Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 02:16 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Although some people, like you, would rather not admit it, it is the truth that people think of GWTW when they think of Atlanta.

Most people outside of ATL do not know about Morehouse. I would say that AT MOST 20% of America outside of Atlanta would recognize Morehouse as an Atlanta college. Maybe if they had more competitive sports teams (like Xavier in New Orleans) they would be more recognized. But, as mentioned before, the majority of non-Atlantans would say Tech or Emory when asked for an Atlanta college.
As someone who lived and went to college in Atlanta and then lived for a long time far from Atlanta, mentioning to people that I lived and went to school in Atlanta, I can tell you exactly what the reaction was to Atlanta.

Most people who had never visited or who didn't know anyone in the area thought mainly of the 1996 Olympics, and many thought of Atlanta in terms of being a majority black city, with the child murders and Martin Luther King being the primary notoriaty for those folks. Some still thought in terms of the 1960s and the civil rights days, but most didn't still have the opinion that Atlanta was a bunch of rednecks.

Many other people I spoke to had been to Atlanta for conferences and business related events, the Olympics, or to visit family and friends who had moved here. They thought of Atlanta as an up and coming area that was booming, and to a lesser degree as a place where blacks were in political control.

As for colleges, most people in the northeast knew about GA Tech, but I never had many discussions about Emory or other historically black colleges, although most people know that Dr. King went to Morehouse.

I discussed the heat and humidity with people, but Gone with the Wind never entered any conversations.

Old 11-30-2008, 02:40 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaica71 View Post
The south is going to very interesting now that we have a african-american as president. I am form jamaica, west indies, where i also had a dream.

Stay positive!!!!!!
I'm not sure I like the sounds of this, at all!

You do realize that you are in a city forum where the majority of the people voted for Obama? I guess you think he is somehow going to "put us in our place" or something?

The ignorance of everything Southern just astounds me more and more every day.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:11 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
As someone who lived and went to college in Atlanta and then lived for a long time far from Atlanta, mentioning to people that I lived and went to school in Atlanta, I can tell you exactly what the reaction was to Atlanta.

Most people who had never visited or who didn't know anyone in the area thought mainly of the 1996 Olympics, and many thought of Atlanta in terms of being a majority black city, with the child murders and Martin Luther King being the primary notoriaty for those folks. Some still thought in terms of the 1960s and the civil rights days, but most didn't still have the opinion that Atlanta was a bunch of rednecks.

Many other people I spoke to had been to Atlanta for conferences and business related events, the Olympics, or to visit family and friends who had moved here. They thought of Atlanta as an up and coming area that was booming, and to a lesser degree as a place where blacks were in political control.

As for colleges, most people in the northeast knew about GA Tech, but I never had many discussions about Emory or other historically black colleges, although most people know that Dr. King went to Morehouse.

I discussed the heat and humidity with people, but Gone with the Wind never entered any conversations.
Your discussions with people and their reactions don't tell you their every thought. Just because Atlanta was mentioned doesn't mean they automatically listed every association they have with the city...

I'm fairly sure that Atlanta being the setting for one of the most widely read novels ever written and one of the most popular movies ever made causes GWTW to be very strongly associated with the city.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:19 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Your discussions with people and their reactions don't tell you their every thought. Just because Atlanta was mentioned doesn't mean they automatically listed every association they have with the city...

I'm fairly sure that Atlanta being the setting for one of the most widely read novels ever written and one of the most popular movies ever made causes GWTW to be very strongly associated with the city.
I never said that I did a mind meld with people when discussing Atlanta to discover their inner most thoughts. I am referring to in-laws, friends, and people I worked with and knew for years who were aware that I went to college here and lived here previously. There were several discussions that I had regarding the south and Atlanta.

It was mentioned that GWTW was what people who lived elsewhere associated with Atlanta and that they didn't know much other than that, and I'm telling you that (at least in Boston) I didn't find that to be the case. I guess secretly in their inner most recesses that's what they were thinking.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:11 PM

63 posts, read 235,460 times
I love your response to the original post! Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merin View Post
Oh lord.....where shall I begin.
First I would like to say, each post like this helps me understand the frustrations expressed by many of the non-black members of this board. As an African American , who is not originally from Atlanta, it has taken me a while to understand certain aspects of the local culture.
Second, an influx of Whites into a city that has been traditionally African American is "promoting diversity", so the original posters comment is a curious one.
Third, the influx of non-black into the city is itself progressive. Please explain how this threatens the MLK history of the city. As I recall MLK wanted equality for all and for us to come together as humans being, regardless of race.
Fourth-If the influx of people, of different race, discourages you, then please don't move here.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:50 PM

341 posts, read 1,337,964 times
Quote:
Excuse me? No, I am not 92. I am 22. And yes, most of mainstream America thinks of Gone with the Wind when they think of Atlanta. Have you read the book? Do you know that it is the 2nd best selling book of all time besides the Bible? Although some people, like you, would rather not admit it, it is the truth that people think of GWTW when they think of Atlanta.

Most people outside of ATL do not know about Morehouse. I would say that AT MOST 20% of America outside of Atlanta would recognize Morehouse as an Atlanta college. Maybe if they had more competitive sports teams (like Xavier in New Orleans) they would be more recognized. But, as mentioned before, the majority of non-Atlantans would say Tech or Emory when asked for an Atlanta college.

I am not an idiot. And I am not a troll. My statements are supported with factual and true information. And the fact that you refuse to accept facts as truth only exemplifies and proves your ignorance. Lastly, "whurr" is not a word. Please learn to spell before you start calling others "idiots".

^^^^

^^^^
Wow 22?????? That’s interesting. But if Gone with the Wind is so popular why doesn’t anyone under the age of 65 even remember were or what that book was about? Not sure where you went to school, but GWTW was not required reading at my school, nor did people just read it for fun. Furthermore, have you taken the tours of the Margaret Mitchell house??? I have been once with visiting family, and I used to walk by it on a daily basis in the summer coming from my Moms office in the old First Union building to the Midtown MARTA station, and that tour was usually empty, as in NO ONE, not one single person on it, just the guide talking to some homeless vagrant trying to stay warm or occupy his time. In addition, if GWTW is so popular why is that every few years they have to have some sort of fund-raiser just to keep the building from being bought and torn down by a developer???? GWTW probably makes you think of Atlanta if you were born when Woolworth’s used to be downtown or if your people like to think about the “good ol days” LOL, but for anyone born after 1970 (such as myself) you could live here in Atlanta and not even know the book is set in Atlanta. Allot of people from here and most elsewhere in the USA don’t even know the significant role Atlanta played in the civil war, let alone a book based around those events. So if most of mainstream America doesn’t even know Atlanta had a major Civil War battle that took place here, how in the world are you gonna sit here and say they know about GWTW? Seriously dude!!!!!!

Old 12-02-2008, 03:51 PM

4 posts, read 6,683 times
I have been in Atlanta for 30 years now. I am in the suburbs now because of better schools for my children. It's still not that great. I am considering relocating to the midwest. It's not about preservation. Being black doesn't preserve the city. We have to look at the type of people that live in the areas, no matter the race.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:51 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Virgo Child View Post
^^^^

But if Gone with the Wind is so popular why doesn’t anyone under the age of 65 even remember were or what that book was about?

That tour was usually empty, as in NO ONE, not one single person on it, just the guide talking to some homeless vagrant trying to stay warm or occupy his time.

In addition, if GWTW is so popular why is that every few years they have to have some sort of fund-raiser just to keep the building from being bought and torn down by a developer????

GWTW probably makes you think of Atlanta if you were born when Woolworth’s used to be downtown or if your people like to think about the “good ol days” LOL, but for anyone born after 1970 (such as myself) you could live here in Atlanta and not even know the book is set in Atlanta.

Allot of people from here and most elsewhere in the USA don’t even know the significant role Atlanta played in the civil war, let alone a book based around those events. So if most of mainstream America doesn’t even know Atlanta had a major Civil War battle that took place here, how in the world are you gonna sit here and say they know about GWTW?
Your reply is purely speculation. I know plenty of people in my generation who know about GWTW, have seen the movie, read the book, know about Margaret Mitchell, etc. It was not required in any school I attended - but most well-read people know about GWTW.

The Mitchell house could not be torn down. Margaret Mitchell House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places by the National Trust for Historic Preservation in Washington, D.C.

You seem to know everything about every American. How is this possible? How do you KNOW everyone under 65 "even remember were or what that book was about" OR that "Allot of people from here and most elsewhere in the USA don’t even know the significant role Atlanta played in the civil war, let alone a book based around those events" OR that "most of mainstream America doesn’t even know Atlanta had a major Civil War battle that took place here"????

Your ignorance is fascinating.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:07 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Virgo Child View Post
^^^^

^^^^
Wow 22?????? That’s interesting. But if Gone with the Wind is so popular why doesn’t anyone under the age of 65 even remember were or what that book was about? Not sure where you went to school, but GWTW was not required reading at my school, nor did people just read it for fun. Furthermore, have you taken the tours of the Margaret Mitchell house??? I have been once with visiting family, and I used to walk by it on a daily basis in the summer coming from my Moms office in the old First Union building to the Midtown MARTA station, and that tour was usually empty, as in NO ONE, not one single person on it, just the guide talking to some homeless vagrant trying to stay warm or occupy his time. In addition, if GWTW is so popular why is that every few years they have to have some sort of fund-raiser just to keep the building from being bought and torn down by a developer???? GWTW probably makes you think of Atlanta if you were born when Woolworth’s used to be downtown or if your people like to think about the “good ol days” LOL, but for anyone born after 1970 (such as myself) you could live here in Atlanta and not even know the book is set in Atlanta. Allot of people from here and most elsewhere in the USA don’t even know the significant role Atlanta played in the civil war, let alone a book based around those events. So if most of mainstream America doesn’t even know Atlanta had a major Civil War battle that took place here, how in the world are you gonna sit here and say they know about GWTW? Seriously dude!!!!!!
You are seriously revealing your level of education and intelligence. I would stop if I were you.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:30 PM

341 posts, read 1,337,964 times
Quote:
Your reply is purely speculation. I know plenty of people in my generation who know about GWTW, have seen the movie, read the book, know about Margaret Mitchell, etc. It was not required in any school I attended - but most well-read people know about GWTW.

The Mitchell house could not be torn down. Margaret Mitchell House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places by the National Trust for Historic Preservation in Washington, D.C.

You seem to know everything about every American. How is this possible? How do you KNOW everyone under 65 "even remember were or what that book was about" OR that "Allot of people from here and most elsewhere in the USA don’t even know the significant role Atlanta played in the civil war, let alone a book based around those events" OR that "most of mainstream America doesn’t even know Atlanta had a major Civil War battle that took place here"????

Your ignorance is fascinating.

^^^^^
Im glad you find what you deem to be “my ignorance” fascinating, I also find your hypocrisy fascinating as well as quite hilarious. If you notice I just did the same thing in my post as you did in yours, if you can speculate that “AT MOST 20% of America outside of Atlanta would recognize Morehouse as an Atlanta college”, then I am well within my rights to speculate that most people under 65 are not familiar with GWTW, and have no clue its based in Atlanta. So if you consider my reply speculations, what you would you call yours? So unless your post has a Zogby poll or a Rasmussen poll to back it up I would consider your post just as much speculation as mine. The Margaret Mitchell house may now be on the National Register of Historic Places, but that’s a recent development, as I remember quite clearly them having a fund raiser to raise money to keep it from being bull dozed to the ground. This was some time ago when the building on the corner of 10th and Peachtree were the offices of First Union Bank which has since gone with the wind ( pun intended), but not too long ago as I am not that much older than you. But anyway I do remember seeing the tour for the Margaret Mitchell on almost a daily basis as I rode MARTA home from the Midtown Station back when I was in school, and just like the time I took the tour personally myself there is hardly anybody that takes the tour, I cant tell you how many times I saw the tour guide talking to the same homeless man while waiting for my bus. And when you saw that “most well read people are familiar with that book” that’s pure speculation as well, furthermore if that was the case most Americans are anything but “well read” (is that the right way to say that? I think not) .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta