Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 08:47 PM

210 posts, read 454,840 times

Advertisements

Earlier today in the AJC:

Two men were stabbed, one of them fatally, in a brawl Friday afternoon near Underground Atlanta that involved as many as 20 people, according to police.

The identities of the men who were stabbed were not immediately available, said Atlanta police Lt. Keith Meadows, commander of the homicide unit.

The deceased man was stabbed twice, in the lower back and in the thigh, while the other man was stabbed once in the side, Meadows said. It’s not clear what provoked the fight, he said.

The combatants scattered when an Atlanta police officer arrived and tried to break up the fighting, Meadows said. As people ran away, the officer found the fatally injured man on the ground.

“That’s when he discovered he was stabbed,” Meadows said.

Both men were taken to Grady Memorial Hospital. So was a third man, who suffered a laceration to the head when the officer hit him with his nightstick, Meadows said.

Police also tried to interview a young woman who recorded the brawl on her cell phone in for questioning, but she was not fully cooperative, Meadows said.

Strange how the city markets this as a tourist trap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 09:52 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Well - folks were wondering what would happen when the clubs were torn down in the Buckhead Triangle area.

Tadaaaah.

Of course, it's not necessarily a reason to close Underground down. It's up to their management and security to be on top of stuff, too. Years ago Lenox Square sunk so low with teen thugs using it as a hang out spot, fights, theft, etc., some even thought it would close down. Then new management took over who knew what they were doing, and poof - it's one of the premier malls in the region now.

Underground is in an already rough area of downtown, and it's got worse (especially with vagrants) in recent years. Since the Aquarium area is building up, they're losing tourist dollars and locals don't even bother anymore. It will most likely eventually die on it's own. Of course then you'll have to wonder where the gun and knife toting hiphoppers will migrate to after that. Atlantic station, perhaps?

Old 10-03-2008, 11:30 PM

13 posts, read 36,448 times
That is very sad news.

Old 10-04-2008, 12:19 AM

642 posts, read 2,218,585 times
Oh so that's what happened. I was working at the county offices on Pryor and Peachtree today and as I was walking to the 5 Points train station to catch the train home I walked right past the area where this went down. Was wondering what happened but not so much that I was going to hang around and ask. But it was obvious pretty serious since the entire block between the county office and the black that houses the train station and Underground was marked with yellow crime scene tape.

I actually hate that part of town as it always filled with rif-raf. And that's during the day. I can imagine what it must look like after dark.

Old 10-04-2008, 07:13 AM

823 posts, read 2,215,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Well - folks were wondering what would happen when the clubs were torn down in the Buckhead Triangle area.

Tadaaaah.
I don't think you can make that. This happened in the middle of the day. Those clubs weren't exactly hopping in the middle of the day when they were open.

The Underground in its current state should die, but that is a large swath of downtown. Something positive has to go there. Give it to Georgia State to run. It should be something that appeals to the public and college students. I am sure they could turn it into something great while having the necessary security presence to keep it safe. When I lived downtown you always called the Georgia State police instead of 911.

Old 10-04-2008, 01:40 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
I think Georgia State should buy it.Make i an under ground rec center let them use it as a part of their hospitality department.If it were owned by the school then they would have more control and be able to monitor and let whomever they want on their property.

Old 10-04-2008, 01:58 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I think Georgia State should buy it.Make i an under ground rec center let them use it as a part of their hospitality department.If it were owned by the school then they would have more control and be able to monitor and let whomever they want on their property.
I think that is beginning of a great idea.

It should be ran by the hospitality and history department.

I think Underground (the part actually underground) should be re-made into an "urban Westville or Williamsburg" (with a southern city at the turn-of-the century theme).***

The above/street level could become a center/destination for puppetry/puppet theatres...with the Center for Puppetry Arts potentially relocating downtown.

Kenny's Alley could cater to students and/or be remade as after-hours lounges.

***to add to this concept, a new Georgia History Museum could be placed in the former World of Coca-Cola building.

There are many other possibilities. I just listed a few.

Other ideas:

1. An Experience Television or Movie Project (along the lines of Seattle's Experience Music Project)

2. Some kind of Technology/Futuristic Museum or Concept.

Old 10-04-2008, 02:26 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,737,128 times
Brilliant. You should work with the 'city planners' of Atlanta, wherever they are. To think, Atlanta with a real college vibe, akin to State Street in Madison. Wake me up if you make any headway.

Old 10-04-2008, 04:07 PM

13 posts, read 36,448 times
Quote:
I think that is beginning of a great idea.
that is a great idea...

there needs to be some way to attract more stores to downtown atlanta. There used to be an Express in Underground Atlanta. Now there are no quality stores in that area. I really miss Macy's downtown as well.

Old 10-04-2008, 04:16 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
no doubt somebody will post a shame shame thread for mentioning the violence and say this thread is another vicious attack on the prosperity and ethnic culture of atlanta.
or a ballistic heat post accusing the police officer of blatant unncessary violence or a hate crime.
we all look at the same things but see something different. how strange.
when the violence is a problem for the people of the community of the violent, rather than a problem for visitors to the community, then and only then will it change.
i have a dream.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 10-04-2008 at 04:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta