Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2008, 08:04 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernExplorer View Post
I am from New Orleans, and my wife is from Memphis. After we got married, we tried living in New Orleans. It was ok until Katrina hit, and it became too ghetto and distressed. We then moved to Memphis, and we just did not like being white minorities. We want to stay in the south, close to Memphis and NOLA but want a big city feel. Atlanta fits the bill.

We just want to be in an area with our own kind. We do not like the culture that is dominant in Memphis and NOLA: uneducated, cannot speak english, sense of enititlement and victimization, crime, children out of wedlock, fatherless, inappropriate clothing, and hip hop profanity. Of course not all of the people in the cities have these qualities, but we would rather not be around any of it.

So, as we look to move to Atlanta, we want a majority white area. Ill be working in Midtown, and my wife is getting a job in Sandy Springs. Our price range is a maximum of $550,000. I do not mind a long commute. Thanks!
What makes you think that whites won't have these qualities?

Old 11-12-2008, 08:06 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GF72 View Post
Well Dunwoody's residential tax base is much wealthier than Decatur's though. In Decatur it can be high or low, in Dunwoody it's high across the board. Dunwoody zip code 30338 (which contains pretty much the whole residential area, 30,000+ population) has an average household income of $130,000. That's the exact same Johns Creek (except Johns Creek is double the population, at 60,000+) and Johns Creek is all residential as well.

Plus Decatur operates its own school system, which is expensive. Like I said Dunwoody won't want to give up that commercial money, but at the same time, letting go of their share of Perimeter would mean they wouldn't have to worry about that multi-family population, nor Perimeter itself, which is surely more costly to maintain than residential Dunwoody. That's the whole point of the self-taxing Perimeter CID - if they were their own city it wouldn't be necessary. Right now Perimeter has to resort to self taxing itself (across two different groups because of the county split) to upkeep their own land, that would all be solved if they were a city.
Well, I said that it was one reason...what you state here are indeed other reasons.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:04 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
But then Dunwoody would suffer from a lack of large scale commercial property in their tax base; it's one reason that taxes are so high in the city of Decatur.
Yep, yep. I know there's a lot of controversy with the possible annexations by the City of Decatur (500 new students in the system, etc.), but I think it would fairly painless for Decatur to just go ahead and annex the Suburban Plaza area and commerical district on DeKalb Industrial Way (Kroger!).

Old 11-12-2008, 02:16 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Their white majority is soon going to be a thing of the past....even without immigration.
ha you seem a bit too excited about this. Although fair housing is a right, freedom of speech is as well!

Old 11-15-2008, 07:43 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,617 times
Here in Atlanta there are a number of wealthy Blacks, and if you saw them or their children you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between them or a “real thug”. Not to mention that sadly some Blacks here have children that act just as bad if not worse than the worst of the worst children of the ghetto. I went to school with the sons and daughters of Atlanta’s Black elite, and you would be surprised at how many of those aforementioned children got sent to prison for dealing drugs, armed robbery, and even murder.
- Crazy Virgo Child

Wow, so just avoid all blacks huh?

Old 11-15-2008, 08:05 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
If that's what you need to do...go ahead, brotha!

Old 11-15-2008, 09:13 AM

43 posts, read 172,765 times
GF72....Can you post the website link to exactly to where you are getting all of your
Statistical data? I read where you posted the US Census.... Post it from the website for others to see

Old 11-15-2008, 11:37 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
Here in Atlanta there are a number of wealthy Blacks, and if you saw them or their children you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference between them or a “real thug”. Not to mention that sadly some Blacks here have children that act just as bad if not worse than the worst of the worst children of the ghetto. I went to school with the sons and daughters of Atlanta’s Black elite, and you would be surprised at how many of those aforementioned children got sent to prison for dealing drugs, armed robbery, and even murder.
- Crazy Virgo Child

The fact is that its true some wanna be thug rappers are just spoiled black kids with nothing better to do.That's no different than spoiled white kids going through the neighborhood smashing mailboxes doing heroin.Black or white there should both be held accountable to the same standards.Wealth does not equal "goodness"

Old 11-15-2008, 11:47 AM

57 posts, read 263,106 times
Interesting thread. I don't know about the desire to live around people who look like me, but I have no problem being around people with the same expectations and values. That said, I don't look at color. My neighborhood is pretty diverse and I live in the Western metro area. In fact, before the housing slam and foreclosures, it was a $400k-$1million plus neighborhood. I am of mixed ethnicity, as are my wife and kids. My neighbors are Black, White, Asian, and Latino. I think the least important criteria to most of them is appearance. Via simple socioeconomics, they were able to avoid the "ghetto" element by living in a more expensive community.

OP, if you don't mind the drive, Cherokee County is beautiful and there is a golf course community (I think it was Woodmont) in Canton which you may like. These areas north of ATL don't seem as affected by foreclosures and recession in terms of real estate, so your $550k max won't go as far as it would in my area, but you can still find a nice home for that price. I walked through a couple of the Wieland spec homes and I found them comparable to mine and the prices were $650k-$950k.

While I would recommend embracing diversity, to each their own. Happy house hunting.

PMMD

Old 11-15-2008, 11:58 AM

727 posts, read 1,836,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmtiger View Post
Forsyth... the further north the better... but not too close to Cumming.

Whats wrong with Cumming Ga?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta