Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2009, 04:11 PM

113 posts, read 249,765 times

Advertisements

Well i know it is a good city...i like the hills and all...and i heard they have great restaurants. My experience eating there was horrible. I remember going to place called varsitys??? To tell you the truth...i did not like there food at all...and isnt that like a historical fast food place there?

Old 08-20-2009, 04:11 PM

305 posts, read 1,004,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
So true...

NY'er here chyming in, again. NYC has more to offer in what ways? That's a subjective issue. NYC does not fit the bill for everyone. Some things I liked to do while living in NYC, I had to go to CT or NJ, so that alone, proves that NYC was lacking in many regards (for me and my hobbies). So let's not generalize with that statement. It may have what YOU want or like, but for ME and many others, I find almost everything in the Atlanta metro area compared to NYC.
I love NYC, and when I miss certain things, friends and family, I go there. But other than that, I think this side fits the bill for me. I never lived in any ghetto or projects in NYC ( just to clear the air). I lived comfortably, went to private schools, etc. I love NYC, but have to admit that for professionals, with families, that want to settle down, Atlanta has a lot more to offer. NYC will always have a place in my heart. I am not bitter about NYC, but the hustle and bustle of the "City" gets old after a while for many (including me). I call it what it is, that's all. I give Atlanta its due credit, and make the best of it, instead of whining. Hope you can too.

Ask yourself this: Why have so many people left NYC and are still doing so? It gets it due respect in many areas, but...would I move my family there? Would I trade what I have now in Atlanta for a cramped Apt in Park Slope or a 2 family home in Queens with no backyard? I think not.

Again, if you want to go back, what's stopping you? What were your reasons to leave NYC in the first place, if it was your Shangri La (or heaven) in the first place?

I'll even chip in ...(I can't stand whiners, move where you'll be happy).

I will co-sing on the last quote. Atlanta is not too bad of a pedestrian city. Tried walking in South Florida? You'll then, appreciate Atlanta.

Excuse me but I really did not ask you for your assistance in my relocation. Secondly if I was whinning about living here it certainly was not to you. Thirdly maybe NYC is not for YOU you are correct, but maybe the people that live in NYC enjoy there surroundings and for the people that do not they will often move to the burbs or out of state. Most people I know move to Atlanta from NY looking for a cheaper home. However, some like it some dont. The problem that I have is this, I would not go bashing others for not liking what I like, and not agreeing with what I agree with. So, when I ask YOU for your opinion I will accept your opinion from you.

Again, if you want to go back, what's stopping you? What were your reasons to leave NYC in the first place, if it was your Shangri La (or heaven) in the first place?
To answer your question, I am making arrangements to move back north not NYC, just yet. What is stopping me, is that Atlanta dosnt pay enough for a person to move when they are ready to so you have to plan and save and leave when it is MY time to move.

Ask yourself this: Why have so many people left NYC and are still doing so? It gets it due respect in many areas, but...would I move my family there? Would I trade what I have now in Atlanta for a cramped Apt in Park Slope or a 2 family home in Queens with no backyard? I think not.
That is you, there are people in Park Slope just like there are others that have decided to leave.

NY'er here chyming in, again. NYC has more to offer in what ways? That's a subjective issue. NYC does not fit the bill for everyone. Some things I liked to do while living in NYC, I had to go to CT or NJ,
NYC has more to offer in the sense for ME, that I can live on LI or upstate, or even NJ or CT and travel back to the city for a decent wage. I can also travel to these places for a more slower pace of life, if that is what I am looking for. What I have found in regards to Atlanta is that the job market is lacking, you must know someone to be able to make it here, and this often prevents some from paving there way. NYC dosnt fit the bill for everyone, however, LI as well as upstate is a great medium to get away from the fast pace life of NYC.- So what is Atlanta lacking for ME, is the CT or NJ that you speak of

I lived comfortably, went to private schools, etc. I love NYC, but have to admit that for professionals, with families, that want to settle down, Atlanta has a lot more to offer. NYC will always have a place in my heart. I am not bitter about NYC, but the hustle and bustle of the "City" gets old after a while for many (including me). I call it what it is, that's all. I give Atlanta its due credit, and make the best of it, instead of whining. Hope you can too.

This can be subjective to your liking as well, I think LI, and upstate has more to offer than Atlanta, so what. Also, if you read my post I am not whinning I am stressing my dislike of Atlanta, but whinning no, I was also responsing to the post that NYers have not been out of NY and that we are ignorant to the outside world, and my stance is the same, you have no idea what you are talking about and that is not true. Now I can give credit where credit is due the homes in Atlanta are absolutely great, if that is what you like, and while I am here I will make the best out of it. But what I will not do is lower my standards and settle. I dont know what else to tell ya, I will be leaving when the time is right for me, and I am sure that just like me, your life here will be no better or worst, so why the big concern about what others think about Atlanta,?

Old 08-20-2009, 04:33 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHRESHTX View Post
Well i know it is a good city...i like the hills and all...and i heard they have great restaurants. My experience eating there was horrible. I remember going to place called varsitys??? To tell you the truth...i did not like there food at all...and isnt that like a historical fast food place there?
LOL.Well yeh but its like just a burger joint for college students basically.Its real popular after football games.Especially those at Tech down the street.Most people who live in the city other than young students do NOT tell people visiting to go there over much much better restaurant options.There are some really great restaurants that are not "chains".Like fro BBQ,"Rolling Bones" or "Fat Matts".Atlanta does much better in the high end unfortuanately than the low end,but not bad.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:21 PM

371 posts, read 1,554,996 times
I love Atlanta, I did not expect to but I do. I like the diversity, I like being able to find trees in the city, I like being able to spend a short time in the car to get to a beautiful lake, I like the food, the people and especially those hot women.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britishintown View Post
I love Atlanta, I did not expect to but I do. I like the diversity, I like being able to find trees in the city, I like being able to spend a short time in the car to get to a beautiful lake, I like the food, the people and especially those hot women.
I think it grows on people.The value is not always noticeable by just visiting sometimes.Especially if you are from a much larger metropolis.Some of my friends are from Europe who have been here for business or school,they think its nice but not great.However seems almost every time when they arrive back in their country of origin they really miss it to the point that they are trying to return to Atlanta....And yes for the hot women too.lol

Old 08-20-2009, 07:47 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,140 times
My replies in bold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMISSNY View Post
Excuse me but I really did not ask you for your assistance in my relocation. Secondly if I was whinning about living here it certainly was not to you. Thirdly maybe NYC is not for YOU you are correct, but maybe the people that live in NYC enjoy there surroundings and for the people that do not they will often move to the burbs or out of state. Most people I know move to Atlanta from NY looking for a cheaper home. However, some like it some dont. The problem that I have is this, I would not go bashing others for not liking what I like, and not agreeing with what I agree with. So, when I ask YOU for your opinion I will accept your opinion from you.
You are misreading just about everything said. You are trying to paint a picture that all New Yorkers are the same, and that's what I was dispelling. I made my point about NYC clear. It's not for everyone. Some outgrow it, some don't. What's so hard to understand? Most people I know moving to Atlanta are not just after a cheaper home, most are looking for a change of environment, a change of pace. They want better for their families, kids etc. Again, I am correcting your generalizations. . No one is bashing anyone here, but to come to a place and constantly rag in front of the natives and telling them that their place is no NYC (calling it wack, ass backwards, country etc), is in many ways disrespectful. That's all I was trying to convey. Easy on the place. All I am saying, if it's that bad...bounce..I can respect you not liking it here, but a little respect goes a long way.
Quote:
To answer your question, I am making arrangements to move back north not NYC, just yet. What is stopping me, is that Atlanta dosnt pay enough for a person to move when they are ready to so you have to plan and save and leave when it is MY time to move.
Glad you're doing what makes you happy. Speak for yourself about the pay thing. I have a good amount of friends and family that make more than they have in NYC, or Florida for that matter. They would not move back to NYC for anything on earth. (Of course the people I speak of are in the Medical and Engineering fields). However, many others (who are professionals) are doing better than they did in NYC in their respective fields, comparing dollar for dollar. The mortgage, insurance, gas, utilties, private schools, are substantially lower here, hence the savings across the board for them. Don't get me wrong there are cases of people I know that moved from NYC expecting Atlanta to be their heaven and expected to see success and money land at their doorsteps. Those are the ones reminding me of the many NY posters who are miserable and disappointed. They set themselves up for that. The ones you mention coming here just for a cheaper house are also disappointed. Coming to any area, just to get a house and not factoring everything else is downright absurd/stupid.
Quote:
NYC has more to offer in the sense for ME, that I can live on LI or upstate, or even NJ or CT and travel back to the city for a decent wage. I can also travel to these places for a more slower pace of life, if that is what I am looking for. What I have found in regards to Atlanta is that the job market is lacking, you must know someone to be able to make it here, and this often prevents some from paving there way. NYC dosnt fit the bill for everyone, however, LI as well as upstate is a great medium to get away from the fast pace life of NYC.- So what is Atlanta lacking for ME, is the CT or NJ that you speak of
I'll agree about 'go getters' in NYC being able to make due without contacts as much as other places, however on the flipside, it exists all over. NYC is no exception.

Right out of college, I got a great gig in the city working for a firm on Wall Street as a Network Engineer. It was easier because I had a friend that worked there, and made getting the foot in the door, easier. That's all over the place, and in this competitive market moreso. You'll see what I am saying. It's a dog eat dog world in NYC now (anywhere for that matter). You'll soon see what I am talking about.

Quote:
This can be subjective to your liking as well, I think LI, and upstate has more to offer than Atlanta, so what. Also, if you read my post I am not whinning I am stressing my dislike of Atlanta, but whinning no, I was also responsing to the post that NYers have not been out of NY and that we are ignorant to the outside world, and my stance is the same, you have no idea what you are talking about and that is not true. Now I can give credit where credit is due the homes in Atlanta are absolutely great, if that is what you like, and while I am here I will make the best out of it. But what I will not do is lower my standards and settle. I dont know what else to tell ya, I will be leaving when the time is right for me, and I am sure that just like me, your life here will be no better or worst, so why the big concern about what others think about Atlanta,?
I for one believe LI has its advantages over the city of NY, but you will be paying out your ass in taxes, you'll soon see what I am talking about. Don't forget the LIRR, which isn't cheap, and will eat that paycheck in no time, or $5-$7.50 E-Z Pass tolls each way. Don't forget higher gas prices, high auto insurance, expensive parking, etc. (Don't you know why many people in NYC register their cars in other states? (For lower rates) ). By the way, the MTA fare went up again. I was there a few weeks ago. It went up while I was there. Enjoy that too...

You'll soon find out your pay is not that much better than it was in Atlanta (It depends, I shouldn't talk for everyone). You mention having to live on Long Island, or CT...so you are proving me right, that you have to go elsewhere....far from the city to get what you want in terms of comfort and space. When I speak on NYC, I am talking about the 5 Boroughs, not deep Long Island or CT, or even NJ. There, you give me the upper hand of reason . When you mention upstate, LI, and CT, you are not in NYC anymore. That's a futile point defending the whole NYC vs Atlanta thing..

Old 08-20-2009, 08:00 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMISSNY View Post
This can be subjective to your liking as well, I think LI, and upstate has more to offer than Atlanta, so what.
I can't believe I let this slip...What upstate are you talking about? Not dead, Buffalo/Central NY/Syracuse? You have lost your mind. Get off your high horse. These places are equivalent to Columbus,GA and Savannah. Please...Now you're really talking nonsense. At this point, for you to say that, you clearly have not been to any of these places, and it clearly shows.. That's just crazy...

Old 08-20-2009, 08:38 PM

66 posts, read 136,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKATL View Post
You and me both, had tons of money when I came down here. Now I'm broke, busted and disgusted and the economy is not the blame.
You and me both. That's why I feel robbed. We didn't sign up for this. Trust me I saved a lot people from coming to this part of hell. Experience is a good teacher . Only the strong survive and move on. Its where you're from,not where you're at. Where you're from is where you get your character and strength. Thank you mom for getting off the plane in ny.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
I can't believe I let this slip...What upstate are you talking about? Not dead, Buffalo/Central NY/Syracuse? You have lost your mind. Get off your high horse. These places are equivalent to Columbus,GA and Savannah. Please...Now you're really talking nonsense. At this point, for you to say that, you clearly have not been to any of these places, and it clearly shows.. That's just crazy...
LOL.I was thinking the same thing. Upstate NY is very bland.Buffalo?LOL.Rodchester?ALBANY?lol.Not that Georgia's other cities are that great with the exception of Savannah and there are downsides there too.The big difference is that at least many of those other cities in Georgia are growing faster and not loosing population and jobs like those cities in upstate NY.Although I must admit that the schools are much better in upstate New York.You can still find good schools in Georgia also,but ourside Atlanta metro,you gotta do your work a little harder at searching.

I think that many people come South and look for every little thing that they heard they might find here.Then blow it up like it never existed where they are from.Fact is people tolerate things more when they are in there "comfort zone".

Old 08-20-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbrooklyn View Post
You and me both. That's why I feel robbed. We didn't sign up for this. Trust me I saved a lot people from coming to this part of hell. Experience is a good teacher . Only the strong survive and move on. Its where you're from,not where you're at. Where you're from is where you get your character and strength. Thank you mom for getting off the plane in ny.
Actually your strength and character should allow you to be able to adapt anywhere if the quality of such life lessons were indeed valuable and learned well.Do you think it was easy for a person from the South like myself to live up North.I hated it at first because it was not like Atlanta.It seemed dirty,old ,and cold.I quickly adjusted and decided that I could thrive if I accept my surroundings for what they are and just basically ADAPT.I now love the North but I prefer to live South.Sometimes I go back and forth.People that don't succeed in any place basically do not or unwilling to adapt,Simple as that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta