Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2009, 10:47 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,047,072 times

Advertisements

Great post. I moved from the pacific northwest to Atlanta and its been great. Some of us like to experience different things and different places and if we didn't we would look back later and wish we had. Its not for everyone but for some that drives us and makes life interesting. Even within the metro someone living in Midtown will have a completely different experience then someone living in Alpharetta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmama View Post
I've been nervous about leaving Chicago (and the Midwest in general) because it's what I've known. I've enjoyed so much about this city. That said, Atlanta offers different stuff, right? It's offering a different lifestyle, a different climate, new friends, new regional cuisine. (I cannot WAIT for this!) (Don't get mad at me for this: I'm going to miss my pizza.) Living in a new area doesn't take any of my experiences away, it gives me more to add to my life story. If I try it and hate it, that's on me. It will then be my choice to leave. It doesn't mean Atlanta is worse, it's just different. Sure, Chicago has lots to offer! Lots of awesome stuff, lots of pain-in-the-butt stuff. (Ever driven on a crowded expressway at rush hour when your car heater is blowing ice and the snow is so blinding you can't see the car in front of you and the road is so icy you're sure you're about to drive right into someone's trunk? Then do it all over again in the morning?)

We're lucky that New York is not like Chicago is not like LA is not like Atlanta is not like Miami is not like Sioux City. Collectively, we have a truckload of offerings and we can live or visit anywhere we like!

Old 08-19-2009, 11:45 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,644,281 times
Quote:
I've been nervous about leaving Chicago (and the Midwest in general) because it's what I've known. I've enjoyed so much about this city. That said, Atlanta offers different stuff, right? It's offering a different lifestyle, a different climate, new friends, new regional cuisine. (I cannot WAIT for this!) (Don't get mad at me for this: I'm going to miss my pizza.) Living in a new area doesn't take any of my experiences away, it gives me more to add to my life story. If I try it and hate it, that's on me. It will then be my choice to leave. It doesn't mean Atlanta is worse, it's just different. Sure, Chicago has lots to offer! Lots of awesome stuff, lots of pain-in-the-butt stuff. (Ever driven on a crowded expressway at rush hour when your car heater is blowing ice and the snow is so blinding you can't see the car in front of you and the road is so icy you're sure you're about to drive right into someone's trunk? Then do it all over again in the morning?)

We're lucky that New York is not like Chicago is not like LA is not like Atlanta is not like Miami is not like Sioux City. Collectively, we have a truckload of offerings and we can live or visit anywhere we like!
Rockmama, you are so right about the pizza in Chicago. Giordano's has the best pizza in America (Pizza Pie), IMO!

As far as the south goes, it will be different from Chicago but I believe that is a good thing. There are great eateries here but I suggest you ask around to find the "local gems."

We southerners can take critism as well; however, we cannot stand whiners. It just seems that some people from certain places (i.e. New York City) wants New York City and everything in New York to be in places that they choose to move to. In reality this is rediculous and that is when us ATLiens will come out the "woodworks" to defend our city because we are who we are and no one is going to change us!

Old 08-19-2009, 02:16 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,797,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMISSNY View Post
ok, on behalf of NYC we will take it there, first of all New Yorkers, are not out of touch with anything, how would you know that New Yorkers are told they are the best not unless New Yorkers have reason to believe that WE are? Secondly, standard and expectation are two different things, if I come to a place I expect a certain standard of living either Atlanta will meet those standards or I will move on to find a place that can meet these standards. Thirdly to say New Yorker's are out of touch is crazy, how can you think that honestly when ATL is still running out of breath trying to catchup with New York. It is simple like the song said" It is not were you are from it is where you are AT" simple put some people can come here and like ATL for what it is for and what is has to offer and some people (such as myself ) cant wait to kick the can and leave here running, maybe you should accept people for who they are but please, either way dont talk unless you know for sure what you are talking about, because any New Yorker I know that likes or dislikes ATL will never be blind to that fact that NYC has more to offer.

I also read your other post about the living standards of New York, well I did not come from that part of New York, I came from the surbs where we have the best schools, nice safe neighborhoods and highly educated people, and YES I AM PROUD OF IT! so once again dodgin bullets and such is not my thing, also, I am married to a NYPD officer and he will tell you ATL has more crime committed in the City than NYC anyday. I can walk the streets of manhattan or the Bronx for that matter and feel perfectly safe, however, with budget cuts of APD, and drugs and homelessness all over I cannot say that for here. Also , yes I live in the surbs, here but I also have been to the city here and if you think for one second that the City of ATL can be compared to the NYC you are dreamin

they come out the wound they are told they are the best city on earth and every other city sucks and are continually told this everyday all day.
- Sound like you maybe a little green eye to me

In fact most New Yorkers are original from the South or is just one generation from the South, so to speak like we never been outside of New York, I dont think so
This does not of course apply to all NYC.This is not a New York vs Atlanta.NYC is one of the greatest cities on the Earth ,period!!You cannot dispute that.But it is not for many people.I hope Atlanta is NEVER just like NYC as many people who do move here hope the same thing never happens.Atlanta could use SOME of the density and cosmopolitan flavor of NYC but it does not aspire to be NYC.Actually that is a subjective answer.I personally would like Atlanta to be more like Chicago or San Francisco.

I assume you must be black because New Yorkers being a generation removed from the South does not apply as much with whites.And many blacks came from the Carribean in the North.However there is the "great migration" back to the South.Not just blacks,but percentage wise blacks are moving South in record numbers just as they moved North in the years after the Civil War.

Atlanta has some problems currently.They are problem that NYC city has faced on levels that Atlanta has NEVER faced.NYC has been bankrupted TWICE in the past.Crime ran rampant through the city as early as the 1990's.It took a while to get it under control,but it happened.

A lot of that came in the form of gentrification of NYC.The city becomes more and more unattainable or affordable for regular middle class people.You have to move far out in the suburbs to enjoy the quality of life that is conducive to a decent budget.This is true somewhat in Atlanta also, but in Atlanta you can still live in a decent relatively safe area and not have to pay a premium .Living in the city requires a lot of sacrifice.Space,privacy,amenities and even safety are all sacrifices.I suppose thats why you live in the suburbs of NYC.

The fact is I know A LOT of people personally that live on Staten Island,the Bronx and Long Island that do not know much about other parts of NYC.They really are out of touch about what goes on in other places outside of NYC.The proof is the fact that they would come to a city like Houston,Atlanta,L.A. or Charlotte and think it would resemble anything remotely like NYC.That says a lot about the mentality of SOME NY'ers.There is NO OTHER PLACE IN NORTH AMERICA LIKE NYC.So why search for something elsewhere.That is so UNREALISTIC!!

The fact is Atlanta will never be NYC.No place will be.But the fact also remains that more people are moving to Atlanta from NYC,than any other city in the US.That is Atlanta is the TOP destination for people moving OUT of NYC.More people percentage wise are also moving to Atlanta than NYC.
Some information on New York City:

http://www.observer.com/2009/real-es...-class-not-you

So maybe it is NYC that should be more like Atlanta?

Last edited by afonega1; 08-19-2009 at 02:37 PM..

Old 08-19-2009, 03:27 PM

800 posts, read 1,463,598 times
Quote:
I've been nervous about leaving Chicago (and the Midwest in general) because it's what I've known. I've enjoyed so much about this city. That said, Atlanta offers different stuff, right? It's offering a different lifestyle, a different climate, new friends, new regional cuisine. (I cannot WAIT for this!) (Don't get mad at me for this: I'm going to miss my pizza.)
There is a branch of Chicago-based Nancy's Pizza located in Midtown (off Ponce de Leon), and another in the heart of Buckhead. It's not quite as good as Giordano's or Gino's East, but it'll definitely do if you're homesick for some deep dish!

Old 08-19-2009, 04:21 PM

305 posts, read 1,004,722 times
I will leave it simple, NYC cannot be compared to Atlanta, this is true, however, I am very happy that I come from a city that you feel by your own post that do not have any comparison to. I do not feel that it would be too much to see some of the same opportunities in Atlanta that are in NY. Nor do I see anything wrong with not finding Atlanta attractive. It is a matter of each person liking, if a person dosnt like ATL and they rather have a place like NY that offers more in the way of diversity, opportunity and places to live there is nothing wrong with that. I amazes me to see post of NYC that relate to crime running rampant, and such. NYC had the challenges of crime in the 70's yes however, during the 90's no much more than anyplace else.

Since you are from the burbs how many times have you actually walked the streets of Atlanta? to answer this question, I have been living here for a little over a year I have been downtown several times and do not feel safe there at all.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:30 PM

66 posts, read 136,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKATL View Post
On your way out? You follow me I'm trying to flee this place as quickly as possible. I'll race you!
Meet you there chick. Lol so ready

Old 08-19-2009, 04:52 PM

305 posts, read 1,004,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbrooklyn View Post
Meet you there chick. Lol so ready
Tell ya what since we are all lookin at the same place, lets go half on gas LOL

Old 08-19-2009, 05:52 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,797,456 times
VIVA ATLANTA!!I suppose what gets people riled up is that many come here from NYC(because they are the worst at this)assuming that people have less desire to be worldly, cosmopolitan or education wise.There are little subtle inferences that suggest that you "cannot possibly be living unless you are living in NYC".LOL!As if by traveling ,reading and living in a place with less than NYC,you cannot be fullfiled with those same experiences.Meanwhile the population of NYC stagnates with small growth at best.Am I saying NYC is bad ,hell no!Its not at all!!Just like people in South Georgia where I grew up cannot understand why anyone would want to live in Atlanta or any big city because it is SO BAD.This is ludicrous.Truth is Atlanta IS an alternative to NYC.So are Houston,Dallas,Miami,Philadelphia as well.

Atlanta will eventually become more of a city you want to visit and live.It is not a destination city like say Miami,,NYC,San Francisco,or Washington D.C. (at least for the general populace),but it is rapidly getting there.Its pretty much inevitable.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:39 PM

285 posts, read 876,429 times
This thread should be titled:

Atlanta- Only place I've ever lived except NYC.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:35 PM

6,738 posts, read 6,727,597 times
Atlanta has the ideal climate, great for Golfing, Baseball, but not summer year round like Miami. Problem for me though is the lack of walkable neighborhoods. I've done 10 mile walks through energetic neighborhoods in DC, Boston, and Chicago, where you leave one interesting area and walk right into another. But in Atlanta I've walked a couple blocks out of Buckhead and quickly found myself the only person on the sidewalk.

#1 thing I like about Atlanta - the women are hot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta