Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 10:58 AM

2 posts, read 6,313 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are considering relocating to the Atlanta Metro area. We have a young son and after doing a lot of research we have concluded that the best schools seem to be in the Johns Creek, Alpharetta, East Cobb and Roswell areas. All are also low crime. But I'm wondering about air quality in the areas. I like fresh, clean air without lots of CO2, haze, etc., pollen doesn't affect me as much as man-made pollutants. Can anyone tell me which of the above towns the absolute best breatheable air? Or can you recommend another town with great schools, low crime and better air? I work from home so commute times are not an issue. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2008, 11:34 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
Considering that all of those towns are in close proximity to each other, I doubt you'll find large differences in the air quality. Maybe if you head out into the far outskirts of Forsyth County or Cherokee County it'll be a little better, but not much.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:51 AM

308 posts, read 1,037,866 times
Atlanta has some of the worst air-quality in the country. I would say it's a little better on the northside and the areas you are looking as opposed to the southeast. But, overall it's poor here.

Old 09-18-2008, 05:55 PM

481 posts, read 2,821,959 times
they are all about the same

Old 09-18-2008, 07:24 PM

606 posts, read 2,005,258 times
all the towns you mention have horrible air quality in the summer, as does most of metro atlanta, just make sure you bring a mask and you'll be ok

Old 09-19-2008, 07:15 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
You don't need a mask, that's a little far fetched.

The humidity and heat of the Southeast have always produced haze in the summer. The Smokey mountains got their name for this. Not saying that the city of Atlanta and its congestion don't play a part, but I actually think it is better than what I remember when I was a kid, even with the growth and congestion since then. But i might be getting senile in my old age

At any rate, to echo those above, the areas mentioned are so close and so much the same, I can't see that there would be anything different one to the other.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:43 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
Metro Atlanta pretty much has bad air all over - there are no communities closer in that are going to have a significantly better quality of air than any other. The smog "drifts" here, so there are days that Cobb or Rockdale Counties can even have worse air than the inner city. Another day it will be somewhere else.

For those who suffer from allergies or respiratory problems, Atlanta (anywhere in the metro area) might not be the best bet.

Some suggested reading:

Report: Atlanta among cities with worst air | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/health/content/metro/stories/2008/05/01/websmog_0501.html - broken link)

Expert: Improving air quality now will be harder | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/printedition/2008/03/20/ozone0320.html - broken link)

2008 Atlanta Smog Forecast Results

A handy air quality widget for the metro area: Atlanta Air Quality - Yahoo! Widgets

Old 09-19-2008, 11:19 PM

823 posts, read 2,215,673 times
I don't know. Everyone always says that Atlanta is terrible for allergy sufferers but I have found the opposite to be true. When I lived in NYC, I accounted for all of Sudafed's profits for September/October. Here, nothing.

Just to echo what others have said for the OP, those towns are all close together, there is nothing that would make one have better air quality than the others.

Old 09-20-2008, 12:06 AM

2 posts, read 6,313 times
Thanks for all your replies.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:13 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,525,037 times
My allergies are about the same (as compared to MA and NJ). One thing that is helpful is a newer home. It does seem to make a difference at least for me. I really struggled living in an older home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta