Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 05:48 AM

183 posts, read 1,006,951 times

Advertisements

If you get a salt water pool and run your filter on a timer, daily, and have an automatic pool vacuum run on a daily basis, your looking at about $12.00 for three bags of salt, on average. Electric for running the pump, maybe $40. monthly, depending on how long it is on. It is a 120 volt line, not like running an electric dryer. We swim in our pool from April until early October. When the nights start getting cool, so does the water. I like the water temp in the 80's. If I can help you further, let me know. Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 08:15 AM

293 posts, read 901,391 times
Hi razmom, may I ask you what you do with your pool during that time it is not in use? do you cover it? do you still add some salt? how often do you have to add the salt? Does the salt help against insects infectation of insects as well?

I am new with the use of a pool, but we are thinking really positively in having one. thanks for your help.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:20 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,618,588 times
No plans to get a pool, but curious about why people get salt water pools. I've never heard of them. I like the idea of those wave pools you see advertised, but they're small and strictly for exercise.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:38 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,081,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
No plans to get a pool, but curious about why people get salt water pools. I've never heard of them. I like the idea of those wave pools you see advertised, but they're small and strictly for exercise.
Salt water pools are suppose to be better for your skin and not so harsh.

WikiAnswers - What are the advantages and disadvantages of a saltwater swimming pool

Old 10-19-2008, 09:58 AM

293 posts, read 901,391 times
if you can have a pool and exervcise in it, I believe it is not too small...I heard that salt is better and a little more expensive to build. Better for the skin, the hair, more natural. Those I have seen look cleaner too but I am not sure it was due to salt. I wonder which of both, chemicals or salt, is cheaper to maintain...

Old 10-19-2008, 02:31 PM

I can promise you, a salt water pool is better for your skin, hair, swimsuit, Your eyes won't burn either! If you think of what salt is....sodium chloride, there is a salt cell that creates a "chlorine" using electrolysis. It is odorless, colorless and is not salty like the ocean. More like the saline solution for contacts. We love it. It is a little more $ initially, about $1500 for the system. in the long term, it is the cheapest way to go. The salt level is measured daily and you will know when to add a bag of salt. Like I said earlier, It is much nicer to swim in, too. You can open your eyes under water, it doesn't burn. We run our pool filter through the winter, we don't cover the pool. When the weather and the water warms up, we are good to go. We have had our pool for 5 seasons, the water has always been crystal clear and always tests perfect. We have a pebble tech surface over gunite and we deliberately chose dark colors, brown, black, blue, white and grey, to absorb the heat from the sun. Water is usually around 84 degrees in the heat of Aug. Hope this helps!

Old 10-19-2008, 02:33 PM

I must add....a bucket of chlorine can run close to $100, and you will need more than 1 bucket per summer. The hotter the day, the more chlorine you will have to add as the sun will burn it quickly.

Old 10-19-2008, 11:43 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,056,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie-Lydie View Post
Hello,

Would you know why some HOAs have banned some over ground swimming pools?
Because, if by chance your (the neighbor next to me) above ground pool happens to break~which we have all seen America's Funniest Home Videos and know that it happens...frequently~ then it may flood my yard and then your pool becomes my problem. Plus, I do not want to look out my back window and see your backyard with an above ground pool set up. They're tacky.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:28 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,523,666 times
We have a salt water pool as well. It really is pretty cheap to run. Just a few bags of salt each summer. We also keep it open all winter. We purchased a pool sweep for about $400 the first year we lived here. We never have to vacuum the pool. We spend about an hour a summer taking care of it!

Old 10-22-2008, 09:36 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Ok, sorry, but I have to ask. What if people pee in your saltwater pool? I mean, we know that chlorine kills pee germs and stuff, but does saltwater offer any kind of protection against stuff like that? I mean come on - if you have a pool party, as much as you don't want to think so, SOMEONE is gonna pee in your pool at least once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta