Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2010, 04:34 PM

12 posts, read 58,989 times

Advertisements

Anyone remember WOAK radio... One Mint Julep (Clovers), Work with Me Annie (Midnighters)? Or Elvis before he was really famous ... That's All Right Mama, Blue Moon of Kentucky? Buckhead Bowling Alley - with real people who reset the pins? Hickory Pit Barbeque on Roswell Rd.? Rusty's on Peachtree? The Stauffer System (a "reducing" salon on Peachtree near Peachtree Creek) with vibrating belts that were supposed to make you thinner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 06:41 PM

1 posts, read 4,787 times
anyone know where I can find pictures of Mooney's Lake?

Old 08-30-2010, 01:37 PM

20 posts, read 125,461 times
OLDATLANTANATIVE, Yes, I remember all of that and more. By the way, did you mean WAOK (not WOAK)?? My dad was an owner and DJ during those early R&B days. How about Piano Red (You Got the Right String, Baby, But the Wrong Yoyo) The Buckhead Theater? The Buckhead Zesto? Jim Salle's Record Shop? Tom Thumb Raceway (slot cars) in the Peachtree Battle Shopping Center?

Old 08-30-2010, 02:03 PM

20 posts, read 125,461 times
KennyLane, I've just posted the only pic of Mooney's I've ever been able to find on a Facebook page. This sould take you there I hope. I think you'll like the site anyway.

You've lived in ATL a long time if you remember.... | Facebook

Old 09-01-2010, 11:25 AM

255 posts, read 464,081 times
The YellowJacket drivein on the south side, slot cars at westgate shopping center and the Westgate movie - first theater I ever saw with two movies playing at the same time. Going downtown on a Saturday and dressing up in suits and dresses. Eating at the Magnolia Room. The Lowe's Grand and the Rialto...when it was a movie theater. The candy and nuts store in that funny triangle at Five Points. The big Coke Sign over Five Points, Lenox Square when it was new....for that matter ALL the malls in Atlanta when they were new. Remember when you'd drive all the way across town to visit a new mall? Gene & Gabe's in Buckhead, the Slimelight and the Circus. Baker Motor Company with the new Ferraris. Hub Ford, Smith Johnson Pontiac, Boomershine downtown. Gary McKee, Yetta Levett and Red Neckerson.

Oh hell, give me a few minutes and I'll probably come up with more. That's all I have off the top of my head.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:33 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard44 View Post
KennyLane, I've just posted the only pic of Mooney's I've ever been able to find on a Facebook page. This sould take you there I hope. I think you'll like the site anyway.

You've lived in ATL a long time if you remember.... | Facebook
That pic is worth a million dollars.

LOL--I don't think I went --was taken as a child--more than once or twice--but that is exactly the way I remember Mooney's Lake. Behind Broadview Plaza--all very hazy.

There weren't many places to swim at the time--50's--Piedmont Park, Grant Park--it was quite an event to swim.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:24 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
That pic is worth a million dollars.

LOL--I don't think I went --was taken as a child--more than once or twice--but that is exactly the way I remember Mooney's Lake. Behind Broadview Plaza--all very hazy.

There weren't many places to swim at the time--50's--Piedmont Park, Grant Park--it was quite an event to swim.
How cool! This is just about where The Dump sits now.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:49 PM

32,020 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackalope View Post
Gary McKee, Yetta Levett and Red Neckerson.
Every time we fire up the truck I can't help but sing Red's immortal "I'm Gonna Drive My Truck, All Over the World."

Airchexx.com | Category Archive | Gary McKee

Old 09-02-2010, 08:18 AM

29 posts, read 165,336 times
We bought our 1957 Pontiac at Goldman Taber Pontiac. Sometime later it became Taber Pontiac.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:39 AM

1 posts, read 4,669 times
One of the earlier Hickory Houses was on the hill on Northside Drive going north toward the railroad underpass. It changed owners frequently after the 80's.
TechRat53
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta