Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 04:27 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rswlguy View Post
Naw, not really ... great day here in NW Metro ATL after a nice long rainstorm. I'm very fortunate to be able to go home to California EVERY month ... as I have for the past 18 years.

So you're free to return to Troup County, Georgia any time you want. I wouldn't necessarily wait for any kind of ceremony?

Going home to California keeps my psyche "tuned up" for whatever challenges I must face during my daily work & pleasure activities and lifestyle. There was an immediate need to do so when I first moved here(elderly parents) however I continued the visit(s) because I felt it was doing myself a great deal of good.

I'm very glad that you finally recognize the importance for ALL Americans to be able to find endearing their own roots, demographics and pride in their home State of residence. And most importantly, accomplishing this without denigrating others perceptions or feelings. That's always the challenge...

Because we ALL have a "Home State" as native born Americans, right? Of course we do! Save the hug for yourself. Sounds like you are more lonesome for Georgia than I am for California?
I am sure I am more lonesome, you are really blessed to be able to get back to CA that often. I have only been able to avg about one week a year in GA the past five years, my mom is elderly and I know doesn't have long, so it is painful to be away.

The ex has custody of the kids, the judge allowed her to move to TX to be near her mom, the only thing I contested. I have to be here during their formative years. I love Georgia but I love my kids more.

You and I have been posting back and forth for a few months now, I really don't think you have ever found me denigrating another area at all. I am sure I am guilty over pining away for Georgia, I have defended the metro area and the state when I see someone else denigrating it, but I haven't been one to make myself or my home look better by attacking someone or somplace else.

So, hope you see why I make over Georgia, it is more my own screwed up situation. Georgia represents the salad days, TX is my desert season. Can color the way someone views a particular piece of geography.

Thanks for the second post, first one kinda took me aback, but you have been decent towards me in the past so decided to reply with a bit of humor.

All the best Roswell.........SM

Old 10-09-2008, 04:38 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,178,585 times
That's exactly my point. But noone seems to want to say that. I'll say for the record, it's mainly blacks moving to Atlanta for the hype. I wish folks would stop beating around the bush and say it. I think many move to ATL looking for some sort of black paradise. Same holds true for Chicago but they are usually looking for a international flare as well.

The issue is, black folks move here(Chi) then they realize that many of the "black neighboorhoods" are not desirable and than the disappointment sets in, off to Atlanta they go only for more disappointment, than to Dallas, Miami,etc............in search of the black paradise.

Once people move there(ATL) they realize that they have to work their asses off and they get disaapointed and get sent home because their expectations were not in line with reality.( damn, I guess I just answered my own post)

People move to Chicago because of THE HYPE. People move here and realize that they CANNOT afford go out everynight( $6.00 for 1 Corona) and that it costs more than they could have imagined and planned. The realize they CANNOT afford to downtown, Gold Coast or Lakeview and reality sets in.

For the record I am in no way bashing Atlanta, and nor have I said anything bad about the city. I just wanted to get a different perspective and ask people that live their what they think the problem is. I did not think I would get so many snide remarks.

Thanks for answering

cr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Sounds to me like they were expecting a mythical City of Gold and found reality instead.

Last edited by Ron.; 10-09-2008 at 04:51 PM..

Old 10-09-2008, 04:45 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,178,585 times
RG,

thank you for your response. I appreciate the candor and I'll look forward to your posts when your return.

cr

Quote:
What an absolutely wonderful, on the mark response and I truly wish that some folks here, there and everywhere would adopt more of a "realistic" approach to [any] metropolitan areas virtues, drawbacks, pleasantries and short-comings.

Thank you Ron for your response(s) to me. I myself have reiterated over & over & over & over ... that deliberate, over-defending others' perceptions (not HARD facts, but perceptions and feelings) are just an indication that what the other people or person(s) are perceiving may just have some validitiy.

Let me assure you ... you've more than hit the mark. I'm an 18 year resident [continuous] here in Metro Atlanta, I've lived INSIDE, OUTSIDE ... I still have my retirement home in CA. [I'm eight years from retirement]. Tell you what, I'm leaving town for EU tomorrow [business] and I'll be back Sunday night. I'll ask some of my customers "their perception" of Atlanta on the way out and the way back and I'll post the results.

The over-sensitivity from perhaps mature adults, flippant and rude return remarks about someone elses' perceptions is completely asinine.

If someone complained that my "car was dirty" ... I'd look to see first, if spotless ... I'd smile and wink , if a smudge ... I'd wipe it. If dirty and there was water ... I'd wash it and say thank you. If not, so be it. AND I would move on.

Denial folks, is NOT a River in Egypt...

Old 10-09-2008, 05:12 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post
That's exactly my point. But noone seems to want to say that. I'll say for the record, it's mainly blacks moving to Atlanta for the hype. I wish folks would stop beating around the bush and say it. I think many move to ATL looking for some sort of black paradise. Same holds true for Chicago but they are usually looking for a international flare as well.

The issue is, black folks move here(Chi) then they realize that many of the "black neighboorhoods" are not desirable and than the disappointment sets in, off to Atlanta they go only for more disappointment, than to Dallas, Miami,etc............in search of the black paradise.

Once people move there(ATL) they realize that they have to work their asses off and they get disaapointed and get sent home because their expectations were not in line with reality.( damn, I guess I just answered my own post)

People move to Chicago because of THE HYPE. People move here and realize that they CANNOT afford go out everynight( $6.00 for 1 Corona) and that it costs more than they could have imagined and planned. The realize they CANNOT afford to downtown, Gold Coast or Lakeview and reality sets in.

For the record I am in no way bashing Atlanta, and nor have I said anything bad about the city. I just wanted to get a different perspective and ask people that live their what they think the problem is. I did not think I would get so many snide remarks.

Thanks for answering

cr
Excuse me, but you create a thread that begins with "Atlanta Gets A Bad Rap", post it in the Atlanta forum, and then act all surprised that you receive "snide remarks". What a piece of work you are.
Rswlguy is correct...Denial ain't a river in Egypt.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:06 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
Thank you AF for your recognition and comments. Yes, I definately am a BIG CITY person. If you don't mind, I'll answer some of your questions DM as the answer(s) and my thoughts may not "sit well" with other posters.

OH BTW ... I just saw on MSN that Atlanta was voted and "rated" best place for singles. I hope you saw it, I'm still looking for the original article and planned on posting a new thread. AND I AM sure that they were referring to "younger" generation singles (20s-30s) ...

Thanks again for your post and thoughts...
Thanks,i rally appreciate your DM.The article was in the latest issue of Forbes
The Best Cities For Singles - Forbes.com

Old 10-09-2008, 07:08 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,590,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Excuse me, but you create a thread that begins with "Atlanta Gets A Bad Rap", post it in the Atlanta forum, and then act all surprised that you receive "snide remarks". What a piece of work you are.
Rswlguy is correct...Denial ain't a river in Egypt.

I totally agree.

This Chicago guy asks a loaded question framed in the context of Atlanta negatives.

As long as the various reponses here mirror his negative stereotypes about our fine city, he's apparently all hugs and kisses. The hugs and kisses evaporate, though, if the various repsonses don't mirror his preconceived negativity.

I think this guy should be trekking down to our fine city, and see for himself how beautiful our city is. No city is perfect, but our fine city has a lot of great attributes.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:30 PM

207 posts, read 939,915 times
Atlanta= crime,pollen,polution,traffic,racial politics and no history!

Old 10-09-2008, 07:51 PM

13 posts, read 29,194 times
Oh to continue on luckysnap's comments, let me add. Home Invasion Robberies, Smash & Grab robberies, No ZONING LAWS... we have factories next to housing developments, next to churches, next to shopping centers. Bizarre! Freeways... outside of the perimeter, its so hard to get around North Atlanta. One lane roads at rush hour totally bring traffic to gridlock. ever hear of 'out in the sticks"? Its because of all the pine trees, all you see is the tree trunk... and besides, whats on the other side of those trees???? Having moved from Los Angeles to Atl 2 yrs ago, theres more Chinese, Indo-Paks and muslums here than there, NOT THAT THERES ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT. I love going to the shopping center and trying to figure out what some of the stores are that are written in Chinese. It makes my day soooo challenging.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:07 PM

321 posts, read 1,119,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zel Ya View Post
I totally agree. This Chicago guy asks a loaded question framed in the context of Atlanta negatives. As long as the various reponses here mirror his negative stereotypes about our fine city, he's apparently all hugs and kisses. The hugs and kisses evaporate, though, if the various repsonses don't mirror his preconceived negativity.
I think this guy should be trekking down to our fine city, and see for himself how beautiful our city is. No city is perfect, but our fine city has a lot of great attributes.
Hey Zel, I'm gonna play Devil's Advocate and state that I truly don't believe the OP had any "inflamatory" preconceived notions ...
When someone states, they've got a "bad rap" ... that is short for "rapport" or perhaps "reputation" ...

Many people have some rather negative perceptions about a great deal of things ... here's an article that I thought give a pretty decent dialogue on someone "getting a bad rap":

glennsacks.com | American Fathers Get a Bad Rap

Just in my own mind ... CR wasn't inventing issue ... I truly believe he was conveying a preconceived notion ... which is pretty typical these days. If we TRULY want to change that perception ... then accept their feelings, ask questions positively and turn everything around.

OH ... if you want "inflamatory" ... here's the NEXT POST:
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckysnap View Post
Atlanta= crime,pollen,polution,traffic,racial politics and no history!
Now that will start fires WORTH putting out, right? BTW, best 2 u..

Old 10-09-2008, 08:09 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,520,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon View Post
As a Chicagoan I talk to folks all the time about Atlanta. One reocurring answer I get is bad news and disappointment.

I am thinking people that move to Atlanta because of the hype, I guess. What are people expecting when tey move to Atl. that causes them to move back home after 18months? Do people think are are going to party like a rockstar when they move to Atlanta?

Are peoples expectations to high?

I'm just curiouos why transplants get disappointed.
Easy.. The black media (JET, Ebony, BET, Black Enterprise, Essence, Tyler Perry, etc) is bias to Atlanta. Rich blacks get a lot of love here in Atlanta. They probably get more love here than anywhere else. Most of the women move here to go to college thinking there is a lot of black men going to college, they end up staying here, which explains the woman/man ration. There are still not many black men in college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta