Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 07:40 PM

23,364 posts, read 43,832,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
Apparently nearly every white in Georgia is a republican, because I don't believe any of the northern metro counties voted democrat. Nearly 80% of Forsyth voted for McCain !!!!
I suspect this is more about political philosophy than about race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 07:41 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,665,762 times
Quote:
Georgia seems more racist than most of America. Blacks all across the country voted for Obama. But it seems like more whites up north and west voted for Obama than whites in Georgia did.
This is exactly why I changed my 'My Status'!

Those same Whites are going to vote for a Democrat more than Georgian Whites are going to vote for a Democrat.

Since a larger percentage of Blacks than Whites didn't vote for McCain, shouldn't they be the racist ones?

Old 11-05-2008, 07:48 PM

606 posts, read 1,999,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
This is exactly why I changed my 'My Status'!

Those same Whites are going to vote for a Democrat more than Georgian Whites are going to vote for a Democrat.

Since a larger percentage of Blacks than Whites didn't vote for McCain, shouldn't they be the racist ones?
Why are northern whites more likely to be democrat than southern whites ?

Old 11-05-2008, 08:35 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,665,762 times
Quote:
Why are northern whites more likely to be democrat than southern whites ?
B/C that's how they've voted for the last 20+ years.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:09 PM

18,938 posts, read 43,319,739 times
Quote:
But it seems like more whites up north and west voted for Obama than whites in Georgia did.
Any coincidence those states have low black populations? The more races are forced to live around one another, the more tension (racism) there will be.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:23 PM

51 posts, read 126,955 times
it doesnt matter....... it still Failed, get over it put in on the shelf beside the civil war and move on.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:36 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,798,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I suspect this is more about political philosophy than about race.
LD, I think you know by now that I am one of your biggest fans. Can't believe all of the blubber I have been reading on this thread. Yours is the first sane post I have seen.

A red state is a state that leans more to a conservative political philosophy. The south has always been conservative, even when it was solidly democrat, it was still conservative. We who have grown up with the racism of our forefathers have made strides to overcome it better than most of you from other points of the country. And you with no sin, go select your stones (Rodney King, OJ; cough, cough)

This election swung to the democrats because of three things:

1) Disapproval of Bush, both by the dems (duh) but also by the conservatives that elected him in for not being a fiscal conservative.

2) The huge AA turnout because of the historical connotations attached to a black man reaching the highest position in the world and in many ways the culmination of MLKs dream.

3) The under 30s finally turning out in droves to vote for a candidate exalted by hollywood and the media. Youth are always more liberal in their philosophy. Let them get a real job with taxes and begin raising children and watch them get conservative.

This country is still a center-right country. The most telling thing is the passing of prop 8 in CA. It passed primarily because the AA vote was 70-30 for it. Whites were against it, the hispanic vote split, so this shows the social conservatism of AAs in one of the most liberal states in the country. Similar resolutions passed in all corners of the country.

All you proclaiming a new day of liberalism in America, enjoy the victory for the next week, maybe a year or two, but allow a little time for it to settle in that liberalism will not usher in Utopia and the pendulum will swing back right again.

And to those of you who equate red state or conservatism with racism and proclaim yourselves as progressive and thinkers, you have just proven yourselves to be totally ignorant, at least on this topic. Those who won't visit Georgia because it showed red on the map, stay away if you want. We will still welcome you with open arms and gobs of southern hospitality anyway.

And to those that want to move back to New England or CA because of the same shade of red of GA, (and I know I am not origianal here for using this line) Delta is ready when you are.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:05 PM

2,848 posts, read 6,416,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckysnap View Post
96% of blacks voted for a black. Thats a coincident?
Blacks have been voting overwhelmingly Democrat forever now. When blacks turned out in large numbers to vote for white Democrats like JFK, Bill Clinton, and Al Gore that was okay. But, now that they are still voting Democrat when there's a black candidate running that makes them racist? Come on!!

Old 11-05-2008, 11:11 PM

156 posts, read 432,359 times
Quote:
Georgia seems more racist than most of America. Blacks all across the country voted for Obama. But it seems like more whites up north and west voted for Obama than whites in Georgia did.
I'm white and a Republican, but still voted for Obama. It's disturbing, though, that because people didn't vote for Obama they're considered racist. There are certainly different values in different part of the country, these values determined voting direction, not race. People that I know that didn't vote for Obama did so because of economic concerns, not because of race. These are people I know well and am 100% positive race played no part.

It's sad that race needs to be injected into everything and just because someone doesn't vote for Obama, others assume he/she is a racist.

What's going to happen when I question one of Barak's policies? I have a feeling that I will labeled by many as a racist. I hope not.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:13 PM

16,644 posts, read 29,343,547 times
I actually agree with you for the most part, but the highlighted part (below)...Um...what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
LD, I think you know by now that I am one of your biggest fans. Can't believe all of the blubber I have been reading on this thread. Yours is the first sane post I have seen.

A red state is a state that leans more to a conservative political philosophy. The south has always been conservative, even when it was solidly democrat, it was still conservative. We who have grown up with the racism of our forefathers have made strides to overcome it better than most of you from other points of the country. And you with no sin, go select your stones (Rodney King, OJ; cough, cough)

This election swung to the democrats because of three things:

1) Disapproval of Bush, both by the dems (duh) but also by the conservatives that elected him in for not being a fiscal conservative.

2) The huge AA turnout because of the historical connotations attached to a black man reaching the highest position in the world and in many ways the culmination of MLKs dream.

3) The under 30s finally turning out in droves to vote for a candidate exalted by hollywood and the media. Youth are always more liberal in their philosophy. Let them get a real job with taxes and begin raising children and watch them get conservative.

This country is still a center-right country. The most telling thing is the passing of prop 8 in CA. It passed primarily because the AA vote was 70-30 for it. Whites were against it, the hispanic vote split, so this shows the social conservatism of AAs in one of the most liberal states in the country. Similar resolutions passed in all corners of the country.

All you proclaiming a new day of liberalism in America, enjoy the victory for the next week, maybe a year or two, but allow a little time for it to settle in that liberalism will not usher in Utopia and the pendulum will swing back right again.

And to those of you who equate red state or conservatism with racism and proclaim yourselves as progressive and thinkers, you have just proven yourselves to be totally ignorant, at least on this topic. Those who won't visit Georgia because it showed red on the map, stay away if you want. We will still welcome you with open arms and gobs of southern hospitality anyway.

And to those that want to move back to New England or CA because of the same shade of red of GA, (and I know I am not origianal here for using this line) Delta is ready when you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta