Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 02:21 PM

3 posts, read 16,068 times

Advertisements

Hi All
I just secured an apartment in Stockbridge (I am relocating from Minneapolis) And I dont have a clue what this city is about. I currently live in the downtown area of minneapolis, and I know Stockbridge is far far away from urban. Am i going to be bored out of my mind? Can someone come here and give me some good feedback on Stockbridge? Its too late to turn back now, its a done deal, but now Im scared!! Bars, restaraunts, anything to do?? Edited to say, Im for all intents and purposes, single and I have no kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 03:02 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,761,555 times
It's kind of out in the boonies IMO, a few miles down I-75 south, but to others it isn't that far from Atlanta. Stockbridge is a small town that has grown to 22,000 residents in recent years and is growing fast, so don't expect a lot of options in entertainment. The band Collective Soul is from Stockbridge...City of Stockbridge - Welcome

Old 11-07-2008, 08:12 PM

235 posts, read 836,413 times
Stockbridge is an easy 20 miles from downtown and 25 from midtown / Buckhead. You will find restaurants (typical chain restuarants and local places ) in Stockbridge, but generally you will want to go elsewhere for the bar scene. You are not really that far out compared to some other places. Half an hour with no traffic into the city and most of it is via I-75. Stockbridge itself has ample shopping but it is definitely more of a bedroom community. The best Chinese restaurant there is called Chinese Fast Food next to Food Depot. I promise you that and the owner has high ratings with the state regulators, so you are safe eating there.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:25 PM

606 posts, read 2,001,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
It's kind of out in the boonies IMO, a few miles down I-75 south, but to others it isn't that far from Atlanta. Stockbridge is a small town that has grown to 22,000 residents in recent years and is growing fast, so don't expect a lot of options in entertainment. The band Collective Soul is from Stockbridge...City of Stockbridge - Welcome
Well if Stockbridge is in the boonies then so is Alpharetta, since both are the same distance from Atlanta.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:20 PM

5 posts, read 28,248 times
How is Stockbridge??? for kids .. for adults .. do everyone get along, etc? How is the crime? Are jobs easy to come by? Is it better than Alpharetta?

Old 12-23-2008, 07:03 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,238,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
Well if Stockbridge is in the boonies then so is Alpharetta, since both are the same distance from Atlanta.
The "boonies" aren't necessarily a function of distance alone, but of which direction you are from the city. For example, there are plenty of places in central Gwinnett that are further from Atlanta but more "urban" than portions of SW Fulton County that are closer.

I have never been to Stockbridge, but generally North Metro is more urban than South Metro.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:46 AM

214 posts, read 594,308 times
It depends some on where you are in Stockbridge. If you're in the northern part, you'll find a lot of options for food, parks, shopping (just an exit up but technically in a town called Morrow), and a variety of people. Plus there are some bars. Crime, though, is increasing in that area too. I definitely wouldn't call it dangerous, but it's not as quiet as it used to be.

If you're further south, you enter family-ville. There is nothing to do except take your kid to soccer practice, go to church, and shop. If you're feeling really daring you can go skating. Just roller, no ice.

Depending on how much of a social butterfly you are, you'll probably be spending a lot of time on 75 going to the city center for your entertainment.

I'm a little further south (away from Atlanta), mid-thirties with two kids who are into soccer, and even I'm bored out of my mind.

Still, you'll enjoy a decent neighborhood, nice neighbors (probably), lower rent=more money in your pocket, and better traffic.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:50 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,154,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmokt View Post
Hi All
I just secured an apartment in Stockbridge (I am relocating from Minneapolis) And I dont have a clue what this city is about.
I'll ask the question no one else has asked: Why Stockbridge?

Do you have friends or family there? Is your job in Stockbridge or nearby? Did you just open a map, close your eyes, and drop your finger on Stockbridge?

Old 12-23-2008, 03:31 PM

3 posts, read 16,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I'll ask the question no one else has asked: Why Stockbridge?

Do you have friends or family there? Is your job in Stockbridge or nearby? Did you just open a map, close your eyes, and drop your finger on Stockbridge?
I chose it because its halfway between Atlanta and Jackson. I need to be in Jackson every weekend but refuse to live THAT far out.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:11 PM

214 posts, read 1,978,065 times
Good Ole' Butts County Jackson? Then yes, that is half way. You could also try north McDonough area. I live right near Stockbridge but in McDonough and I work in Jackson. It is about 25 minutes and all interstate travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta