Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 08:07 AM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GF72 View Post
Yeah the Census Bureau doesn't exactly have it's act together. But then again it's massive undertaking. Looking at that list, the 519k estimate for Atlanta is too optimistic for me to believe, Atlanta Regional Commission as well as the Census fact sheet (which has full stats of everything other than just pop. estimate) put Atlanta in the 470k range. either way I am less inclined to believe Census mathematicians who are trying to chart the population trends of the whole country using formulas than the Atlanta Regional Commission whose sole job is to monitor the region.... but whatever, we'll have solid data in 2010 for the next census.

The Census Bureau really needs to completely redo its CDP system in metro Atlanta though to match up with the current suburb system. Most major unincorporated areas (like the majority of Dekalb, Cobb, and Gwinnett) will go unreported apart from either county-wide data or the poor fool who decides to try to work with all the little tracts individually and add them up to whatever suburb they want data for.

I agree. Do you think the Census Bureau CDP system just reflects Metro Atlanta's crazy set up? Is the CDP system matched up better in other metro areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 09:44 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I agree. Do you think the Census Bureau CDP system just reflects Metro Atlanta's crazy set up? Is the CDP system matched up better in other metro areas?
I think these CDPs have been around for decades, don't see them realigning them or adding new ones to reflect the fast changes in this metro area.

The DC metro seems a lot like Atlanta, a lot of unincorporated areas in both Virginia and Maryland that aren't incorporated cities and a rather small central city that hasn't grown. Atlanta at least has the opportunity to expand, it has a little to the southwest recently. I am sure DC is locked with its current boundaries forever.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:01 PM

481 posts, read 2,821,424 times
yeah the CDP's were selected a while ago and no one is going to bother to add more or change them because they just don't care on the federal level.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:26 PM

22 posts, read 63,797 times
Sandy Springs is growing at a very fast rate. By 2020 they predict Sandy Springs will have a population of 135,000 .... However, I think it will be much higher then that.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:36 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSPD53 View Post
Sandy Springs is growing at a very fast rate. By 2020 they predict Sandy Springs will have a population of 135,000 .... However, I think it will be much higher then that.
This would not surprise me, either...with its' location on the northern point of I-285, a downtown ripe for higher density development, and surrounded by some of the most affluent neighborhoods in Atlanta, Sandy Springs could well become another urban center a la Buckhead, Perimeter, and Cumberland.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:49 AM

22 posts, read 63,797 times
Very true!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta