Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 12:47 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
You wear shorts when its 15 degrees outside ?
Yes, if I'm only to/from the car and not outside for more than 15 minutes or so.

I'm amused by the looks I get when my wife and I go out to eat in weather like that, but it isn't my problem if other people are sensitive to weather.

I used to walk out and over a few hundred feet get my mail in the morning in a tee shirt, PJ shorts, and slippers even when it was well below zero, though, and my neighbors in the Twin Cities thought that was kinda weird, too. But I like the brisk feel of cold air. Even at -20F it isn't that bad for only a few minutes.

Last edited by rcsteiner; 10-16-2008 at 12:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 12:52 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
So i guess when it's 45 degrees on a January afternoon with winds blowing 30mph and a wind chill of 25, you're wearing shorts ?
I do, Matt. I always wear shorts when I'm not at work unless I'm doing yard or automobile work when I have to kneel down, or unless I'm going to be in colder weather for an extended period of time.

That wasn't true in the Twin Cities, but the winter weather here isn't quite the same as January up there. I tend to bundle up when the temp gets so low that it's dangerous. Which generally means a warm coat and jeans. But I'd almost never wear gloves or a hat up there unless it was windy and below 0 F. And I didn't generally start wearing a coat to work until I saw frost -- a polo shirt and slacks was fine for weather in the 30's and 40's. I kept a jacket in my trunk for emergencies, of course, but...

Old 10-16-2008, 01:09 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,643,286 times
ATL winters are cool and are milder than the upper south states. I lived in TN for six years and when I first moved there I used to put on my heavy coat when the temp was 50 and below, but I got used to the mountain climate and need only my GTech hoody for 25-45 degree temperatures. If you're from NC, VA, TN, KY, and other states north of GA you won't see our winters as harsh or anything near that.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:10 PM

606 posts, read 2,005,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoFan View Post
ATL winters are cool and are milder than the upper south states. I lived in TN for six years and when I first moved there I used to put on my heavy coat when the temp was 50 and below, but I got used to the mountain climate and need only my GTech hoody for 25-45 degree temperatures. If you're from NC, VA, TN, KY, and other states north of GA you won't see our winters as harsh or anything near that.
Most of NC doesnt have any cooler weather than north GA. Keep in mind that north GA is further away from the coast than most of NC, which tends to keep things about equal. Also most of North GA is higher in elevation than most of NC, except for the western part of NC. North GA is maybe 3-4 degrees warmer than cities like Nashville and Richmond, so not a big difference.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
First of all, where are you from, Matt?

Second of all, Atlanta has a humid subtropical climate--which means shorter and more mild winters. Typically the weather patterns here during the winter are somewhat sporadic. What happens is that you'll get an Arctic front that comes through one day and knocks the nightime temps down to the upper teens/low 20s and the daytime highs down to the 30s and 40s. However, over the course of a few days, a warming trend occurs and daytime temps rebound to the 50s and 60s with nightime temps in the 30s and 40s. After a few days of warm weather, another Arctic blasts comes through the region. This pattern occurs with higher frequency over a 6 week period between the end of December and the first half of February.

Usually but not always, we get the coldest weather towards the end of January/beginning of February when the daytime highs may not get above freezing and the chance of snow or ice is a lot higher. However, towards the middle of February, the warm spells are warmer and last longer with the first signs of spring arriving at the end of the month.

To even add more to our confusing winter, we usually get a week or two of "Indian Summer" type weather in December of Januaray where the daytime highs are in the upper 60s/low 70s with very mild evening temperatures as well. I can recall last December when we had a week of weather in the mid 70s.

The key to dressing for winter in Atlanta is to dress in layers because it can be absolutely cold in the morning and then all of a sudden it's 55+ degrees and sunny. By 6pm, temps will start to fall back into the 30s. Often I leave for work in the morning wearing a coat, go out to lunch without a coat, and leave work with a coat again.

In short, I think Atlanta winters get just cold enough for me to anticipate spring, but not as cold to the point that I'd get cabin fever. You're never really more than one week away from 60 degree weather during the winter here. I'm sorry if I sound confusing, but then again, winter here is confusing, but still very enjoyable.
Actually Indian Summer occurs in October and November. It usually occurs after the first frost

Old 10-16-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
During March and April, there are typically about three cold fronts that come through the area and knock daytime temps down to the 50s--with Blackberry Winter being the most notorious. Blackberry winter usually occurs during the second week of April when a cold front comes through and knocks the daytime temps down from the 70s to the low 50s. This usually lasts a week and afterwards it's back to 70 degree weather.

It's very rare that we get snow in March or April. If it ever happens, it's usually due to an unsually strong Noreaster that has hit the entire eastern seaboard from Maine to Florida.
A big snowfall in March and April is rare, but flurries isnt all that rare in March. We had flurries in April 2007 and March 2008.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:03 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,834,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Yes, if I'm only to/from the car and not outside for more than 15 minutes or so.

I'm amused by the looks I get when my wife and I go out to eat in weather like that, but it isn't my problem if other people are sensitive to weather.

I used to walk out and over a few hundred feet get my mail in the morning in a tee shirt, PJ shorts, and slippers even when it was well below zero, though, and my neighbors in the Twin Cities thought that was kinda weird, too. But I like the brisk feel of cold air. Even at -20F it isn't that bad for only a few minutes.
I've grown up in the Atlanta area, and it has to be in the teens for the cold to really get to me.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:05 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,834,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoFan View Post
North Carolina's climate, in terms of temperatures, is practically the same as the northern half of Georgia. Tennessee and Virginia are only slightly cooler, while Kentucky is only slightly more cooler than Tennessee and Virginia.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:08 PM

207 posts, read 940,166 times
cold or not winter in atlanta is Grey.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:15 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,068,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckysnap View Post
cold or not winter in atlanta is Grey.
I have lived here on and off my whole life; I haven't found winters in Atlanta particularly "grey". There are plenty of sunny days in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta