Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 06:15 AM

293 posts, read 901,391 times

Advertisements

Re: the water issue and drought... many of you have spoken being prevented topping up swimming pools in your summer months, how do they really enforce that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 07:00 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
They trust that citizens will do the right thing, and some neighbors will turn in violators. Early on when things were dire, some counties had people driving around looking for illegal water use but I think that has subsided lately. There was also a review of your bill from a year ago, and if your usage exceeded (by some percentage) that of the previous year when no ban was in place, I think you were flagged.

Bottom line is that people should do what's right, but there will always be selfish people who think the rules don't apply to them, and many of them will get away with breaking the rules.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:09 AM

okay...

I don't think we can blame individuals for using water as they wish.
But factories or other businesses who use it by gallons and tons of them, perhaps they should have a ban too... what do you thin?

Old 10-26-2008, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie-Lydie View Post
I don't think we can blame individuals for using water as they wish.
What do you mean? Of course we can "blame individuals for using water as they wish" when we're in a drought and there are restrictions. Are you kidding me?

The state and county have instituted a ban on outdoor water use, and it's done for a reason...to ensure that we have water over the long term. Everyone has the ethical and legal responsibility to adhere to the ban. Obviously, the government can't enforce the regulations given the scope, so it's a ban where responsible citizens are put on an honor system. In my opinion, anyone who doesn't follow the restrictions is selfish and deserves a hefty fine and to have their water shut off.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:23 AM

Well, I just don't agree with you and every one thinking like you. Saying that those who use water, a bit of water, despite the ban is selfish, does not lead anywhere.

What I meant was that there are bigger consummer of water in cities than individuals themselves, and that water should be first for human beings than machines. But we forget those ones, and we blame the little ones. as usual.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:34 AM

989 posts, read 1,742,193 times
I think your are confusing two seperate issues. The water ban is to conserve water for the long term use of the City during a drought. This ban keeps discretionary water from being wasted. Watering plants and washing your car is irresponsble consumption for personal use. Remember water is not a commodity, it's a human need for existence. Now, if I talk about the City telling me to consume less water, then noticing reciept drops and subsequently raise water rates. Well, wait that did happen.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie-Lydie View Post
Well, I just don't agree with you and every one thinking like you. Saying that those who use water, a bit of water, despite the ban is selfish, does not lead anywhere.

What I meant was that there are bigger consummer of water in cities than individuals themselves, and that water should be first for human beings than machines. But we forget those ones, and we blame the little ones. as usual.
Sorry, but everyone doesn't just get to do what they want to do because they want to do it. I reiterate that's selfish behavior, and the outdoor watering ban and request for voluntary conservation were put in place because the resources are scarce and need to be conserved. What about that isn't getting through?

I do agree with you that business should be included in the water restrictions, and they were. Mandated reductions were instituted for business and government, and many water consuming businesses like car washes use recycling equipment to minimze its use.

Old 10-26-2008, 12:01 PM

539 posts, read 2,102,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Sorry, but everyone doesn't just get to do what they want to do because they want to do it. I reiterate that's selfish behavior, and the outdoor watering ban and request for voluntary conservation were put in place because the resources are scarce and need to be conserved. What about that isn't getting through?

I do agree with you that business should be included in the water restrictions, and they were. Mandated reductions were instituted for business and government, and many water consuming businesses like car washes use recycling equipment to minimze its use.
As a matter of fact many car washes went out of business due to the drought last year. Several nurseries suffered as well as many farmers. This was their livelihood and everyone had to obey for the good of the state as a whole. It was severe. People had to adhere to their civic responsibilities and adhere to the ban. If that meant that you couldn't fill your swimming pool, wash your car or water your plants, too bad. I don't think that a few people should be allowed to use the water as they wish which could lead to people buying their drinking water in bottles. Yes, it could happen.

Not only were mandated reductions instituted for businesses but businesses and individuals alike were offered "breaks" for installing lower water consumption appliances, faucets, toilets and the like.

We are living in a world where our natural resources are being used up faster than you can blink. Water consumption should be a top priority whether or not we are in a drought, as well as energy consumption. Sometimes it is severe and has to be mandated. People need to quit there whining and look to the future of our world.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:50 PM

I don't disagree with all your arguments (although I don't agree with the selfish label), was just asking how it was enforced full stop.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:21 PM
VJP

721 posts, read 1,727,922 times
There are indeed rules on grey water recovery, large business use, and nurseries. Stop with your anti-business drivel. The point is that you probably patronize those businesses and enjoy the fact that they use water to make goods that you purchase. In the grand scheme of things you seem to feel the businesses are 'large' while the individual is 'small'. However the contrary is true, and even in my own capitalist, indivdiualist view of economy, I support water rules. This is because people will not stop if asked, they must be mandated, as a whole. I disagree with the rise in water rates, that was a poor attempt to pull wool. Even the biggest individualist cannot 'make water' so that's ok.

At present I rarely see any enforcement - there were patrols and neighbors turning each other in, but it was much more of a word of mouth type thing and I certainly don't see very m,any clean cars. I live itp though, so it may be different in the burbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta