Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 06:26 PM

235 posts, read 838,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Your mistake of confusing Haralson County and Bremen City schools is a disservice to parents using this forum to find out where the better schools in the state are.
Most people in metro Atlanta do not even know that Bremen is in Haralson county, I would ask you not to take things so personally, especially on the Internet. I knew of Bremen myself, but did not even know what county it was in off-hand.

Relax and think about it a minute, would you? Many people from out of state do not even know there are separate public schools for cities and counties in Georgia, so I don't think naming a larger town for a relatively unknown county in the exurbs is a mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 06:30 PM

10 posts, read 54,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmenomen View Post
Most people in metro Atlanta do not even know that Bremen is in Harlson county, I would ask you not to take things so personally, especially on the Internet. I knew of Bremen myself, but did not even know what county it was in off-hand. Relax and think about it.
I have thought about it as you suggest and don't see how your comments relate to the discussion in a meaningful way.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:32 PM

235 posts, read 838,262 times
OK, I then ask, other posters, many of those who live in metro area, how many of you know of Haralson or Bremen for that matter? I stand by my comment and will not discuss this issue further as it will be perceived as "trolling" and it is considered rude.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmenomen View Post
OK, I then ask, other posters, many of those who live in metro area, how many of you know of Haralson or Bremen for that matter? I stand by my comment and will not discuss this issue further as it will be perceived as "trolling" and it is considered rude.
You seem to have missed the point entirely sir. Yet you are an important asset to middle-class Georgia and will be sorely missed if you stay away from this thread.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:42 PM

840 posts, read 2,085,972 times
I've never heard of Haralson County but I've had heard of Bremen but thought it was near LaGrange and Senoia

Old 05-23-2009, 11:28 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,856,148 times
Bremen High was a formidable opponent in not only sports in the single A classification when I was in high school in Hogansville, but their literary, debate and drama teams were always strong as well. If anybody remembers, it was specifically Bremen that caused then speaker of the house Tom Murphy (D, Bremen) to push the GHSA to grow from four classifications to five and to cause private schools to have an odd scale of computing their enrollment so his local Bremen High School's debate team would not have to face the likes of Pace Academy in the state finals every year. That rule has since been rescinded, but for every student that a public school would count for enrollment, private schools would have to count 1.5 students. This caused private schools, which were able to recruit outside strict district lines, to have to "play up" and level the playing field as it were. While this might not have effected sports as much, literary events like debate were being ruled by Atlanta private schools like Pace and Lovett.

All that to say that including Bremen in the title line did cause a shock. Those like me who follow high school competitions in GA, both in athletics and academcis, have known that the Bremen City School System is one of the top small school systems in the state

Old 05-24-2009, 11:02 AM

325 posts, read 979,466 times
This is so unfortunate. It is painfully apparent that these school board members are self-serving, and DO NOT have the interest of children in mind. Get rid of them ALL and start from scratch I say. Anything to make sure the kids get what the need.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Bremen High was a formidable opponent in not only sports in the single A classification when I was in high school in Hogansville, but their literary, debate and drama teams were always strong as well. If anybody remembers, it was specifically Bremen that caused then speaker of the house Tom Murphy (D, Bremen) to push the GHSA to grow from four classifications to five and to cause private schools to have an odd scale of computing their enrollment so his local Bremen High School's debate team would not have to face the likes of Pace Academy in the state finals every year. That rule has since been rescinded, but for every student that a public school would count for enrollment, private schools would have to count 1.5 students. This caused private schools, which were able to recruit outside strict district lines, to have to "play up" and level the playing field as it were. While this might not have effected sports as much, literary events like debate were being ruled by Atlanta private schools like Pace and Lovett.

All that to say that including Bremen in the title line did cause a shock. Those like me who follow high school competitions in GA, both in athletics and academcis, have known that the Bremen City School System is one of the top small school systems in the state
Very interesting. I did not know about the GHSA classification. I would imagine Tom Murphy was the best thing that ever happened to Bremen and that his influence is sorely missed.

You are right about Bremen City Schools having being one of the best school districts in the state. How much Murphy had to do with that I would like to know ... I would think it considerable but I could be wrong. Fully half of the students in this small system live outside city limits and thus pay tuition to enter into Bremen schools and are screened carefully before admittance. There also racial factors involved but because I wasn't born yesterday won't go into that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta