U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2009, 08:38 AM

23,125 posts, read 35,935,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulEastSider View Post

EDIT: Scanned the article, it says Cross Roads is located in MIDTOWN, not downtown.
That's right; Spring St joins Peachtree in upper Midtown.
There was another popular restaurant about half a block down Peachtree at the time called Mammy's Shanty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 05:35 PM
Foz

3 posts, read 20,045 times
StPaulEastSider, thanks for the article! We drove 50 miles to eat there way back in the 70's and it was definitely worth the trouble. I remember thinking the seafood there was as good as any I'd ever had in Florida -- and apparently we weren't the only ones who thought so, as the place was packed whenever we ate there. I wish I could have a big platter of their fried oysters tonight...mmmmm...

Old 07-22-2009, 03:40 PM

225 posts, read 519,255 times
How about the old C&S building? I can't remember exactly where the round structure was in the city but I remember it as a little kid. I also remember it being demolished after NationsBank (i.e. Bank of America) put up a taller structure that was rumored to be designed by an architect student at Tech.

I also even remember going to church at the Tabernacle, believe it or not! Whenever I go there for a concert, I still think about how it's so cool that it was renovated.

BTW, my husband LOVES this site:
www.atlantatimemachine.com/

Old 07-22-2009, 10:16 PM

225 posts, read 519,255 times
Default Kool Korners Grocery was the place to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj73 View Post
Kool Korners Grocery. The only place you would see professionals stand outside in the cold or summer heat just to get one of their cuban sandwiches. The building was torn down just this past month. (tear)

Oooh.... long life Alfonso... I heard he finally retired or something like that? I have yet to find another Cuban sandwich that's worthy of competing with Kool Korners (tear)

Old 07-23-2009, 10:58 PM

20 posts, read 102,152 times
I believe the "round" C&S building was on North Ave at W. Peachtree, across and up from the Varsity. It was largely designed by Dan Santacroce, a Tech architectural student, then instructor, also one of the many famous Drama Tech directors and actors of the '50s, '60s, and '70s.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:57 AM

2,318 posts, read 1,589,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Here's another: Atlanta Stadium (or Altanta - Fulton Co. Stadium). Not saying that it was a better ballpark than Turner Field by any means. Just have a lot of good memories of going there, a lot of history, sad it is gone.

The Atlanta Stadium . I was there when the Beatles were in town next in the 60s . Not the concert but outside listening .

Went to Misty Waters and Playland dances . Also the Varsity was the place to go .

I cry everytime I go there to visit . it's like a panic attack to see what they did to that once safe beautiful city .

Old 07-24-2009, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Yep and later on it moved to Cherokee Plaza in Brookhaven.
I saw BB King there in 1979 and Diana Ross was sitting in front of me. I kid you not, attending the concert in that tiny little theater were:

Diana
Ryan O'Neal
Tatum O'Neal
Kristy McNichol
Eric Clapton
The Pointer Sisters
KC of KC and the Sunshine Band

They all got up on stage with BB for the encore.

I got on stage with BB King at the Electric Ballroom across from Fox Theatre ' if I rememebr the name right ', it may have been 1979 . He sang the Trill is Gone for half an hour while my boyfriend and I danced . I was young but thought that song would never end, think BB was playing with us ,haha .

We use to go to The Rose Room to see rock groups and Uncle Sams . Saw Percy Sledge, Johnny Winters and many more .

Anyone go to he Georgia Jam with ZZ Tops, Alman Bro.s ,Marshal Tucker and others ? I was the one jumping rom the flag pole, and I didn't do drugs but I was high on beer that day . Maybe pot too since it was everywhere .

Old 07-24-2009, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
Restaurants:

Cleve's: Honey dipped chicken
Jilly's: loaf of onion rings
Coach and Six: First nice restaurant I went to as a child.
Boston Sea Party: Lobster and a buffet
Rio Vista: fried catfish
Korea House: my first taste of Korean cuisine

Shopping:
Davidson's
Rich's (the original Pink Pig)
Buckhead Men's Shop

I miss the Flames. I have fond memories of going to ice hockey games as a child too.

Remember the candy store across from Rich's dntn.?

Or Robert Hall Ladies clothes . HorseShoe Catfish on Moreland .

Old 07-24-2009, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanDawg View Post
Is anyone old enough to remember the Chattahoochee Raft Race??? Man was that ever a spectacle. I'll bet there was more alcohol drank and more weed burnt on that single day every year than there was teh next three months in Atlanta!!! I remember one year just a few years before it became politically incorrect to float down the Hooch in a bunch of innertubes dressed like a pirate (or what have you) and we were heading to the river from south Cobb county (Mableton) anyway right past Bankhead Highway on 285 there we saw some folks odviously heading to the raft race and we pulled alongside them and started honking and hollering and sure enough they were smokking a doobie and I promise you that we passed that joint between cars going aroud I-285!! Man those were the days!!!

I went to the rafting party on Hooch, I hit one of the drunks who ran right in front of me , thank goodness he jumped up and ran so guess he wasn't hurt . Maybe the late 70s .

Old 07-24-2009, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleanorBrigman View Post
Many of you probably don't know about 1950's Atlanta. It was a great place to live.

Five Points was where everyone wanted to be. Rich's and Macy's in particular. The streets were clean. There were no homeless people. We would go to the roxy theater to see movies. The schools were good. Crime was low. It was really a great place to live and grow up, and I wish we could go back to that point.

Wish I could die in the same nation I lived in , it was a great city . my family owned rentals in Little Five Points and Grant Park and West End . We lived back and forth from Atlanta to Stone Mountain when I was a kid . Had the best of two worlds , country with well water and city with it running .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or