Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2010, 09:51 PM

388 posts, read 1,125,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
A rite of passage for every elementary schooler in DeKalb County, along with the Fernbank Planetarium. My brother would not drink milk for years after visiting Mathis Dairy.
I'd pay $100 right now for a cold glass quart of Mathis chocolate milk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 09:55 PM

388 posts, read 1,125,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattyg1 View Post
Pizza by Candlelight was a special date night place to go. Good place to make up.
In Decatur? We used to go there in the late '70's.
It was Our Way Cafe in the 90's. OWC moved to Avondale Estates and the grub went downhill.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:11 AM

1 posts, read 5,772 times
Does anyone remember a restaurant on Glenwood Road in Atlanta/Decatur that had telephones at your table that you used to order your food? What was the name of that restaurant?

Old 06-20-2010, 10:31 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,932,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattyg1 View Post
I went to East Lake Elementary. Seems like we went several time to Mathis Dairy and Frito Lay. Maybe the Girl Scouts took us also. We also went to Emory to see the mummy's.
Yep - the Frito Lay plant (now a Lowe's on Peachtree Industrial) was a 5th grade standard trip. You came away with a cool bag of samples!

Other Dekalb County field trips that I can remember:

The Symphony ("remember not to clap until the conductor turns around"), Fernbank Planetarium, the Coca Cola Bottling Plant, the Wren's Nest, the Capitol (do I remember a two headed something in a case there? Maybe a snake?) and the monastery in Conyers (I bet that is a big no-no now)

Old 06-24-2010, 09:08 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,382,965 times
For me it would be Backstreet and Harrys in a Hurry (any location).

Also - Champs BBQ on South Cobb Dr. One of my favorite places.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:58 PM

9 posts, read 22,114 times
Default Randy Newman played there 1976-77/memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
The Great Southeastern Music Hall at Broadview Plaza?
This was the spot! Health Food great music, how about the bathrooms anybody got any old photos of them, This was before the Yuppie ruined our country, and music was music.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:24 PM

163 posts, read 306,889 times
Let's see - in no certain order. I know some of these have been referenced previously but just to show support. These are off the top of my head. I'm sure there is plenty I left out

Lake Spivey (before privatization)
Pilgreens
Dipper Dans' Ice Cream Parlor
Shriner's Circus
Milo Hamilton
Freddie Miller
Ed Caparal
SouthEastern Fair
Funtown
Sunday bus rides to the Falcons games from Manuel's before bars could sell alcohol on Sunday
72 Lanes (the bowling alley next to it)
The skating rink next to 72 lanes
The slot car racing shop next to them (guessing many don't even know what slot car racing was)
LUMs (restaurant chain now gone for many years)
Shakey's Pizza
The old/previous Atlanta airport location
Arlans Dept store
PopEye club (Orville the Dragon, Oooey-Gooey, Musical Chairs)
Quixie in Dixie (WQXI)
The Roman Lantern
Carusos
Wingos
Pink Pig (thats fairly well known)
the Magnolia room
Davis Bros cafeteria
Skinny Bobby Harper
Mickie and Teddy
Ross Britain the Boogie King of North Atlanta
The Catacombs
The Great Speckled Bird
Fund raising Fish Fry events in Piedmont Park
Road Atlanta Racing
The Pewter Mug
Virginia Gunn
The Playboy Club
WPLO 590
Rose's Cantina (predecessor of 688)
Lou Hudson
Norm Van Brocklyn
Municipal Auditorium (now part of GSU)
National Biscuit Company in West End
Bill Tush
Now Explosion
Future Shock (James Brown's show on TBS)
Ted Turner getting drunk and using MARTA buses as a taxi service
Pascal "I-285" Perez
Boom Boom Geoffrion

Old 07-09-2010, 10:33 PM

322 posts, read 465,153 times
The talk about Old Hickory House brings back memories of Columbia Mall - anchored by Sears and Davison's. It's now a new super Walmart. The original Old Hickory House, I believe, was located across the street on Memorial Drive. It was the best - the one still open at Northlake doesn't compare.

RE: Rio Vista - the salad dressing was very similar (if not the same) as Catalina.

The Atlanta Chiefs - the original back in '68 - won Atlanta's only national championship until the Brave finally won a world series. And or yeah, the Atlanta Apollos.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
The Armory, Backstreet, Weekends, Blu, The Metro, Kaya, Club Anytime, The Anvil, Hoedowns, Transfer, Deana's, Talulahs, The Sports Page, Revolution, Options, Red Chair, Velvet, Axis, Petrus, Gallus, Buddies, Lipstix, Lavita's, Better Bodies, Colony Square Athletic Club...
You forgot The Cove

Old 07-09-2010, 10:48 PM

The Playboy Club - downtown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta