Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 08:12 AM

3 posts, read 42,117 times

Advertisements

What's the going commission rate for listing real estate in the area? I've always heard that 6% is standard but is most cases negotiable. The one realtor I've contacted thus far is asking for 7%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 08:20 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,680,991 times
6% is standard. 3% to each the buyer and seller agent. You can however find agents that charge 1.5% - 2%. They actually charge the full 3% and then give you some cash back.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:22 AM

22 posts, read 159,225 times
I am a Realtor in Tn. Due to the federal laws regarding fair trade and price fixing there is no set rate. Average these days is 6-7% for pre-existing and 5% for new construction. Everything is negotiable. I would be far more focused on the quality of the Realtor than I would the commission rate. If they can do a good job for you then they are well worth it! Remember, we don't get paid until it sells and if we are good at what we do and motivated we will get you more than you could think of getting yourself and are worth every penny that we charge. OTOH, if you get one that does not know what they are doing or is very inexperienced or lazy then they aren't worth 1/2% to you in this market. My advice, go with quality and pay for quality.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:27 AM

22 posts, read 159,225 times
With regard to gt6974a's post above. This is very unprofessional not to mention illegal. Big Time. I would run from such Realtors in a nano second. Wy do they have to resort to this? Ever wonder? Probably because they aren't worth much even at 7%. You want professional, pay professional. You want skirt on the edges and hope to get by, then pay "discounted" commissions and expect discounted service. Trust me. I have heard the horror stories from clients that thought that they were getting a deal. Yeah, some deal. They had to come to me or another more sesoned and professional person to get the sale to happen.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:05 AM

214 posts, read 915,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
6% is standard. 3% to each the buyer and seller agent. You can however find agents that charge 1.5% - 2%. They actually charge the full 3% and then give you some cash back.
kick backs are wrong...

these are probably the same agents that told their buyers a few yrs ago that even if they make 30k a yr they CAN afford the 300k home!!! haha. Then their bro-in-law did the mortgage...

Old 11-05-2008, 12:12 PM

352 posts, read 1,425,158 times
Realtors hold very little value in GA unless you are tying to sell a house in an out of town new build neighbourhood where there is lots of competition, everything is the same and they may be able to snag some one relocating. It is not a skilled profession no matter how many times people will try and convince you it is. All you need is to use zillow or similar to sell and avoid their rip off comissions if you have patience and a few hours spare time.

7% is a joke or are people seriously trying to say that a sign in the front yard and advice to put in a new kitchen and then drop your price 3 months later is worth 7%? Everyone else is cutting rates in this lousy economy but I guess realtors are immune even though there is over 1 realtor for evey house listed in most states.....................

Old 11-05-2008, 12:12 PM

247 posts, read 1,290,137 times
Here in GA Duffy Real Estate Atlanta Georgia $500 Flat Fee MLS Listings | For Sale By Owner GA | Discount FSBO Real Estate | Home Buyer Cash Rebate does give you a refund and it is NOT illegal because they are not a full service broker. Also, some brokers are willing to cut their commissions by 1/2% if they know they can secure the deal. This often happens with Foreclosures because banks will not pay out the 6%.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:03 PM

18 posts, read 141,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrabbit View Post
Realtors hold very little value in GA unless you are tying to sell a house in an out of town new build neighbourhood where there is lots of competition, everything is the same and they may be able to snag some one relocating. It is not a skilled profession no matter how many times people will try and convince you it is. All you need is to use zillow or similar to sell and avoid their rip off comissions if you have patience and a few hours spare time.

7% is a joke or are people seriously trying to say that a sign in the front yard and advice to put in a new kitchen and then drop your price 3 months later is worth 7%? Everyone else is cutting rates in this lousy economy but I guess realtors are immune even though there is over 1 realtor for evey house listed in most states.....................
Nice to avoid commissions yeah but Zillow totally blows. Have you ever tried using it from the buyer's end? It's a joke my friend.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:22 PM

352 posts, read 1,425,158 times
True enough Zillow sucks and their home values are way inaccurate but long term internet sites such as Zillow will lower the extoriante realtor costs.

Even now Zillow is handy if you are looking to see whats for sale in a neighbourhood, at least I have found it to be. It is also good for viewing the actual streetscape.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:54 PM

18 posts, read 141,728 times
I am agreeing with you most of the way. But, here's the catch. If you are selling your home FSBO fine...but some people are not going to be comfortable allowing any ole' Joe who calls them inside their home that wants in to see it. Sellers are protected when they list since the only people that have access are licensed agents who have REAL authentic buyers that they are representing. It is much safer and comfortable that way for most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta