Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 02:52 PM

56 posts, read 163,806 times

Advertisements

My job is requiring me to move. I am in sales and training and will be working in a different part of the metro area everyday. Thusly, the boss has said I can live anywhere within 80 miles of Atlanta. I am originally from the mountains of the Northwest. Being close to nature is what feeds my soul.

I lived in Dallas for the last 12 years and got horribly depressed because there was nothing to do outside. Now I live in Pensacola and would never leave here, but my position won't exist here as of 2/1/09 so I am taking the offer to move to Atlanta.

Rural would be great for better access to nature. Where within those 80 miles would offer me the best options for, say, hiking? Fishing? Sunning outside with a book?

Living in Little Five Pts or Mid-town would be great if I can afford it. Living where my commute every day is be against traffic is a strategy that has served me well in both Dallas and Pensacola.

One more thing, tell me what you love about Atlanta.

Feedback is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 03:25 PM

5 posts, read 21,997 times
In the city I would say Little Five over Midtown for your lifestyle. Rural country I would say Calhoun maybe even Rome, but that is a stretch and one hell of a long drive.

I love all the little communities that make up this city. It is so spread out but there are little microcosms of culture that are unique to that area.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:41 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,660,509 times
Price range and type of housing desired would help us help you more!

Old 11-11-2008, 03:45 PM

5 posts, read 13,710 times
Woodstock has just about everything you're looking for. A ride in on 75, but definately worth it.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:49 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,681,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelek1976 View Post
Woodstock has just about everything you're looking for. A ride in on 75, but definately worth it.
Outdoors in Georgia isn't hippy. I grew up in Acworth (next door to Woodstock) and while we love the outdoors, we're not exactly hippy. It's called 'Country'.

But if he can live with that then good, otherwise I'd head out to Athens

Old 11-11-2008, 04:31 PM

Price = under $775

Housing type desired = historic home/apartment (anything but an apartment complex)

Old 11-11-2008, 04:42 PM

I am considering Athens. Is it an easy ride to and from Atlanta area?

I need hippies, not country. I'm not excited about leaving the gulf coast so I need to make sure I get to an area that I love.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:29 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,739,067 times
Hippies are not in Atlanta. They are in Athens though. A very small cluster of hippies in areas like Candler Park and Decatur but you should definitely check out Athens.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:00 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,521,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingtrainer View Post
My job is requiring me to move. I am in sales and training and will be working in a different part of the metro area everyday. Thusly, the boss has said I can live anywhere within 80 miles of Atlanta. I am originally from the mountains of the Northwest. Being close to nature is what feeds my soul.

I lived in Dallas for the last 12 years and got horribly depressed because there was nothing to do outside. Now I live in Pensacola and would never leave here, but my position won't exist here as of 2/1/09 so I am taking the offer to move to Atlanta.

Rural would be great for better access to nature. Where within those 80 miles would offer me the best options for, say, hiking? Fishing? Sunning outside with a book?

Living in Little Five Pts or Mid-town would be great if I can afford it. Living where my commute every day is be against traffic is a strategy that has served me well in both Dallas and Pensacola.

One more thing, tell me what you love about Atlanta.

Feedback is greatly appreciated.
Sounds like you may like Stone Mountain, although I never been there. I seen pictures on the internet. It looks pretty. What makes you a hippie?

Old 11-12-2008, 05:17 AM

What makes me a hippy?

I prefer books over Nascar

I cook with organic ingredients and I don't cook in grease

I voted for Clinton twice, Gore once, Kerry once and Obama just last week

My next car will be a hybrid and I don't care for trucks

I listen to the Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin and don't care much for country music

I own Birkenstocks but no camoflauge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta