Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2008, 12:15 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
You are so right.

Let's chant...

"Must implement comprehensive mass transit now, must implement comprehensive mass transit now, must implement comprehensive mass transit now, must implement comprehensive mass transit now..."
Yeh but almost alll the new developemnet is geared toward high density or "infill".The traffic comes from people who live in the suburbs.All the MARTA stations are now the epicenter for "live,work,and Play" type developemnts.They are part of the reason that revenue is up on Marta.This is whats making ATlanta feel more urban as well.More people on foot

Old 11-19-2008, 12:15 AM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Better yet look at the projections for 2020 for Atlanta.TYhen look at where Houston,Philly,Boston,and Miami are at.City Mayors: World's largest urban areas in 2020 (1)

Also look at the Fastest growing.Most are in Emerging countries.Las Vegas,Austin,Atlanta are the top main 3 that are from the United States.
City Mayors: World's fastest growing urban areas (1)

A lot of Brazil's "second-tier" cities join the 2020 list. Delta/Atlanta was very smart by adding the additional flights to Brazil (Manaus, Fortaleza, Recife). Delta should also add flights to Brasilia, Salvador, and either Curitiba or Porto Alegre (Delta already has flights to Sao Paulo and Rio).

Lots of future opportunity. Glad I'm prepared...(I think/hope).

OK, I know...enough of the Brazil-talk on this Atlanta/Charlotte thread!

Old 11-19-2008, 12:17 AM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Yeh but almost alll the new developemnet is geared toward high density or "infill".The traffic comes from people who live in the suburbs.All the MARTA stations are now the epicenter for "live,work,and Play" type developemnts.They are part of the reason that revenue is up on Marta.This is whats making ATlanta feel more urban as well.More people on foot
That's why I say commuter rail and some MARTA expansion is the way to go. And the Beltline. And the planned trolleys.

Commuter Rail would make such a huge difference (and it would be relatively to implement). Atlanta is ready-made for full, comprehensive commuter rail implementation.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:45 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,434,352 times
Quote:
It does to mainly for the city of Atlanta.Also because of the the Airport for one reason you have a large auto manufacturing and related plants based within a few short hours distance.
Used to. Ford closed now. GM closed. Their suppliers sure to close soon if not already. If this countries auto industry doesn't shape up soon where about to see America become the first major wealthy industrial country that depends almost entirely on foreign companies for it's automobiles and that would be a nightmare for our overall economy.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:53 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Used to. Ford closed now. GM closed. Their suppliers sure to close soon if not already. If this countries auto industry doesn't shape up soon where about to see America become the first major wealthy industrial country that depends almost entirely on foreign companies for it's automobiles and that would be a nightmare for our overall economy.
Yeh true.I meant mainly in the whole region.Also foreign auto makers.Like Toyota,Kia,BMW,Mercedes

Old 11-19-2008, 06:03 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
You guys might want to look at something more reputable than "World's fastest growing Urban areas". They ranked Indy ahead of Orlando and made no mention of Charlotte and Raleigh. I find this source quite laughable. Within 10 years, North Carolina will have TWO urban areas larger than Indy's. North Carolina will also have two counties with a population of over 1 million while Georgia only has one. Granted, Georgia has more counties above 500,000 than NC, but still you get my point. On almost every "World" forecast, NC is not mentioned. Yet these "World" forecast rank smaller more known US metros above NC. NC is the most underated state in America in the "World's" eyes. Georgia was the same way until the Olympics took notice. The south's banking, health care, and biotech capital is NC. The problem is that TWO different metros in NC share this role instead of just one.

In time NC will get its proper respect, but until then, it is Atlanta's time and I am proud of that. At least somebody in the South is getting noticed. Keep in mind, NC was one of the few southern states outside of Florida that voted for Obama. It wasn't by much, but it still happened. I say this to show that NC is heading towards the "left" which is usually associated with being progressive and forward thinking. Atlanta is a "blue" area in a very "red" state.

Also, Atlanta has the world's busiest airport. Charlotte has the country's fastest growing airport. If airports are an indication of growth and importance, than Charlotte is doing quite well in this department. If airports are not, then we can ignore Atlanta and Charlotte's airports.
http://www.usatoday.com/travel/fligh...-growing_N.htm

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 11-19-2008 at 06:22 AM..

Old 11-19-2008, 06:36 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
You guys might want to look at something more reputable than "World's fastest growing Urban areas". They ranked Indy ahead of Orlando and made no mention of Charlotte and Raleigh. I find this source quite laughable. Within 10 years, North Carolina will have TWO urban areas larger than Indy's. North Carolina will also have two counties with a population of over 1 million while Georgia only has one. Granted, Georgia has more counties above 500,000 than NC, but still you get my point. On almost every "World" forecast, NC is not mentioned. Yet these "World" forecast rank smaller more known US metros above NC. NC is the most underated state in America in the "World's" eyes. Georgia was the same way until the Olympics took notice. The south's banking, health care, and biotech capital is NC. The problem is that TWO different metros in NC share this role instead of just one.

In time NC will get its proper respect, but until then, it is Atlanta's time and I am proud of that. At least somebody in the South is getting noticed. Keep in mind, NC was one of the few southern states outside of Florida that voted for Obama. It wasn't by much, but it still happened. I say this to show that NC is heading towards the "left" which is usually associated with being progressive and forward thinking. Atlanta is a "blue" area in a very "red" state.

Also, Atlanta has the world's busiest airport. Charlotte has the country's fastest growing airport. If airports are an indication of growth and importance, than Charlotte is doing quite well in this department. If airports are not, then we can ignore Atlanta and Charlotte's airports.
Charlotte has fastest-growing airport in USA - USATODAY.com
Actually, I don't. GA has 159 (relatively very small) counties, a number second only to TX in the nation. To use that as some sort of measure is essentially using smoke and mirrors to attempt to make a point.
And IMO NC already gets the proper respect. I don't think that it will ever have a city with Atlanta's stature (and so what?), but it is and will be an economic force nevertheless.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
What about East Texas, could that be considered the American South ?
I would.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Wow...showing Atlanta as finally surpassing Dallas, Houston, and Philadelphia. This is a big deal. And what I would expect. Atlanta's pop is finally catching up with its stature/importance/significance.

And Brasilia, Brazil (my other hometown)...5.25 million by 2020! It's at 2.5 million now. Whoa.
Prepare for an attack from the TX contingent...probably a good thing that this is buried in an Atlanta/Charlotte thread.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:02 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Actually, I don't. GA has 159 (relatively very small) counties, a number second only to TX in the nation. To use that as some sort of measure is essentially using smoke and mirrors to attempt to make a point.
And IMO NC already gets the proper respect. I don't think that it will ever have a city with Atlanta's stature (and so what?), but it is and will be an economic force nevertheless.
There are not any smoke and mirrors ROTFLMAO!!!

And the fact that you don't think NC will ever have a city of Atlanta's stature is just laughable. Atlanta's CSA is nearly 6 million. Charlotte's CSA is about 2.5 million. Charlotte and Atlanta doubled their metros since 1990 my friend. In Charlotte's case, it more than doubled. I guarantee Charlotte will hit 4 million (Atlanta during the Olympics size) before Atlanta hits 10 million. Heck, Charlotte might even hit 5 million before Atlanta hits 9 million. No matter what, Charlotte will not catch Atlanta's size by metro in our life times so relax. But to say that NC will never have a city of Atlanta's current stature is bold at best and laughable at worst.

BTW, those CSA numbers are a reflection of what the 2010 census will probably show for Charlotte and Atlanta. Currently Charlotte is 2.3 million and Atlanta is 5.6 million. I honestly see Atlanta becoming "Chicago sized" while Charlotte will be "Detroit sized" over the next 30 years. Chicago is currently 9.7 million and Detroit is currently 5.4 million. Detroit is also about 240 miles east of Chicago. Charlotte is about 240 miles east of Atlanta. Am I the only one that sees this regional comparison? Isn't Detroit and Chicago sometimes mentioned in the same class? Nuff said.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 11-19-2008 at 08:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta