Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 01:15 PM

12 posts, read 92,312 times

Advertisements

Hi y'all.
I am looking for places (specific if you can) or ideas of places that will allow a pit bull. I'm open to apartments and rental houses/condos/townhomes, etc.

One of our good friends leaves for Afghanistan (National Guard) in spring and my boyfriend and I are considering watching the dog for him while he is gone for 14 months.

I am worried about finding somewhere (very affordable... we're trying to save up for a down payment to buy a house next year) that will allow the dog. She is a sweet, even-tempered dog that hasn't ever shown signs of aggression.

We're looking in the Marietta/Kennesaw/Woodstock/Acworth Area.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 01:22 PM

826 posts, read 3,120,972 times
Do you have to say what kind of dog you have when looking for a place? Is this a pit-bull mix? I have a Pittie Mix, shes Shepherd and Pittie and is sweet and very submissive. If I am asked on paper I just say shes a Shepherd Mix. I take her to Grant Park alot and many of us have Pitties or Pittie Mixes we got from the Atlanta Humane Society.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:25 PM

Ya know, I am not really sure if she is full-blooded or a mix. I guess that would be a great loophole to figure out? Thanks for that idea!

And I don't know what you have to do to get an apt/rental with a dog... I guess I've never done it before.

Thanks for bring both of these ideas to my attention.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:28 PM

826 posts, read 3,120,972 times
Or say Terrier mix. There was a survey done with people thinking they could pick up the pitbull but a huge majority were actually wrong.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:33 PM

750 posts, read 2,276,501 times
Do apartments not allow certain types of dogs? I know that most have weight limits but not sure about type restrictions. I lived in The Village at a Lake Park apartments for a few years (off of Cobb parkway in Smyrna) and they didn't have issues with pitbulls, I would see plenty of people walking them.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:42 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,891,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merin View Post
Do you have to say what kind of dog you have when looking for a place? Is this a pit-bull mix? I have a Pittie Mix, shes Shepherd and Pittie and is sweet and very submissive. If I am asked on paper I just say shes a Shepherd Mix. I take her to Grant Park alot and many of us have Pitties or Pittie Mixes we got from the Atlanta Humane Society.
Hah, I have a Shepherd/Golden Retriever mix. Our insurance agent wrote her down as "Golden Retriever mix", saying that GSDs are also regarded as problem dogs!

Old 10-20-2008, 09:05 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
Many apartments have weight limits on dogs, and many are adopting "breed" limits as well (and yet, Pit Bulls are on all those lists). Be aware that many renter's insurance companies and home owners companies are also starting to refuse coverage to people who own certain what they call "biting breeds" (you need to ask the agents for details).

While I realize there are plenty of sweet little Pits out there named Fluffy, there's also a certain amount of bad press involved with the breed (some legit, some not). I can't refer you to any place that will take them, but you need to ask up front and by all means, don't sneak the dog in a place - it's immediate grounds for lease termination and a boot.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:50 PM

Thanks for all the responses everyone! Hopefully we'll figure it out. If not, I think there is a back up plan, so it will be ok.

Old 10-23-2008, 04:12 PM

3 posts, read 22,961 times
I manage over 200 rental properties and unfortunately we cannot allow any type of the marked breeds. Atlantagreg stated that renters insurance won't allow the breeds, but it goes further than that.

Our insurance carriers will not cover the owners & us (the managers) for anyone that has a dog that is on the vicious breed list - Alaskan Malamutes, Akitas, Chow Chows, Doberman Pinschers, German Shepherds, Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, or Siberian Huskies.

Therefore, we cannot accept those or any mixes and we clearly share that up front with people so that they know.

If you do not disclose with accuracy of your breed up front and there is an issue the renter can be sued & held personally liable for any harm as well as be charged for falsification of documents. It could be grounds for lease termination & they can collect damages which can affect rental history & credit.

The only people who I know will rent to someone with those types of dogs are individual owners that really don't know about their insurance & liability rules. In any event – I would make sure that you have a rental insurance rider that covers your pet. While I am sure that you are a caring and responsible pet owner, if there is an issue, you should have protection if you can find it.

Best wishes!

Old 10-23-2008, 05:21 PM

29 posts, read 179,710 times
Please do not take this as an insult for it is not meant that way. I hear the term FULL BLOODED all the time and it is inappropriately used. The proper term for this is Pure Breed. All dogs are full blooded, if they aren't you need to see a vet for a fill up.

Biting Dogs (as they are classified) sometimes require notification to the local Animal Control agent in your town/county. Notification is required in the City Of North Augusta of any Pitt/Rott/Chow type of Biting Dog. You may want to check this out with your local juristiction agency.

ps... I am also the assistant Animal Control agent for North Augusta

Quote:
Originally Posted by deannaj1183 View Post
Ya know, I am not really sure if she is full-blooded or a mix..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta