Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 02:16 PM

8 posts, read 22,824 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon,

My family and I will be moving to the Atlanta area in December. I will be working at a hospital in Decatur off of Clairmont Road and my husband will be working in Smyrna. We plan to rent for one year to become familiar with the city before buying. We have a one-year old son so safety is vital. We've heard so much about Cobb County and how nice the communities and schools are in that area. However I am concerned about the commute from Cobb County (Symrna, Mableton) to Decatur for me. I dread sitting in rush hour traffic to and from work everyday, my sanity is important to me (LOL). However, I would like to live in a safe, family-oriented community. We plan to visit in November to find a place to rent. Can anyone suggest any areas to live that would be equal distance for myself and my husband to commute to work daily? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 03:05 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,485,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgreen View Post
Good afternoon,

My family and I will be moving to the Atlanta area in December. I will be working at a hospital in Decatur off of Clairmont Road and my husband will be working in Smyrna. We plan to rent for one year to become familiar with the city before buying. We have a one-year old son so safety is vital. We've heard so much about Cobb County and how nice the communities and schools are in that area. However I am concerned about the commute from Cobb County (Symrna, Mableton) to Decatur for me. I dread sitting in rush hour traffic to and from work everyday, my sanity is important to me (LOL). However, I would like to live in a safe, family-oriented community. We plan to visit in November to find a place to rent. Can anyone suggest any areas to live that would be equal distance for myself and my husband to commute to work daily? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Do you know where your DH's job will be located in Smyrna? A street name would help.

I don't suppose your DH would be willing to commute to Smyrna from the City of Decatur, a family-oriented and progressive community with excellent schools about 10 minutes from your place of employment. I think that would be the easier commute. Decatur to Smyrna.

The commute from almost anywhere in Cobb County, particularly from East Cobb which is known for its excellent schools, is 'bad'. You will be working in DeKalb County which is having some serious problems within the school system. DeKalb extends north towards Cobb County. The new City of Dunwoody has several good schools but residents of DeKalb cannot be certain what the future will bring. That is an area that might be on your list for housing between Clairmont Rd and Smyrna.

After you pass Dunwoody you enter north Fulton County, good schools and quite expensive. Cobb county borders Sandy Springs.

There may be some shortcuts but I would allow at least an hour to an hour and a half for AM/PM commutes. A miserable fate.

I would think seriously about Decatur.

City Schools of Decatur

Old 10-20-2008, 03:18 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,660,509 times
For the year you rent, I would do Dunwoody. Then I would figure out where to live during that year before I buy.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:16 PM

23,461 posts, read 44,083,751 times
My suggestion would be to look in the chain of neighborhoods stretching up Briarcliff Rd between North Druid Hills Rd and Shallowford Rd...N Druid Hills, Oak Grove, Briarcliff Woods, Echo Woods, Echo Lake, Sagamore Hills, etc.
This would give you easy access to Decatur, but also place your husband close to the I-85 exits of North Druid Hills, Clairmont, and Shallowford Rds. Before we married, my husband lived in Briarcliff Woods and would hop on I-85 at Clairmont...his commute to his office in Smyrna was about 30-35 mins. on average.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:36 AM

You stated that there is a community in Decatur that is family-oriented and progressive community that is 10 minutes away from my place of employment. Could you give me more info on that community?

Old 10-21-2008, 07:07 AM

Quote:
You stated that there is a community in Decatur that is family-oriented and progressive community that is 10 minutes away from my place of employment. Could you give me more info on that community?
City of Decatur>>>
City of Decatur, GA

Lovin' Decatur lives there and has good FYI on the community.

If you drive S on Clairmont Rd it becomes 'Clairemont Rd' after Scott Blvd, IIRC and then you are in Decatur. Historic homes, good schools, diverse and well educated citizens. It is considered a model community and has been recognized nationally.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:09 AM

Quote:
That pretty much describes the entire city of Decatur. Neighborhoods within its' boundaries:

Westchester Hills
Chelsea Heights
Lamont-Vidal
Clairemont-Great Lakes
Glennwood Heights
Winnona Park
McDonough-Adams-Kings Highway
Lenox Place
College Heights

I'll reiterate that the one negative about locating in the city of Decatur is it's inaccessibility to interstates and other areas of north Atlanta. It's going to take 20-25 minutes in the AM just to get up to I-85...and even when you get there, they'll be another shlep on the interstates to Smyrna.
This is often stressed to newcomers that take an interest in Decatur...the city itself is good (30030), and the unincorporated area of the county north of the city (Decatur 30033) is generally good, too. The neighborhoods within zips 30032, 30034, 30035 can be problematic, especially with regards to schools.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:22 AM

How is the route from i20 to I 75? I suppose you would go down Memorial Drive and continue West --getting on an interstate at some point?

Posters have said they travel from 'Decatur'/some part of it to Smyrna/Marietta but I have never known exactly how they did this.

Anyway, OP, Lovin' Decatur's first response contained a good suggestion. You can access the interstate more easily from the Briarcliff-North Druid Hills-Clairmont/Emory Corridor area. Oak Grove Elementary/Lakeside High School are located on Briarcliff Rd and are two consistently above average DeKalb Schools. Radical budget cuts for schools have begun and more are expected in DeKalb, FWIW.

hth

Old 10-21-2008, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
How is the route from i20 to I 75? I suppose you would go down Memorial Drive and continue West --getting on an interstate at some point?

Posters have said they travel from 'Decatur'/some part of it to Smyrna/Marietta but I have never known exactly how they did this.

Anyway, OP, Lovin' Decatur's first response contained a good suggestion. You can access the interstate more easily from the Briarcliff-North Druid Hills-Clairmont/Emory Corridor area. Oak Grove Elementary/Lakeside High School are located on Briarcliff Rd and are two consistently above average DeKalb Schools. Radical budget cuts for schools have begun and more are expected in DeKalb, FWIW.

hth
Very problematic...I-285 bogs down several times at I-20, LaVista, Spaghetti Junction, 'the Dunwoodys'...

Old 10-21-2008, 08:20 AM

Thanks very much for your input. It looks like one of us will have to face the horrible commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta