U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2009, 02:47 AM

2,318 posts, read 1,589,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
LOL

Do you remember when I-75 stopped at what is now Barrett Parkway and you had to divert to 41 to Cartersville and pick up 75 again to go to Chattanooga or other points north? I remember that it was a 6 lane connector to 41 and thought it was overkill way out there in the country. Now it is completely clogged with big box retailers, restaurants and auto dealers. It doesn't seem that long ago....

You remember when it ended on s.side and you had to tae 19 -41 to Daytona ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 01:50 PM

20 posts, read 102,152 times
Me, I grew up in Atlanta in the '40s, '50s, and '60s and I've never lived for any real length of time anywhere else. But I have spent a lot of time in other cities. College, the service, and for my work, and I've talked to a whole lot of folks about how they feel about their cities. Sure, lots has changed here and it isn't what it was in its past but I can remember how people said the exact same thing at any time along the way.

Things always change but I still love the city and still think it's a great place to live. Every place had and has its bad points and good points. My folks came here in 1939 and never left. I was born in Boston, MA (my grandmother's house during the war.) I've been back and, thanks but no thanks, I'll stick to Atlanta.

Just the way I feel about it.

If you haven't seen this site, try it. If you've got good memories about Atlanta, you'll love wandering this one.

ATLANTA TIME MACHINE

Old 09-11-2009, 04:16 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,746,405 times
Does anybody remember:

1. Sharon's Showcase
2. The Gate
3. American Rap Maker (later American Music Maker) with Arnell Starr
4. Atlanta Jams (the live teen dance/club show)
5. Club 559 (in its prime)
6. The video game arcade at South Dekalb Mall
7. Great Games and Litchfield on Covington and Panola
8. Five Points Flea Market (before to was remodeled and became "The Mall")
9. Vibes music store at Decatur Station
10. Edward J Tapes (Pillow Bass), A-Town Players, Sammy Sam, and Kilo Ali

..and am I just imagining this, or was there a video game arcade inside Lenox Mall at some point?

Old 12-08-2009, 01:54 PM

3 posts, read 11,467 times
How about Timothy John's, P.J. Haley's, Carlos McGees, The Beer Mug, Studebakers, The Limelight at the Disco Kroger, concerts at the Omni, ( the Toys For Tots Concert with like 10-15 majors bands that lasted all day for $8!) Abernathy was dirt, The Publix at Roswell and Abernathy was a Kudzu field, where The Weber School is, was horse fields!

Old 12-08-2009, 03:33 PM

8,862 posts, read 15,084,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrilln View Post
How about Timothy John's, P.J. Haley's, Carlos McGees, The Beer Mug, Studebakers, The Limelight at the Disco Kroger, concerts at the Omni, ( the Toys For Tots Concert with like 10-15 majors bands that lasted all day for $8!) Abernathy was dirt, The Publix at Roswell and Abernathy was a Kudzu field, where The Weber School is, was horse fields!
Carlos McGees, Beer Mug, Omni, Studebakers, The Limelight/Disco Kroger--
Yes, Yes, Yes

How About--'Uncle Sams'--maybe on W. Ptree--it had trees and tiny white lights and that was around ??'74, '75, '76???---

On Roswell Rd--maybe '78 or later--a huge disco--lots of happy hours spent there-and one night my crazy friend--found someone and left me there--I took a cab home--we still argue about that--lol

The Prado--Bennigans--Tequila Sunrise--steak on stick and that must have been '76 0r '77

Somewhere on Powers Ferry--there was a bar with a mechanical bull--Urban Cowboy was popular then--who knows when that was ??? What was the name.

LOL--Treetop Apts--how I ever drove up and down those hills in my crappy Pinto I can't say---it was fun though--The Clubhouse--what a swinging single life we thought we had---crazy times--so glad I didn't fully participate in all that was going on---what a time

Riverbend---my friend lived there--and thought she would find a real Prince there---that girl--that girl--I love her but--no she found all the Toads--I kept telling her to Get It Together--she is a wonderful person and today can't believe she was 'that person'

Yes, we were all insane--leisure suits, chains, bell bottoms, tube tops, burning the candles, listening to the music and who knows what others might have done---LOL

The 70's--Long Live the Silver Ball.

Then came the 80's---a busy career time for me and all I can remember is 'Men At Work'--something, something chunder--and starting to 'Grow Up'--LOL--I still think everyone should try that--the world is a lot like middle school to me--today--what can people be thinking---I generally say--driving very defensively in the hellacious Atlanta traffic--very bad today--and yesterday--over here --Emory to Decatur--but that is nothing new--and cope anyway you can is the motto---so it seems. I blew my horn a lot yesterday--at those changing lanes and trying to push into the traffic, into my car---yelled at few--one caused me to block an intersection- SUV witch--saw a line of cars a block long and honked at me to 'GO"---I told her she was insane--got the 'Who, Me'--What Did I Do--Response. LOL--Yes, you--honked at me to move when you saw that we would all be waiting through a couple of lights....

That is what people will remember about 21st Atlanta--the terrible drivers. jmo.

Just don't cross my path if you are a 'Bad' driver--OK?

LOL

Old 12-08-2009, 08:47 PM

97 posts, read 317,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
Good Old Days Treehouse? There was one on Roswell Rd. across from American Pie back in the day, and I know they had the flowerpot thing going.
Loved that place....... Had a sand court volleyball court in the backyard.

GOOD THREAD

Old 12-09-2009, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radley View Post
Loved that place....... Had a sand court volleyball court in the backyard.

GOOD THREAD
lol--it is my favorite thread.

I know went once to the Treehouse on Roswell Rd--but went many times to the one in the Emory Village--so many good flowerpots--wish they'd do that again--might be something like that around the DeKalb Farmers' Market or Avondale--a place I love to go. So creative and so interesting. I have a friend that grew up in one of the old homes near the park--what that must have been like--very good, jmo. Her family like many had some rather complex issues but she was a determined woman and has done a lot with her life--artist, teacher, single mom and much much more. She marches to Thoreau's drum--lol--as it has never been marched to before. What a Lady and what a Friend.

There is one song that she doesn't like--I can't say the name--she really doesn't like her name mentioned in that way--but it was a good Disco tune by Laura Branigan--I liked to dance to it--doesn't mean much of anything to me--but it really bothers her. Artistic types--lol--just don't rattle their cages---I have learned that.

Oh--what is going on in Decatur now--restaurants--I want to go to 'Twain's'--my favorite author from his genre--and a lot more. Atlanta was good 'Then'--but 'Better' now--must be the work of the Boomers? With help from Gens W,X, Y and Z---if that is what anyone from 20 something to ??40 something is/are called. I can't keep up with all the 'labels'. I know I was/am a 'Middle Boomer'---Woodstock Boomer. LOL--how many categories of Boomers are there--a 'Deep' question---it happened the Baby Boom of the 20th Century, yes, it did--and the world has changed. LOL--do all of you feel that you are living in 'The Age of Aquarius' and how's your 'Hair'--that was popular the summer of '67?? I think--5 Points//Hippies-going to San Francisco with flowers in our hair. I listened to the 'sappy' songs--a romantic--would cry over them--'Angel in the Morning', 'Sunny', Judy Collins--'I've looked at life from both sides now'---'Moons and junes and ferris wheels'--I thought that was how life should would be---Joan Baez--'Diamonds in Rust'---oh, yes I had that experience, too.

Glad to have been at West GA College in the late 60's/70's---it was a good place to 'Be Young, Be Foolish and Be Happy'--as the Atlanta Tam's suggested.

The big ad that year was for Mayer and Berkeley--'This diamond ring'--oh--everybody got engaged---it was what you lived to do.

ROFLMAO---I didn't and am very glad I didn't do that. Bought a ring a few years ago--had some stones reset and Jeff at Alexander's at Toco Hill designed my perfect ring. They are great at Alexanders---been in Toco Hill since the late 50's, IIRC. A family store---go visit them--lol--nicest people you can hope to meet.

Toco Hill is a good shopping center--just enough of what you need and nothing very fancy--that works for me. LOL--I really need to move to St. Simon's--right, Lovin Decatur. Most incredible place in the state--it just is.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:41 PM

3,069 posts, read 6,617,345 times
I was at my parent's for Thanksgiving and my mom was entertaining my kids with these little sticks that you put in the fireplace and the flames turn colors. It all sounded sort of toxic to me so I looked at the package. There was a Richway price tag on the bag! I had forgotten all about Richway (I think it was Target's precursor).

And yes - you are right, my mom doesn't throw ANYTHING away!

Old 12-10-2009, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I was at my parent's for Thanksgiving and my mom was entertaining my kids with these little sticks that you put in the fireplace and the flames turn colors. It all sounded sort of toxic to me so I looked at the package. There was a Richway price tag on the bag! I had forgotten all about Richway (I think it was Target's precursor).

And yes - you are right, my mom doesn't throw ANYTHING away!
Oh, you should meet 'Flo'--we go back to the 50's with the 'don't throw it away--you might need it' items. Kills her to just throw something that she could use later away---That is Very Southern.

Richway--I ran up a few credit cards in there --mainly probably buying candles or records who knows. I had no sense straight out of college and would 'Go To Richway' with a credit card and feel like Bill Gates. LOL--it took a second job and 'financial Advice'--to help me stop doing that. Richway was such an innovative concept at the time.

Near the N. Druid Hills Richway was a restaurant I liked--hamburgers, spinach salad and lots of pies--black bottom was the best--does anyone know the name. I wish that restaurant chain would come back--fingers crossed.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:20 AM

976 posts, read 1,930,681 times
Great memories in this thread. I can think of a few to add:

Penrod's at Northlake...a great meat (meet?) market

Victoria's Station..the restaurant in a train car

Handy City...the store that took on Home Depot and lost

Richway...the department store (not affiliated with Rich's) that had it all except a solid way to check you out. It was one of the early adopters of bar code technology and just didn't have it right.

D'Lites..the fast food chain that offered healthy fare. Didn't last long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or