Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2010, 03:27 PM

15 posts, read 97,097 times

Advertisements

Wow this has to be one of the best threads ever.....i remember so much! Lets see...How about the very modern C&S bank off of Moreland next to the Sunshine dept store shopping center( its still there but in ruins) Then there is Moreland shopping center w/ W.T grants,J.C penneys, Kroger, Otasco,revco drugs,Winn Dixie, some kind of caferteria food place, and at one time you could get your drivers license there. Then there is Windfaire head shop off of clairmont, Book nook and Eagles nest??? steak house where the kroger is at on clairmont...Woolworths,Big star @ Ansley mall and Morrisons. Then there is Buford/ Clairmont mall Woolco dept store, the movie place there...Btw the shopping area that had the booknook & windfaire there is/was a liquor store there it looked as though it might of been a gas station( which would be odd to have these stores connected to a gas station during that time) anybody know what that building was??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 09:17 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantaboy View Post
Then there is Windfaire head shop off of clairmont, Book nook and Eagles nest??? steak house where the kroger is at on clairmont...Woolworths,Big star @ Ansley mall and Morrisons. Then there is Buford/ Clairmont mall Woolco dept store, the movie place there...Btw the shopping area that had the booknook & windfaire there is/was a liquor store there it looked as though it might of been a gas station( which would be odd to have these stores connected to a gas station during that time) anybody know what that building was??
Gosh - I grew up right around there and went to Montclair Elementary just down the street - sort of across from what is now Century Center. I remember the liquor store as having a drive through, but don't really remember a gas station attached to it. Of course, I was sitting in the back of my parent's Chevrolet station wagon at the time, but I think it was just a liquor store with a drive through.

I used to sell my used books at the Book Nook and then go across the street to a garden center, buy a Coke from their machine and play with the cats that hung around the garden center.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:41 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,356,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Gosh - I grew up right around there and went to Montclair Elementary just down the street - sort of across from what is now Century Center. I remember the liquor store as having a drive through, but don't really remember a gas station attached to it. Of course, I was sitting in the back of my parent's Chevrolet station wagon at the time, but I think it was just a liquor store with a drive through.

I used to sell my used books at the Book Nook and then go across the street to a garden center, buy a Coke from their machine and play with the cats that hung around the garden center.
Wow, I live very near all of this!

Loved the Book Nook, but they moved a couple of years ago to the corner of Clairmont & North Druid Hills.

The liquor store closed last Fall. Sad to say, that little plaza has become an eyesore, and either needs massive reno or demolition.

This area was undergoing quite the renaissance with new retail & restaurants before the economy tanked.

For folks familiar with this side of town, two old and notable businesses have re-opened recently, though.

The old Fuzzy's from North Druid Hills has been reincarnated as Pirate's Pub. Joe Dale's son (from the wonderful Joe Dales Cajun Station) is continuing the tradition of the famous grouper sandwiches Fuzzy's was known for.

Also, the old Havana Cuban Restaurant that burned down a few years ago on Buford Hwy @ North Druid Hills has reopened - much larger, and as good as ever.

Both happen to be located next door to each other in the new Aldi anchored Crossroads Village @ Buford & Clairmont.

Oh, and the garden center you remember was actually Pike's old original store #1, as the employee's affectionately called it. They tore it down several years back for the aforementioned Crossroads Village.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:09 PM

222 posts, read 752,515 times
Quote:
Wow this has to be one of the best threads ever.....i remember so much! Lets see...How about the very modern C&S bank off of Moreland next to the Sunshine dept store shopping center( its still there but in ruins) Then there is Moreland shopping center w/ W.T grants,J.C penneys, Kroger, Otasco,revco drugs,Winn Dixie, some kind of caferteria food place, and at one time you could get your drivers license there. Then there is Windfaire head shop off of clairmont, Book nook and Eagles nest??? steak house where the kroger is at on clairmont...Woolworths,Big star @ Ansley mall and Morrisons. Then there is Buford/ Clairmont mall Woolco dept store, the movie place there...Btw the shopping area that had the booknook & windfaire there is/was a liquor store there it looked as though it might of been a gas station( which would be odd to have these stores connected to a gas station during that time) anybody know what that building was??
I grew up on Woodland Ave., and I was constantly at Moreland Shopping Center. The caferteria you recall, was the "L&M." It had very loyal customers. My dad was the owner's attorney. The place had amazing Southern cooking. Everything made from scratch. One of my favorites was the Country Fried Steak & rice.

The "L&M" shut it's doors, as the area declined. A public housing project being built a mile away, can do that. In time, all the historical businesses that made Moreland a classic shopping center, left. Today, it's dirty, dangerous, and in a pathetic state of affairs.

Moreland Shopping Center

FYI-The "L&M" morphed into "PaPa's Country Buffet, and did a booming business on Buford Highway, in the building next to the Kmart @ 285. Again, some of the best country cooking to be found, and at dirt cheap. Carved roast beef, homemade chicken & dumplings, fresh catfish, turkey & dressing---and a slew of fresh veggies---the place was the "Dillard House of Atlanta."

The steakhouse across from The Book Nook was called "Alexander's Eagle." It sat exactly where the Kroger is today. "Windfaire" fell victim to the owner's refusual to pay his taxes. The Book Nook decided to move a tad up the road to Toco Hills. Buford Highway was in decay.

Buford-Clairmont Mall had a few interesting moments in my teenage years. One of the first "clubs" I ever hung out at was there. It was called "C.W. Shaw's." Around the back of the mall, was my mechanic's shop. The same "Sunshine's" department store that was on Moreland Ave., also had a location in Buford-Clairmont. The movie theatre---Loew's Twelve Oaks can be found here:

Cinema Treasures | Twelve Oaks Theatre

Old 02-08-2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Yeah, I know.

That entire area would probably shock you in many ways (in a good way), if you haven't seen it too recently. The area around Dresden East of Peachtree is now a blossoming village center with sidewalk cafe's, lofts, rowhomes, etc. There are still some remnants of the old "mill village" houses scattered about, but they are becoming rarer.

All of this has happened since the Brookhaven train station opened. I'll try to take some pics in the next few days if I can, to give you a peek.
Before the MARTA station came in, I had a couple haunts there. "Atlanta Discount Music" & "Farmer John's Country Buffet." There was also a BBQ place there, who's owner's son was called "Brookhaven Bob." He was not right in the head, and weighed about 400 pounds. He was a "constant" in the neighborhood. Standing on the corner, yelling at passing cars---generally making a pain of himself!"

Old 02-09-2010, 02:02 PM

Pinetree...It sounds like it was a liquior store for a while( I just got the the impression that it was a gas station/garage...because of the drive thru and it reminded me of pulling up to one of those old gas stations with the presure line on the ground that would go "Ding ding" when you rolled over it...whatever it was/is it's a very interesting building!) BTW there was a "Burger Chef" across the street(on the backside)
Ulver yes thats it "L&M" I lived off of Brannen rd....its funny I can't seem to find much about Moreland shopping center. What stores do you rememer being there? BTW I was there about 4 months ago and i think the only thing that is still there that was orginal to the center is the laundry mat in the backside of the plaza.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:35 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,200 times
I definitely remember that Burger Chef. We only went there when my father was out of town and not home for dinner!

I also remember when they built the McDonalds that was just down Buford Hwy on the other side of the street from the Burger Chef. We were so impressed because it had a little fish pond outside but then one day all the fish were gone and someone who worked there said they all got shocked to death by the lights.

Why do we remember such odd stuff that happened when we were kids?

Further down on Clairmont (past the now-Kroger) were some old shanty houses in the woods. They were eventually torn down when Century Center was developed.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:45 PM

Hey Pinetree...it's crazy the things we remember when we were kids! That is interesting about Century Center( I can remember going back in that area to feed the ducks...and It seems as though the ducks are still there lol) Do you know if Clairmont lodge was part of the Days Inn at one point? Also was there a Williams Seafood in and around that area on Clairmont?

Old 02-12-2010, 05:07 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,356,662 times
Re: the Clairmont Lodge being part of Days inn - yes.

And there was indeed a Williams Seafood in the building next door to where Violette Restaurant is. They closed not too long after opening. My friends that went said it hardly compared to the original in Savannah.

That building was torn down not long ago, making way for the entrance into a massive new apartment development going in. (Replacing the Clairmont Lodge and Days Inn properties).

The old Buger Chef is a cheezy used car business now!

Old 02-12-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Pinetree...It sounds like it was a liquior store for a while( I just got the the impression that it was a gas station/garage...because of the drive thru and it reminded me of pulling up to one of those old gas stations with the presure line on the ground that would go "Ding ding" when you rolled over it...whatever it was/is it's a very interesting building!) BTW there was a "Burger Chef" across the street(on the backside)
Ulver yes thats it "L&M" I lived off of Brannen rd....its funny I can't seem to find much about Moreland shopping center. What stores do you rememer being there? BTW I was there about 4 months ago and i think the only thing that is still there that was orginal to the center is the laundry mat in the backside of the plaza.

Jeez, where to start with more Moreland Shopping Center memories. There was a Walgreen's there. A Western Auto. For a short time, there was an ice cream shop, named Peni's. One day the ' fell off, and what you saw from the road was "Penis Palor."

I recall a hot popcorn machine in the Grant's. Somehow as a youngster, I got my thumb caught in the thing, and got it cuty badly. I still have the scar.

Back down near the "L&M", was the dental office of Jay Paulen. Down from his was a barber shop. Long before AIDS, I remember them lathering up gentlemen, and giving them a close one with a straight razor.

Across the street from Moreland, was a pizza place named "Sir Pizza." Still my favorite of all time. All the toppings were ground togther, producing a unique fusion of flavor. For years I thought it was a mom & pop operation. It wasn't till the internet, did I find that they remain as a chain in TN., and the midwest. The building is now a pawn shop, but they used the original Sir Pizza "crown", for their own sign now.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_oClm5w3Om9...+Pizza+One.JPG

On down Moreland, there was a Burger Chef. My uncle used to bring me a burger about every other day. The car parts store sits on it's former address. A couple doors down, was another favorite. Lums! It's a mexican restaurant now. Of course Zesto's has been an institution there forever. Across the street from them, was an Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips. Of course, the C&S bank remains in ruins. One of the coolest structures ever. WAY ahead of it's time.
http://www.ladytrap.org/gallery/utopia

Two other places come to mind as a kid. The Magic Market store that sat up on the hill, at Moreland & Custer. Then, just past Moreland Shopping Center, there was a Tenaco. The MM is a rims store now, and the Teneco still pumps gas.

Last edited by ulver; 02-12-2010 at 07:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta