Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 03:50 PM

245 posts, read 652,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
How about Williamson Bros just north of the Big Chicken on Roswell Road?

I'm also a fan of Famous Daves -- there's three in Atlanta, including one in Marietta on Power Ferry Road next to the TGI Fridays. Not southern BBQ necessarily, but the decor really reminds us of home. My grandpa's cabin had all sorts of the same stuff on the walls and outside in the shed.
i think truly good BBQ is the big area where Atlanta falls notably short. I have yet to find some I really like. There's always a line at Fat Matt's, but I thought it was pretty bad... Maddie's in Decatur is essentially a rip-off of it. Williamson Bros I tried once, wasn't impressed. Ditto for Fox Bros near downtown, which I know some people like.

I always love my trips to Memphis, where I gorge.

i do think there's room for a really great barbecue place to come in & dominate this market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 03:54 PM

a pizza place I'm really a big fan of is Little 5 Points Pizza. Very small place with booths along one wall inside & then some tables outside, tons of punk rock & music stickers all over the walls. Don't be scared by the look of the place or the staff -- there's probably more metal on the staff (many piercings, etc. than there is in the ovens they use, but it's some really good pizza.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:06 PM

it's a very small and new chain out of California, but for burgers, try The Counter on Mansell in Roswell. It's the only one in Georgia so far. I used to think the Varsity was probably the best burger in town, but The Counter ups the ante (except they don't serve tater tots, one of my favorite things about eating at the Varsity). It's as good a burger as I've ever had in a restaurant, but it's $$$.

supposedly there's some new gourmet burger place called Flip that's opening somewhere in Atlanta, saw it in the AJC.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:07 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,369,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdatl View Post
i have a friend who tried it & said it was the worst meal he's had in Atlanta in his 5.5 yrs here. I would like to check out the view, but that has scared me off.

Do they sell drinks or anything like that? the place in New York that spins will let you in if you agree to an overpriced drink or overpriced fruit buffet, not a full-blown meal.
Well, the meal wasn't that bad. And I've had far worse meals in Atlanta, such as the ones I had at The Varsity!

If you just want to check out the view you can go up to the observation deck above the restaurant. The cost is $5 per adult and $3 per child, according to the website. But there's just something cool about eating in a revolving restaurant.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:19 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,399,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
Do you mean Trader Vic's? It is tikki heaven

Trader Vics Atlanta
That is it! Thanks!

Old 11-01-2008, 09:34 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdatl View Post
it's a very small and new chain out of California, but for burgers, try The Counter on Mansell in Roswell. It's the only one in Georgia so far. I used to think the Varsity was probably the best burger in town, but The Counter ups the ante (except they don't serve tater tots, one of my favorite things about eating at the Varsity). It's as good a burger as I've ever had in a restaurant, but it's $$$.

supposedly there's some new gourmet burger place called Flip that's opening somewhere in Atlanta, saw it in the AJC.
You may not be aware of it, but we also have a branch of Fatburger from L.A. It's on Sidney Marcus in Buckhead, a couple of doors down from a good Cuban place called Coco Loco.

Old 11-01-2008, 09:37 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
For any of you that like Eastern Carolina style barbeque, check out Dusty's. They are at the corner of Briarcliff and Clifton near Emory.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:56 AM

15 posts, read 43,252 times
The best pizza I've had since I left NY years ago is Galla's (sp?) on Johnson Ferry in East Cobb. I really like Royal Thai on Spaulding and love the Marietta Diner.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:47 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
Glad to find this thread again--when in doubt --eat.

I happened to drive north yesterday and can report there are a number of interesting places to eat appearing.

At Peachtree Industrial/Peachtree Pkwy--Kroger/Target shopping center there is an Irish Pub.

For those who may need to know.

Slope's BBQ at the Cumming Hwy still has the best BBQ chicken plate, FWIW.

Any further food news?

Old 02-05-2009, 07:11 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
I noticed this thread orphaned in the storm.

For the NYC's and others>>>
//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...delis-atl.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta