Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2007, 08:03 PM

7 posts, read 19,337 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I'm looking to relocate from New Jersey to the Atlanta area and wanted to know if anyone knew anything about either Sugar Hill or Woodstock? My husband and I are going next week to check out both areas, but if anyone has any tips or opinions please let me know. I've heard that Woodstock isn't as built up as Sugar Hill. We have a 1 year old baby so we are looking for a good community where we can make some new friends easily because we won't know anyone. Which place has a better school system?

Any help or opinion would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2007, 08:20 PM

985 posts, read 5,757,044 times
Do you and your husband have home office or home based business? Woodstock and Sugar Hill are so far apart.

Old 02-12-2007, 01:58 PM

7 posts, read 19,337 times
No, my husband would most likely be working downtown Atlanta. I have heard that Sugar Hill and Woodstock are approx. 45 minutes apart. Is that true? I know that traffic is horrible going to Atlanta as well. Any advice?

Thanks.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:22 PM

985 posts, read 5,757,044 times
I have a co-worker who live in East Cobb (10 minutes south of WoodStock). It took him about 1 hour and 20 minutes to get to work at Duluth, GA in the morning. That's why I thought Sugar Hill (15 minutes north of Duluth) is so far away from WoodStock.

In either case, driving to downtown will be very difficult.

I don't know about WoodStock besides it is in the north of Cobb county. But Sugar Hill, Suwanee and South Forsyth (just west of Sugar Hill) are booming due to reasonable costs and good by Atlanta standard school system.

Old 02-13-2007, 02:53 AM

525 posts, read 1,851,268 times
Woodstock is nice, however, if your dh will be working in downtown it will be a very long commute!! I am guessing...at least an hour.

Old 03-01-2007, 03:52 PM

13 posts, read 56,620 times
I would recommend renting first. It is much better than purchasing a home and then discovering what all Atlanta drivers know. Some things you can't imagine. We rented in the beginning (our house had not sold in TN). Thank goodness! Our kid's school was only a few miles from the apt but it took forever because we had to cross I-75. Yes "cross" not get on it!! We could not get over because the traffic was backed up getting on. It can take over an hour to go 20 miles during rush hour with the flow of traffic. I would not purchase until you have been here and driven it during the rush hour. Good luck.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:43 PM

35 posts, read 221,807 times
I live in downtown Woodstock (really nice development) but it's an hour commute to downtown. Plan on it. That said, I think the charm of Woodstock is far superior to Sugar Hill. When you're in downtown Woodstock, make sure to check out either Hot Dog Heaven or the Serene Bean coffeehouse. Both are on the square. Oh, and we have a little festival on the square this weekend so you can check that out. Very quaint.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:59 PM

894 posts, read 4,348,806 times
Goodscout,

I just moved to Woodstock, east of 575. I love downtown Woodstock, you are right, it is quite charming...The serene bean has the best red velvet cake according to my sister in law who just visited.

What kind of festival is this weekend?

Old 03-02-2007, 01:20 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,318,092 times
Coming from New Jersey, it seems that the area around Woodstock would be a good fit for you because it is surrounded by horse country, which characterizes a lot of the countryside in NJ also. I don't know much about Sugar Hill, but its proximity to Lake Lanier is a plus. Also, the Gwinnett convention center and arena are close by and host major events.

But one word of caution...traffic is a nightmare! If your husband works downtown, then he will have a heck of a time commuting because both I-85 and the I-575/75 Corridors, southbound in the AM and northbound in the PM, are atrocious. Unlike many major metropolitan areas such as NY, Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, DC, and even Miami, we have no commuter rail system that makes travel from the exurbs to the city easy. Renting for one year before buying, as one earlier post suggests, is highly recommended in order to learn the layout of the area, as well as to become accustomed to traffic patterns.

Needless to say, I think that you'll really like Georgia. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta