U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2008, 03:49 AM

7 posts, read 24,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard44 View Post
How about does anybody remember listening late at night to the R&B music played on WAOK back in the years when almost any kind of black music was frowned upon by most of white Atlanta? Often played by "Daddy" Sears or "Alley Pat" Patrick. The first place many of us heard Little Richard, James Brown and the Flames, Piano Red, and many more pioneers of rock and roll. (the REAL rock and roll!)
Hi,
Well, I do remember WAOK but the music you refer to was just a tiny bit before my time! However, I have fond memories of Quixie in Dixie - DJs like Patrick Aloysius Hughes, Tony the Tiger Taylor, Paul Drew (Atlanta's fifth Beatle!). Can't remember any of the others - can anyone else help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 11:44 AM

5 posts, read 56,262 times
did anyone ever go to Misty Waters on Saturday nights or the Bikini A GoGo?

Old 12-05-2008, 11:50 AM

13,169 posts, read 50,650,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda53 View Post
Hi,
Well, I do remember WAOK but the music you refer to was just a tiny bit before my time! However, I have fond memories of Quixie in Dixie - DJs like Patrick Aloysius Hughes, Tony the Tiger Taylor, Paul Drew (Atlanta's fifth Beatle!). Can't remember any of the others - can anyone else help?
"Machinegun Gary"

Old 12-05-2008, 12:10 PM

8,862 posts, read 15,088,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
"Machinegun Gary"
Gary McKee?

Old 12-05-2008, 12:38 PM

290 posts, read 728,294 times
Greaseman on Z93..

I remember Farrells ice cream parlor, they would go RUNNING around the parlor like crazy when somebody ordered the Zoo. They had a train too that ran around the top of the walls on a track. That one was at Cumberland Mall (I think)

I remember riding the Pink Pig before they moved it.

I remember 'slummimg' at West Texas and the Crystal Palace

I went to Westwood High School and MD Collins. My mom went to Lakeshore and my Dad went to Grady. My aunt went to Briarwood.My grandfather went to Russell and my grandmother went to Hapeville.

I remember living on Dogwood Dr in East Point and spending all of our summers in the creeks that were everywhere in that area.

I remember living in Camelot Club on Old National when they were 'THE' place to be.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:03 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,368,224 times
Not sure if any of these have been mentioned, so please forgive me if they have:

The huge Sears at the corner of Peachtree & West Paces in Buckhead.

An un-enclosed Lenox, with the subway-like entrance to Yohannan's out front.

The Braves/Falcons Lounge/package store at LaVista & Cheshire Bridge (back when Fulton was the only "wet" County in the Metro).

Lush dairy farms where Perimeter Mall is now.

The "top end" of 285 being the only portion of the Perimeter to exist, with only two lanes in each direction, and a W I D E grass median.

A packed and vibrant Downtown, teeming with shoppers scurrying from Rich's to Davison's to Franklin Simon to J.P. Allen to Regensteins.

The Midnight Sun Restaurant at Peachtree Center.

The Coach and Six and The Diplomat restaurants.

Lenox Road lined with low-slung brick ranch homes.

The outdoor observation deck on the roof of the "old" Airport.

Six Flags when the only roller coaster was the Dahlonega runaway mine train.

Omni International (now CNN Center) with the indoor amusement park (The World of Sid & Marty Croft), the ice skating rink and upscale shopping. Still remember the Mike Douglas Show broadcasting from there live during the Grand Opening.......

The scores of hippies and sex shops in Midtown (yes, beleive it or not we were Haight/Ashbury East in the 60's)

God, am I ever dating myself!

Old 12-05-2008, 02:14 PM

LOL--I know what you mean.

I think Lenox Square was the very first mall, or at least among the first.

And I85 opened with 2 lanes.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:19 PM

I think Lenox was absolutely the first concentration of shopping away from Downtown. I remember that Rich's and Davisons had their first branches there, IIRC.

I think our first true enclosed malls were North DeKalb and Greenbriar.

As an aside, when we moved here we lived very near North DeKalb Mall, which was brand new at the time. Back then it was so nice that Rich's had lunch hour fashion shows in the restaurant overlooking the mall!

Old 12-05-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I think Lenox was absolutely the first concentration of shopping away from Downtown. I remember that Rich's and Davisons had their first branches there, IIRC.

I think our first true enclosed malls were North DeKalb and Greenbriar.

As an aside, when we moved here we lived very near North DeKalb Mall, which was brand new at the time. Back then it was so nice that Rich's had lunch hour fashion shows in the restaurant overlooking the mall!
I had forgotten that N DeKalb ever had a tea room/restaurant. It is amazing that North DeKalb has hung in there.

If Sembler still wants to build/develop in this area then I think North DeKalb Mall and surrounding area is ripe for change.

Old 12-05-2008, 02:42 PM

What a wonderful idea, TakeAhike! I would much rather see them do their proposed mega-development there than at Briarcliff and North Druid.

What a lot of people don't understand is that the older, well established ranch neighborhoods surrounding North DeKalb are probably amongst some of our best hidden "jewels" in the area. Still affordable, safe and friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or