Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 12:33 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saharaga View Post
Underground is not inherently a "bad" place. It can be a "safe" place but IMO it's a victim of it's location. That area is congested with people who have made it their daily hang out and not all of them are homeless. Underground's proximity to the Five Points MARTA station is just one of the problems that cannot be easily fixed. It is MARTA's responsibility to keep their train stations safe and they do a very poor job of it, especially at Five Points.There are "no loitering" signs posted but they are seldom enforced. I imagine it's difficult for the police to enforce the "no loitering" law there because they can always claim they're waiting for the train/bus. The police are there and so are the MARTA police. They just kind of stand around too really. More beat cops will only solve the problem temporarily IMO. The root causes have to be addressed in order fix the problem.

The large concentration of homeless people in the area is another problem that cannot be easily fixed. It certainly can't be fixed with more police.
You are right but Atlanta has a shortage of policeman.They have been trying to hire more all the time but it seems a slow process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 02:33 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,522,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saharaga View Post
Underground is not inherently a "bad" place. It can be a "safe" place but IMO it's a victim of it's location. That area is congested with people who have made it their daily hang out and not all of them are homeless. Underground's proximity to the Five Points MARTA station is just one of the problems that cannot be easily fixed. It is MARTA's responsibility to keep their train stations safe and they do a very poor job of it, especially at Five Points.There are "no loitering" signs posted but they are seldom enforced. I imagine it's difficult for the police to enforce the "no loitering" law there because they can always claim they're waiting for the train/bus. The police are there and so are the MARTA police. They just kind of stand around too really. More beat cops will only solve the problem temporarily IMO. The root causes have to be addressed in order fix the problem.

The large concentration of homeless people in the area is another problem that cannot be easily fixed. It certainly can't be fixed with more police.
Yea I got ya. One thing I will say if they use the "waiting on a train" excuse, then they actually need to be inside the station. Im not sure how the bus thing works I never used it, but I do know the train isn't at street level. I don't think the homeless are the problem...if you ask me being homeless is just a job for them.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:09 PM

207 posts, read 940,321 times
There are no "bad Places" . There only places where "Bad People" occupy. If cities want to promote tourist and local activities they must make places safe and comfortable for all. The atmosphere must be light, bright, clean, calm and attractive.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:57 AM

286 posts, read 1,086,146 times
As an outsider, the last time my mother, wife and I visited the underground was in 2002, and my mom went outside to smoke as wife and I went to restroom. When I came out, there was a guy kind of just hanging around my mom. And every few seconds would look all the way down the courtyard where another guy was smoking.

That's when the instinct of fear kicked in and I noticed that these two men were signaling each other and my mom was sort of oblivious with her huge purse just hanging on her shoulder. The guy near her kept looking at the purse and the guy down the courtyard was nodding his head. I went out there and made a loud greeting to my mom, and said "There you are! We're done using the bathroom, so Come on." This startled the guy, which gave me time to grab my mom's hand and as soon as my wife got out of the bathroom, we went straight to our vehicle.

Wife and mom asked, "what's wrong" and I responded, "keep walking, go to the car." Mom had a clue at this point, and wife obliged and all was explained after we left the underground. Haven't been back since. Although we have driven in the area, and it is much worse than what it was in 2002. When traveling to ATL, I will never take my family there especially since I have a baby now.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:22 AM

239 posts, read 922,933 times
Now, there will be a 24 hr. Waffle House at Underground. Unlike Sgt. Howard, I find it hard to believe this will be a "blessing" to the area ... I guess time will tell

Walk-up Waffle House opens in Underground | AccessAtlanta (http://www.accessatlanta.com/restaurants/content/restaurants/stories/2008/10/09/underground_waffle_house.html - broken link)

Old 10-10-2008, 09:40 AM

244 posts, read 865,553 times
Mmmmm. Waffle House.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:18 AM

18 posts, read 52,837 times
Downtown is awful. Midtown is fine. And then there is Downtown, ugh. You can't even get to Underground without dodging 15 panhandlers. There is no parking, so you have to take Marta, which forces you to cut through the worst of the vagrants. That entire area needs a serious overall, but it is politically incorrect to remove the problem people. I don't know anyone who lives in Atlanta that actually goes to Underground. It's a pit.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:45 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Underground isn't as bad as people say...and there is plenty of parking adjacent to Underground - it has a big sign that reads "UNDERGROUND PARKING".

If you don't go Downtown and you don't go to Underground and you don't know anyone who goes to either place, how do you know it's such a pit? Having recently graduated from GSU, I have experienced Downtown and Underground in the recent past. If you're afraid of the homeless or afraid of black people, then stay away because you won't like Underground or Five Points. I'll agree that it needs an overhaul, but it's not quite "a pit".

Old 11-04-2008, 11:37 AM

156 posts, read 433,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Well - folks were wondering what would happen when the clubs were torn down in the Buckhead Triangle area.

Tadaaaah.

Of course, it's not necessarily a reason to close Underground down. It's up to their management and security to be on top of stuff, too. Years ago Lenox Square sunk so low with teen thugs using it as a hang out spot, fights, theft, etc., some even thought it would close down. Then new management took over who knew what they were doing, and poof - it's one of the premier malls in the region now.

Underground is in an already rough area of downtown, and it's got worse (especially with vagrants) in recent years. Since the Aquarium area is building up, they're losing tourist dollars and locals don't even bother anymore. It will most likely eventually die on it's own. Of course then you'll have to wonder where the gun and knife toting hiphoppers will migrate to after that. Atlantic station, perhaps?

They're already at Atlantic Station. Apparently a lot have purchased condos in Twelve. I remember when the Lobby at Twelve first opened. The food was great and the clientele was nice. Now they serve chicken wings and I don't think they'll even let you in unless you wear sunglasses at night, leave your tags on your hat, and wear your pants around your ankles. Atlantic Station during the day is fine, but at night and on the weekends...garbage.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:16 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
I'm trying to figure out how "garbage" can purchase a condo at Twelve....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta