotry. Most shops were closing or closed. Underground Atlanta is one place from past that will be greatly improved even if it is a corporate cookie cutter contrived product.
Dante's was a wonderful, unique place. Loved the Paul Mitchell Trio. Heard an incredibly talented female folksinger on the Wharf; I think she made my date and I fall in love that night.

Don't recall seeing guys throwing up on their bell bottoms. Seems an odd focus for your post. I do remember dancing to great rock at Sgt. Peppers. "Sunshine Of Your Love!" Do remember Dr. Feelgood and also a fantastic bluegrass band at Muhlenbrink's. And much, much more.

Yep, it was tacky in many ways for the masses. Nevertheless, in the early 70s, when it was booming, a lot of fun was to be had there, not to mention eatin' & drinkin'. And, thankfully, I and countless others had it. Sorry you didn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2019, 05:30 PM

9 posts, read 2,073 times
Old Fulton County Stadium

Old 12-03-2019, 09:53 AM

29,918 posts, read 27,273,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsixpack View Post
Dante's was a wonderful, unique place. Loved the Paul Mitchell Trio. Heard an incredibly talented female folksinger on the Wharf; I think she made my date and I fall in love that night.

Don't recall seeing guys throwing up on their bell bottoms. Seems an odd focus for your post. I do remember dancing to great rock at Sgt. Peppers. "Sunshine Of Your Love!" Do remember Dr. Feelgood and also a fantastic bluegrass band at Muhlenbrink's. And much, much more.

Yep, it was tacky in many ways for the masses. Nevertheless, in the early 70s, when it was booming, a lot of fun was to be had there, not to mention eatin' & drinkin'. And, thankfully, I and countless others had it. Sorry you didn't.
Agree. And I never saw people throwing up on themselves. Underground in those days was more of a coat-and-tie place.

Old 12-03-2019, 07:00 PM

Do y'all remember when the huge Dunfey's was up there on 75 where the Walmart is now?

That place was the height of Tudor elegance.

Old 12-09-2019, 09:35 AM

1 posts, read 196 times
Default The Purple Onion on Stewart Ave - 1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga Jerk View Post
How about The Classy Cat, The She club, The She II, Ladies Galore (I tended bar/bounces there), The Purple Onion, Locomotion, The Saint (the had a strip bar too) and Magic City?
Did you hang out at The Purple Onion in 1982?

Old 12-11-2019, 08:58 AM

16 posts, read 37,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Do y'all remember when the huge Dunfey's was up there on 75 where the Walmart is now?

That place was the height of Tudor elegance.

Now that you mention it, I do remember that place and I even went to a wedding reception there once.

Not that much Tudor around, so Dunfey stood out. Steak & Ale . . . Pewter Mug. How about Red Lion Apts? Seem to remember a bit of a Tudor theme.

Old Yesterday, 12:50 PM

3,073 posts, read 6,618,248 times
I came across an old ice pack in an unused cooler and the price tag said it was from Oshman's. Husband and I both remember there being an Oshman's sporting goods store in the 80s - maybe early 90s, but neither of us can remember where it was. Any help?

Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM

1,986 posts, read 1,551,840 times
We had an Oshman's Sporting goods in Forest Park in Clayton Plaza near where Belk's used to be. Seems like they moved a few miles south to Morrow for a few years before they disappeared all together a few years ago.

Old Yesterday, 01:29 PM

105 posts, read 32,592 times
Things gone but not forgotten: Much lighter traffic. Tremendously less congestion. 1970's through mid-eighties zipping from Roswell to Buckhead to Peaches Records and Tapes no biggie. Coolest stereo and bike shops, used record stores. Bell bottoms. Better air quality. Before lines of parents idled away in their $40,000 vehicles picking up their kids every school day. Talk about micromanaging kids to death. That's a thing these days for sure. Before less rain rain, less mold, less rot and dampness. Concrete poured here now looks old in a few years. Use not be thus. Roaches, red clay stains, kudzu, churches everywhere, corrupt politicians same as always. Of nine states I've lived in, burbs north of Atlanta definitely on the bottom of my list. GA Tech has a very cool radio stations at least. One of my favorite college stations. GA still an excellent breeding ground for good musicians from hip hop to blues and everything in between. Still waiting for a good GA boogaloo band though.

Last edited by trouillot; Yesterday at 01:40 PM..

Old Yesterday, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I came across an old ice pack in an unused cooler and the price tag said it was from Oshman's. Husband and I both remember there being an Oshman's sporting goods store in the 80s - maybe early 90s, but neither of us can remember where it was. Any help?
I know they had stores at Northlake and Cumberland. Maybe Perimeter, too (?).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or