U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2010, 01:04 PM

12 posts, read 109,108 times

Advertisements

Here's one from the late 60's/early 70's.......The Oogleblook. They were a small chain owned by Morrison's (the cafeteria folks) and there was one on Pharr Road at Grandview Avenue. In fact, the round building still stands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 01:22 PM

12 posts, read 109,108 times
Someone mentioned an old restaurant called "The Royal Peacock." I vaguely remember this one...anyone have any specifics on the place, location, etc.?

Old 01-24-2010, 04:52 PM

3,647 posts, read 4,821,584 times
While I've been watching ice skating this afternoon, I remembered a rink near the old Norseman Apartments in the Cobb County/ Cumberland area. My one attempt at skating took place here, where I alternately tippytoed and fell one lap and then quit. The friend who drug me down to the rink actually became quite good for a while!

Old 01-24-2010, 08:55 PM

697 posts, read 2,684,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl-Atlanta View Post
Someone mentioned an old restaurant called "The Royal Peacock." I vaguely remember this one...anyone have any specifics on the place, location, etc.?
The Royal Peacock was still around until fairly recently, albeit in a somewhat different mode, at the same place it's always been -- 186 1/2 Auburn Avenue. For decades, it was the epicenter of the black entertainment world of Atlanta. Everyone who was anyone in the world of black music played there from the late 1930s (it was known as The Top Hat Club until 1949) -- Ray Charles, Marvin Gaye, Aretha Franklin, Dizzy Gillespie, Bessie Smith, Louis Armstrong, B.B. King, the Supremes, and Gladys Knight and the Pips, to name only a handful. For a while, Carrie Cunningham, the owner, also operated The Royal Hotel and Restaurant next door, providing a place to stay and to eat for the black entertainers who were precluded by Jim Crow laws from staying in many of the city's other hotels.

For a while in the late 1980s, it was also the venue for performances by a number of local and national bands in what is now known as the "alternative" genre -- I saw a number of acts there myself in those days.

More recently, it has been home to reggae, dancehall, reggaeton, and other Caribbean music, though it appears that it may have recently closed again.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:21 PM

9 posts, read 26,315 times
Default car dealerships

Remember when Beaudry Ford was on the square in Decatur? Past the square on Ponce de Leon was a Chevy dealership then Hanson Buick and Calloway Olds. The Newsome family had the Texaco station and tire store across the street just to the west and behind them was a Chrysler dealership. As long as your father was looking at cars or having the car serviced, the salesmen were nice about letting you sit in the various models in the showroom. Two Chevrolet dealers I remember are Tim Timmers and East Point Chevrolet.

Ah, that brings back memories of when Hub Ford was on Peachtree just North of Piedmont and Bill Davidson Buick had a car spinning around on a turntable on the corner of Peachtree and Piedmont. Jim Letz Olds was just South of Piedmont. You had the Buckhead Chrysler-Plymouth and a Dodge dealership just South of Peachtree on Piedmont (don't remember the exact dealership) next to Hennesy Cadillac, Crain-Daly VW/Subaru just past Pharr on Piedmont, Global Imports BMW on Pharr about a block from RBM Mercedes Benz when they were at the corner of Pharr and Grandview, Central Chevrolet on the site that now has a Publix in the Peach Shopping Center and I seem to remember a Honda dealership also on Pharr. You coiuld find just about any make or model in a very small area. One thing to remember is "If Tim can't do it, Nobody Can!"

Old 01-24-2010, 11:35 PM

123 posts, read 340,249 times
my grandmother loved the Royal peacock. She told me many stories about it.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:03 AM

222 posts, read 633,272 times
Thumbs up A thread dear to my heart and soul...

Born & raised in Atlanta, Ga. I could comment on 90% of the posts made so far. Really could!

Here's some great links; some featuring my contributions:

Saint Joseph High School

Best time of my life. We went to school in the "red light district" of downtown Atlanta. Oh, the tales I could tell.

Groceteria.com Message Board • View topic - History Of Kroger On Moreland Ave. (Atlanta)

Grew up in SE Atlanta. Moreland shopping center was a daily haunt. Kroger was where my mom shopped.

Harold's Barbecue - Atlanta, GA

Harold's remains my favorite BBQ joint. If for nothing else, it's a true blast to the past.

Cinema Treasures | Regal Hollywood 24

Superb site for movie fans. I have a post about The "Hollywood 24", which at one time was a wonderful drive-in movie location. When we moved from under the glow of the Starlight Drive-In, I found solace in the 85 North---for a while

http://cinematreasures.org/theater/20062/

Sky City: Southern Retail Then and Now

Another amazing site of information and history! Search!

And lastly:

If you AT ALL, have fond memories of days gone by; a different, better time---you can spend hours, exploring this former church, now filled with a mind-boggling array of history. It's the best in the city. Period!

biggarantiques.com

Old 01-31-2010, 05:15 PM

3 posts, read 16,367 times
Miss Georgia Dairies Store on Hemphill Avenue and Miss Georgia Store downtown across from the Paramount Theater both sold "Spinning Wheels". Also, does anyone remember the Orange Tekoe store that was next to the Loews Grand. Their signature drink was a lot like Orange Julius only way better

Old 01-31-2010, 05:18 PM

3 posts, read 16,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarykid View Post
Was it the House of Eng that had the Suzy Wong Lounge named after the movie The World of Suzy Wong?
Yes, Suzie Wong Lounge where Ellen Potter played piano for all the amateur singers - me included. It's where I met my wife. Still married to her after 47 years!!

Old 01-31-2010, 06:15 PM

225 posts, read 519,255 times
Default LA style modern homes? Unbelieveable

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
There is a Coosawattee Dr, in Brookhaven not far from me. Some of the most beautiful L.A.-style modern homes I've seen in Atlanta are on that street now!

Are we talking about the section between N. Druid Hills and Buford Highway, off Briarwood Rd?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or