Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 09:41 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times

Advertisements

I think this must be the year of the Spider in Atlanta.

I've seen a ton more spiders than usual in the yard, around the house, and even in the house this year. Maybe it's the funky weather patterns and lack of rain. I dunno. But even at the warehouse at work we've found 3X the number of Black Widows as usual, and at the house a lot more Wolf Spiders.

This large "Writing Spider" (still a baby), is next to one of our entrances at work. He'll get about 3-4X larger by the time he's fully grown. There's more of these guys making themselves visible as well this year.

This shot taken today..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 09:49 PM

7 posts, read 52,377 times
I don't have a point of comparison (not being here last year), but it's worse than it was in TX. I thought TX was supposed to be the scary wilderness type of place! With us it's both spiders and scorpions hanging around. We decided it was time to take defensive action when a scorpion made its way onto the bed.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:59 PM

Well, sure, if scorpions were in my bed I'd freak out, but writing spiders stay outdoors around bushes and shrubs. Wolf Spiders can be found indoors and out, but they're not harmful to humans, and, they actually go after dangerous ones like Black Widows. If I ever find a Black Widow in the house you can bet I'll fog the place so it looks like L.A. on a Monday morning. LOL

Old 10-06-2008, 10:48 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
No difference in the spider population here in No. Fulton this year, and fortunately I haven't seen a scorpion in at least three year. But, twice in the past couple of months I've found those nasty centipedes upstairs. One fell out of a pair of jeans in my closet as I was pulling them on!

Old 10-07-2008, 04:38 AM

894 posts, read 4,348,545 times
YES, spiders and their webs. This is our second year here and I think they are much more abundant this year. No need to decorate the front of the house for halloween!

Old 10-07-2008, 05:03 AM

513 posts, read 1,631,757 times
I don't know if it's just coincidence, but we have a HUGE web between two trees in our backyard. Massive spider in the middle. I think it's the only time I got my camera out to photo one of those rascals.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:39 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,535,704 times
What a coincidence....seeing the title of this posting reminded me that I was supposed to look up what kind of massive spider I found on my garage door with yellow on it, and sure enough here is a big picture of it! I had never seen one before and have found three this summer.

To answer the question - yeah, we have definitely seen more spiders. We have these big picture windows on the front of our house and every corners is coated in webs. Not too many have come in the house, but I've killed at least 5 since summer began. I was kind of distressed when I killed a brown recluse in the house, but then found out that that is actually pretty common, just have to be sure to shake out clothes laying on the floor or papers left stacked.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:06 AM

7 posts, read 52,377 times
Ugh, I thought Georgians only had to deal with black widows, not recluses too. Finding a black widow and its web right underneath our doorstep was also a motivator to spray some pesticide already.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise101 View Post
Ugh, I thought Georgians only had to deal with black widows, not recluses too. Finding a black widow and its web right underneath our doorstep was also a motivator to spray some pesticide already.
Depending on how allergic of a reaction your body has to the bite, a Recluse can be worse than a Widow - in rare cares far worse. So if you do see these in your home, have the place professionally "bombed" inside as well as spray. Wolf Spiders again, will actually go after and attack these bad spiders, so unless one is getting really big, I usually leave them alone.

The garden/writing spider I posted is common, but you don't always see them. They live in bushes and if you mess with the bush, they'll go deep inside to hide. The pic is of a young one - they get BIG, but again, aren't dangerous to people (though I'm not going to pet one).

Old 10-07-2008, 08:18 AM

308 posts, read 1,037,589 times
I've noticed. More bugs = more spiders
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: