Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 08:58 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times

Advertisements

Taking out those who are in hardship because they suddenly lost a job or have had a medical emergency.....

My grandparents were very practical. Their advice when they heard people say they couldn't afford sitters for their kids? "If you can't afford a sitter - you can't afford to have children". And these were folks who grew up in another era where having more kids was more commonplace than today. Now again, this excluded those who through sudden unexpected hardships suddenly have a drop in income, but it's amazing today how many people have kids DURING times when money is tight, and they continue to stay in that situation during the children's entire childhood years.

As someone said, having kids is elective. People are in full control as to whether they reproduce or not, unless you've been physically assaulted and it resulted in a pregnancy, which doesn't happen to everyone who has kids. The courts aren't going to treat having children as though it makes you handicapped and unable to perform in a courtroom. I will however, on the side of parents say that it would be helpful if the courts had in-house care for kids of parents who are serving jury duty. A small facility in the courtroom offered at no charge to those parents while they're on duty, etc.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:14 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I will however, on the side of parents say that it would be helpful if the courts had in-house care for kids of parents who are serving jury duty. A small facility in the courtroom offered at no charge to those parents while they're on duty, etc.
That'd be helpful, in theory, but imagine the outrage the first time some kid falls down and gets a boo-boo.

Old 10-10-2008, 01:53 PM

77 posts, read 311,085 times
I don't really know very many people here in Atlanta and I am a stay at home mom. It would be a complete pain in the rear to have to ask my hubby to take a day off from hsi job for my jury day(s) but that is part of our duty as Americans so I would do it without question.
That being said, when I got called for jury duty when I had an eight month old and was still nursing full time I did get out of it based on being a nursing mother in the state of IL with no problems.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,091 times
I am a SAHM to an 18-month-old, and just got summoned in Dekalb county. They do in fact have an exemption form for "child caregivers" to children under age 6 which you must have notarized & mail in. It is only a request, so I assume it may be denied, but it states that it is to have yourself excused or deferred, in accordance with OCGA 15-12-1.

Old 09-21-2019, 07:00 PM

736 posts, read 485,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I have 3 kids...my wife was a stay at home mom and served jury duty. Yes, I know it can be a pain, but it can be a pain for everyone. She had to get friends and relatives (and me too) to help out for a DAY or TWO. Unless you get picked for a murder trial or some very complicated civil trial, generally your service is a couple of days at most, and many times you won't even be picked for an actual jury and be dismissed in half a day.

It's one of your responsibilities in our society
. If we start to excuse certain segments of our population because of inconvenience, then all we will have are rich middle aged white men named Chuck serving on juries. Then we'll hear how unfair the system is because of bias.
Hello.

Amish and Mennonite communities as well as Native Americans are never called to be on a jury.

We have something called "religion exemption" laws. It's against my religious beliefs as a Buddhist to be on a jury. I refuse to judge any for any crime. It's my right to be excused. Yes, religious liberty laws apply to religions other than various forms of Christianity under the Constitution.

^ Aforementioned was said not out anger but common sense.

Peace

Old 09-21-2019, 07:29 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancaisDeutsch View Post
Hello.

Amish and Mennonite communities as well as Native Americans are never called to be on a jury.

We have something called "religion exemption" laws. It's against my religious beliefs as a Buddhist to be on a jury. I refuse to judge any for any crime. It's my right to be excused. Yes, religious liberty laws apply to religions other than various forms of Christianity under the Constitution.

^ Aforementioned was said not out anger but common sense.

Peace
You may be called to report but can then be excused to not serve. Really not sure why this thread from 2008 was dredged up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: