U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2010, 10:49 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,364,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayster1955 View Post
does anyone know the name of the monster wooden structure restaurant that was up on the hill overlooking 285 and the river
Yep, Baby Doe's!

I think there is a big office building there now.

Great place, and fond memories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 11:01 AM

3,069 posts, read 6,617,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayster1955 View Post
does anyone know the name of the monster wooden structure restaurant that was up on the hill overlooking 285 and the river

It was a restaurant called Colorado Mining Company.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:14 AM

23,125 posts, read 35,935,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
It was a restaurant called Colorado Mining Company.
I think john is correct is correct about that being Baby Doe's. Colorado Mining Company was on Peachtree St in Buckhead, near Piedmont Hospital. The owner was the father of a friend of mine, which was great because we rarely paid for a drink there.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:21 AM

248 posts, read 564,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Yep, Baby Doe's!

I think there is a big office building there now.

Great place, and fond memories.
I remember going to Baby Doe's as a kid and being genuinely scared to get too close to the windows on the bottom floor because I thought I might either fall out the window or upset the balance of the building and make the place topple down the hill.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:25 AM

3,069 posts, read 6,617,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I think john is correct is correct about that being Baby Doe's. Colorado Mining Company was on Peachtree St in Buckhead, near Piedmont Hospital. The owner was the father of a friend of mine, which was great because we rarely paid for a drink there.

Of course - you are right!

Old 01-21-2010, 07:52 AM

29 posts, read 137,452 times
Quote:
Not that I remember, but my mother's next door neighbors owned the House of Eng restaurant near the corner of 10th and Peachtree. It had to be one of the original Chinese restaurants in the area.
Was it the House of Eng that had the Suzy Wong Lounge named after the movie The World of Suzy Wong?

Old 01-23-2010, 11:04 AM

12 posts, read 109,108 times
The deli at Ansley Mall in to 60's and 70's was CROPS & B. This stood for Corn Beef, Roast Beef, Oysters, Pastrami, Salami & Beer. Closed in the 70's sometime I think and it was way-ahead of its time. Now the Radio Shak ands Ansley Wine/Beer/Package Store sits approximately in its old space.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:36 AM

Default Storyland

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Does anyone remember "Storyland" (at least I think that is what we called it)? It was a tiny little theme park with story book character rides and shows. I kind of remember it being near where Cumberland Mall is now, but I didn't drive then, of course, so I may be way off!
I grew up across the street from the folks that owned StoryLand and I went there many times. It sat the land that now the AT&T facility and also the south end of the adjoining parking lot for the shopping center on US41, just beyond the river up the hill on the right south of Akers Mill Road.

Old 01-23-2010, 12:48 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,364,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarykid View Post
Was it the House of Eng that had the Suzy Wong Lounge named after the movie The World of Suzy Wong?
I believe so! Right around the corner from Backstreet, right?

Old 01-23-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
I remember the Zayre on Ponce De Leon (where Cracker Field was) and the one on Piedmont. The Piedmont location later became the Atlanta Flea Market, then was torn down for the Lindbergh MARTA station.
Before the Zayre was built there, it was the location of the Piedmont Drive-In.
There was a Richway on N Druid Hills Rd, where the Target Greatland is now. The current location of the Scott Flea Market in Forest Park was a Richway as well.
The store on Piedmont/Lindbergh that became the Atlanta Flea Market was Arlan's, not Zayre's. Arlan's didn't last very long, circa mid to late 1960's then sat empty for awhile before it became the Atlanta Flea Market...the best and most successful re-purposing of a building in the vicinity I've even seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or