Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 06:33 PM

25 posts, read 86,760 times

Advertisements

Why can't people in this town just get jobs-why must they continue to take from hard working people-it makes me sick! I have never seen so much crime in my life-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 07:50 PM

156 posts, read 433,591 times
I'm closing on a house in Grant Park this week. I never thought I'd look down there, but I was really impressed with how well kept the neighborhood is and how much of a sense of community exists. The residents are so nice and it's really family oriented.

There's crime everywhere. I have friends in an upscale neighborhood in Roswell that have experienced multiple burglaries and even saw someone looking in their basement window.

Everyone needs to start being more vigilant and the good guys need to stick together.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:13 PM
VJP

721 posts, read 1,728,737 times
NEighbor vigilance is indeed required. Just today we received word that the latest round of major thieves of flat screens, motorcycles, and so on, through burglaries in the daytime in east lake and oakhurts were apprehended. There were ten of them, and yes they broke into houses regardless of dogs at home.

I have noticed the easier it is to get to your house from the street, the more attractive you are to these lazy burglars. Any houses with shrubs and bushes allowing burglars to hide or be out of sight or in the darkness will also increase this behavior.

As mentioned, we have our reasons, you have yours for living where you live. We are careful and vigilant and neither I nor my friends/girlfriends/etc etc have ever felt unsafe. Of course Mr. Ruger has a few words to have with you if you choose to break in while I happen to be here.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:17 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
I'm beginning to think that crazy guy in Texas who shot the burglars who were breaking into his neighbors home wasn't QUITE as crazy as we once thought.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:09 AM

826 posts, read 3,121,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I'm beginning to think that crazy guy in Texas who shot the burglars who were breaking into his neighbors home wasn't QUITE as crazy as we once thought.
Greg, do you remember the story about the guy , in Ormewood Park, who's house was being broken in to while he was home? He just started shooting, well they found one of the guys bodies 3 days later. Seems as if he not only killed one, but the accomplices just left him to die. Or the 14 year old who held up the off-duty officer at gunpoint. That 14 year old held up my neighbor, at gunpoint, 3 days earlier.
You know I am as liberal as they come but...I don't feel bad when these people are shot.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:14 AM

55 posts, read 233,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckysnap View Post
Welcome to the Big A, home of the thug nation. I am 60 years old, lived in 6 different cities and never have been broken into. You chose to live in a dangerous area, you will be acosted. Subjecting your wife, girlfriend or any female to living in "the hood" is irresponsible, I dont care if you have a video surveilance system, a rottie,or a "9" or a shotgun!
Yeah, "the hood"...like in Coweta county: http://www.cbs46.com/metronews/17810196/detail.html - Sounds scary in the burb's! I don't know why anyone would subject their wife, girlfriend or any female to live out there where they get shot from home invasions. I'm glad I live in the city!

Sorry for the sarcasm...I just get irritated when burb folks try point the finger at the city and claim that these things don't happen outside of intown neighborhoods. (So don't even get me started about other examples where families get tied up and pistol whipped during suburban home invasions...)

Old 10-30-2008, 01:44 PM

179 posts, read 557,595 times
Quote:
Welcome to the Big A, home of the thug nation. I am 60 years old, lived in 6 different cities and never have been broken into. You chose to live in a dangerous area, you will be acosted. Subjecting your wife, girlfriend or any female to living in "the hood" is irresponsible, I dont care if you have a video surveilance system, a rottie,or a "9" or a shotgun!

Oh and just so you know, some of us females actually convince our significant others to live in "the hood." I can take care of myself...and I also watch out for my neighbors since I'm at home more often than many of them since I work from my house. Take your precautions (we do have bars on some of our windows and a security door on the back of our house and we have an alarm), but live your life. Be smart about it and there's no need to cower in fear all the time. (And yes, I've been burglarized - but it wasn't where I live now.)

Old 10-30-2008, 05:08 PM

539 posts, read 2,102,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westviewbungalow View Post
Yeah, "the hood"...like in Coweta county: Person Shot During Coweta Home Invasion - Metro Atlanta News Story - WGCL Atlanta - Sounds scary in the burb's! I don't know why anyone would subject their wife, girlfriend or any female to live out there where they get shot from home invasions. I'm glad I live in the city!

Sorry for the sarcasm...I just get irritated when burb folks try point the finger at the city and claim that these things don't happen outside of intown neighborhoods. (So don't even get me started about other examples where families get tied up and pistol whipped during suburban home invasions...)
Coweta County is not "the hood". The victim of this home invasion was targeted because of his business, or so the victim believes. It wasn't a random act of violence in "the burbs". Really, how often do you hear of this sort of thing happening in Coweta County?

Old 10-30-2008, 07:20 PM

55 posts, read 233,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_mommy View Post
Coweta County is not "the hood". The victim of this home invasion was targeted because of his business, or so the victim believes. It wasn't a random act of violence in "the burbs". Really, how often do you hear of this sort of thing happening in Coweta County?
You must have missed the part where I said "sorry for the sarcasm"...

And speaking of other places that aren't "the hood" (as luckysnap likes to put it)...Grant Park! Just check out those homes going on $1 million!

I was talking about the suburbs in general, Coweta county being one of them (see the part where I said "don't even get me started about other examples"). So as far as suburbs go, violent crime can just as easily happen there as this one story showed. People need to stop pointing fingers at intown neighborhoods and pretend things only happens there.

Hey VirtualM, how about taking the family on another stroll along the dangerous intown BeltLine trail...

Old 10-30-2008, 09:45 PM

43 posts, read 117,333 times
Quote:
Wow. Give me a break, Grant Park is not the "hood." Anyone who would believe that probably hasn't been here recently. Hell, I hear about more robberies down in Stockbridge where my grandmother lives than around here. I lived in Snellville for 15 years and there's no shortage of crime there. More ignorance, assumptions and ITP fearmongering. And when I do get robbed, I'll have a lot more money to replace stuff with the money I don't buy gas with
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta