Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 12:54 PM

337 posts, read 791,767 times

Advertisements

Valerie - Remember that most all of your electical components will not work in the US. Different plugs, 110v vs. 220v, 60 cycles vs. 50 cycles, NTSC vs. PAL. Your computer and print should work (just need to get a plug adapter). Made the move to the UK about 10 years ago (back in the US now). You have some interesting times ahead...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 04:57 PM

539 posts, read 2,097,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
The house next to me took over a year to sell, although the other for sale closed fairly quickly. The real estate agent told me a lot of people were turned off by the pool, so Greg has a point. When we moved here from FL we looked forever to find a house with one, and finally gave up. We are not in a swim neighborhood, and out of 34 houses, only 5 have pools, and they are all salt-water models. I wanted one put in, but after realizing the swim season here isn't nearly as long as FL, I changed my mind. The house was originally listed at $689,900, and ended up selling for $515,000, so they definitely didn't get the cost of the pool back.
That is an interesting view as far as the swimming season. I came from up north and in spite of the fact that the swimming season was only about 3 1/2 months long it is quite common to shell out big bucks to put in a pool. Just as an FYI while inground pools are more common up north, you still see quite a few above ground going in.

Old 10-26-2008, 12:11 AM

293 posts, read 899,045 times
There is another thread about how much to offer for a house, and it appears that 90-95%, even 85% of its original price is kind of normal practice... sometimes some people really want to sale...even at a lower price, pool or not, so...

Old 10-26-2008, 08:51 PM

352 posts, read 1,422,439 times
In my area homes with pools sell much faster and for more, realtors say this aswell. We are looking to make sure the next house we have has one if possible and will pay more for a house with one or just build one. A nice outdoor area and pool have got to be worth extra on a nice house in a good area compared to the same house having a backyard full of awful pine trees that no one can use. I will however agree that in cheaper subdivisions out of town that already have a pool complex that may not be the case.

Taking the ROI out of the equation the quality of life improvement with a well designed low maintenance pool is also a no brainer. You can easily use one 8 months of the year or longer if it is heated. Also don't forget Atlanta is becoming less transitory so more and more people are looking at customising their homes and keeping them for the long term.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:02 PM

23,374 posts, read 43,853,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrabbit View Post
In my area homes with pools sell much faster and for more, realtors say this aswell. We are looking to make sure the next house we have has one if possible and will pay more for a house with one or just build one. A nice outdoor area and pool have got to be worth extra on a nice house in a good area compared to the same house having a backyard full of awful pine trees that no one can use. I will however agree that in cheaper subdivisions out of town that already have a pool complex that may not be the case.

Taking the ROI out of the equation the quality of life improvement with a well designed low maintenance pool is also a no brainer. You can easily use one 8 months of the year or longer if it is heated. Also don't forget Atlanta is becoming less transitory so more and more people are looking at customising their homes and keeping them for the long term.
I agree that over a certain price point (a pretty high one), a pool would likely be an expected amenity. If I were looking at a $2MM and over property in, say, Buckhead, I would likely expect to see one.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:13 AM

You can find houses with very nice swimming pools (that you can change into your tastes if you wished or ameliorate to make it completely free of chlorine and salt which helps reduce the water evaporation and erosion of the lining, makes it more economical and keeps it very clean) at various prices. I have seen some in Douglasville for under 300,000, many around 500,000 and those houses above 700,000 often have one. There are some in every area, less in Norcross it seems for what I saw online. building a swimming pool in my property is not for me a challenge, it is simple pleasure. There are many designs, and I am happy to go with the trends in doing environmental friendly. it is good for health, and yes, whether you invest or buy for life to make this place your Home sweet home, it is a bonus, a pleasure in itself. I believe indeed that swimming is good for health, and that you don't have to travel to get there. The challenge might remain whether or not they can bring their machines in the backyard to dig one. I agree with the 2 posts above, and I agree as well with those saying that for them it is a waste of money if they only use it once a week or a month. I think 8 months of the year seems reasonnable, coldish water is not bad for health neither

Old 11-04-2008, 08:39 AM

we visited a house with an inground pool, nice enough to start with. The setting was ideal and with a bit of imagination everything could be recreated nicely inside and outside the house... but they have a compressor out there for the pool that is so noisy that we can hardly hear the birds singing or the sound of nature, it's almost a pity to live in such an inspiring area... was wondering if this could be changed and if there are any compressors that are silent?

Old 11-04-2008, 08:44 AM

23,374 posts, read 43,853,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie-Lydie View Post
we visited a house with an inground pool, nice enough to start with. The setting was ideal and with a bit of imagination everything could be recreated nicely inside and outside the house... but they have a compressor out there for the pool that is so noisy that we can hardly hear the birds singing or the sound of nature, it's almost a pity to live in such an inspiring area... was wondering if this could be changed and if there are any compressors that are silent?
Yes, the newer generation of compressors are almost silent; some friends of mine just installed a pool and you can't hear the compressor at all.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:58 AM

Great news

Old 02-09-2009, 01:13 PM

5 posts, read 24,286 times
Default ask the pool guy:)

Most of the HOA's complain that there an eye soar, plus there actually harder to keep clean do to poor circulation and chemical lose.

Last edited by BobKovacs; 02-09-2009 at 01:21 PM.. Reason: advertising isn't permitted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta