Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2009, 06:31 AM

45 posts, read 139,703 times

Advertisements

George-
Aunt Fanny's Cabin was in Smyrna, not the Northlake area.

I still have jewelry cleaner from Ellmans Jewelry store, on Hwy 41 and Spring. Its now a Lexus dealership!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 07:26 AM

23,305 posts, read 43,756,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda53 View Post
Then I'm sure you'll remember "The Now Explosion" in the early 70's, my first experience of music videos - very psychedelic!
And Channel 36 had their own version...Music Connection!

Do you remember these local shows?

Officer Don and the Popeye Club (Orvil the Green Dragon, Oooey-Gooey)
Skipper Ray McCay
Today in Georgia with Ruth Kent
Dialing for Dollars
Stars of Tomorrow
Creature Feature with Bestoink Dooley

Old 02-04-2009, 08:30 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,398,324 times
Miss Boo--LOL-such a scary witch

I think she was a very pretty lady in RL.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I remember when WSB (channel 2) was NBC, WAGA (channel 5) was CBS and WXIA (channel 11) was ABC, and I remember it as WQXI (wqxikid, your name sparked the memory for this post). I still get confused when I am home of what show is coming on on what channel.

I also remember channel 17 pre Ted Turner and WTBS.
Me, too-St Marks--me, too. John Pruitt, Monica, everybody moves around.

Virginia Gunn--can't recall which station but she moved to St. Simon's and married a writer--that was a hot topic of discussion once.

Wish I knew why 94.9/The Bull is so strong --cannot get 98.5/Oldies or even 97.1/The River --classic/contemporary rock at times --only a few miles from the city limits. Too many choices, perhaps?

Old 02-04-2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Me, too-St Marks--me, too. John Pruitt, Monica, everybody moves around.

Virginia Gunn--can't recall which station but she moved to St. Simon's and married a writer--that was a hot topic of discussion once.

Wish I knew why 94.9/The Bull is so strong --cannot get 98.5/Oldies or even 97.1/The River --classic/contemporary rock at times --only a few miles from the city limits. Too many choices, perhaps?
Yes, she was on Channel 5, and later moved to SSI to marry Bill Diehl. They lived there until a few years ago when they moved to Woodstock. Bill passed away a couple of years ago. What a character.
Saintmarks, I believe that Ted Turner was always involved with Channel 17...its' call letters were WTCG, and they were located in the old Shepherd house at Clifton and Briarcliff Rds.
Remember when Channel 11 had the call letters WAII? They have changed them twice, once to WQXI, then to WXIA.

Last edited by Iconographer; 02-04-2009 at 09:49 AM..

Old 02-04-2009, 09:05 AM

I know the weatherwoman from WSB has moved to ??. Tiny person.

So glad Brenda Wood has returned to a sleeker hairstyle. Must have 'the best' hair.

And, IIRC, the Weather Channel has 'headquarters' here. I think a neighbor of mine worked for them--we don't ask that sort of thing over here--their dogs were named 'Skylar' and 'Doppler'. Lab people.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
I know the weatherwoman from WSB has moved to ??. Tiny person.

So glad Brenda Wood has returned to a sleeker hairstyle. Must have 'the best' hair.

And, IIRC, the Weather Channel has 'headquarters' here. I think a neighbor of mine worked for them--we don't ask that sort of thing over here--their dogs were named 'Skylar' and 'Doppler'. Lab people.
Yes, my husband's office is next door to the WC hdqtrs in the Cumberland area. He often sees Jim Cantore jogging by. What a cutie...I'm afraid he's going to be blown out to sea if he keeps getting in the middle of those hurricanes.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:25 AM

Weather Channel--sometimes the 'only' channel I like.

Communication --it is done well here.

gavel down

Old 02-04-2009, 10:53 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,778,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
And Channel 36 had their own version...Music Connection!

Do you remember these local shows?

Officer Don and the Popeye Club (Orvil the Green Dragon, Oooey-Gooey)
Skipper Ray McCay
Today in Georgia with Ruth Kent
Dialing for Dollars
Stars of Tomorrow
Creature Feature with Bestoink Dooley
A couple of more local shows:

Mr. Pix - He was the Officer Don competitor on Channel 5, Officer Don was on WSB
In2ition - WSB had a quiz show for high school students.

The latter was my one claim to fame for local TV personalities. Dan Atkinson, the former WSB weatherman was the MC for this show. He was formerly related to me, he and my brother married sisters, so he was my sister-in-law's brother-in-law. He came to our house once in Hogansville when I was a pimply teen.

My other claim to fame was my mother taught Alfred Jenkins' daughter piano lessons. Alfred was a falcons wide receiver who later was a sports reporter on WAGA. He was originally from Hogansville, his daughter was raised there and he came to one of the piano recitals. I bragged about these two connections with my friends in little Hogansville. What a name dropper I was!

Old 02-04-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
A couple of more local shows:

Mr. Pix - He was the Officer Don competitor on Channel 5, Officer Don was on WSB
In2ition - WSB had a quiz show for high school students.

The latter was my one claim to fame for local TV personalities. Dan Atkinson, the former WSB weatherman was the MC for this show. He was formerly related to me, he and my brother married sisters, so he was my sister-in-law's brother-in-law. He came to our house once in Hogansville when I was a pimply teen.

My other claim to fame was my mother taught Alfred Jenkins' daughter piano lessons. Alfred was a falcons wide receiver who later was a sports reporter on WAGA. He was originally from Hogansville, his daughter was raised there and he came to one of the piano recitals. I bragged about these two connections with my friends in little Hogansville. What a name dropper I was!
Oh yeah, Mr Pix was Dave Michaels (became an anchor at WAGA later)
What about:
Buddy Farnan's Magic Funnies
Tubby and Lester
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta