Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 10:32 AM

16 posts, read 47,931 times

Advertisements

We'll potentially be moving over from the UK. Hubby will be working in 30339 (is that enough info?) and I understand that it's best to keep the commuting distance down to the minimum.

In an ideal world I'd like somewhere that has lots of space, great schools, a community feel, not run-down - basically somewhere that we'd be proud to live that improves our quality of life (instead of living in a small cramped house in the UK with a tiny yard and where everyone is on top of each other). We'd be looking at renting a 3 or 4 bed single family house for less than $1,500 a month.

Hopefully that'll be enough to go on. I haven't visited Atlanta before so getting an idea of size and distance is quite challenging. I look forward to some replies. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 10:53 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldtripp62 View Post
We'll potentially be moving over from the UK. Hubby will be working in 30339 (is that enough info?) and I understand that it's best to keep the commuting distance down to the minimum.

In an ideal world I'd like somewhere that has lots of space, great schools, a community feel, not run-down - basically somewhere that we'd be proud to live that improves our quality of life (instead of living in a small cramped house in the UK with a tiny yard and where everyone is on top of each other). We'd be looking at renting a 3 or 4 bed single family house for less than $1,500 a month.

Hopefully that'll be enough to go on. I haven't visited Atlanta before so getting an idea of size and distance is quite challenging. I look forward to some replies. Thanks.

A recent thread about '30339'>>>
//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...on-county.html

Those familiar with the area should be able to give you some advice. It is a good area.

ETA/schools thread>>>
//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...s-schools.html

Last edited by TakeAhike; 11-18-2008 at 11:24 AM..

Old 11-18-2008, 10:53 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,320,313 times
Sounds like your husband will be working in the Cumberland/Smyrna area. You should try to look for places to rent in the Smyrna/Marietta area. I know you can rent older homes in Cobb County for around $1,500. With the housing market slump, you'll especially be able to find some good deals as people unable to sell are opting to lease their houses. Check out some realtor websites like Remax and Keller Williams to find listings. Just research the neighborhoods before you sign the dotted line to make sure that your kids will be attending decent local schools and also that you're near shopping and services.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:42 AM

2,240 posts, read 5,859,250 times
Some of the public schools in that area are pretty sketchy, so be sure to ask LOTS of questions and check them on greatschools.net. There are plenty of excellent private schools in that area as well, but beware that the admissions season goes on now through the end of February (roughly). So, if you're potentially interested in private school for the 2009-2010 school year, you need to be looking now (don't wait until summer-the spots may be gone depending upon your children's ages).

Old 11-19-2008, 07:51 AM

Thanks. I'll have a look at the Smyrna/Marietta areas and look into the schools. Can't quite work out the whole PK issue though. Will have to do some deeper digging.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:53 AM

Default Real Estate in Atlanta?

As per other threads, we're investigating a move from the UK, to potentially Cobb County. I wondered how the whole real estate thing works? I've been googling rental homes in Cobb County and a lot of them have the same houses. Would they also be able to help with things like schools etc? It's all a bit overwhelming!

Old 11-19-2008, 08:06 AM

Quote:
As per other threads, we're investigating a move from the UK, to potentially Cobb County. I wondered how the whole real estate thing works? I've been googling rental homes in Cobb County and a lot of them have the same houses. Would they also be able to help with things like schools etc? It's all a bit overwhelming!
Are you living in the UK at present?

You could Google 'Smyrna/Marietta/Realtors' and contact a local agency. Realtors are knowledgeable about many aspects of relocation. I'm not certain what type of help you would like with schools--I read your post about Pre-K programs and I assume a real estate professional would have some recommemdations for the area. In the thread I linked posters said Teasley Elementary was one of the better schools.

//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...s-schools.html

Craig's List is another online option. Ads for goods/services are posted here>>>
classifieds - craigslist

Last edited by TakeAhike; 11-19-2008 at 08:23 AM..

Old 11-19-2008, 08:25 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
fieldtrip, I'm merging your two threads that you have going along the same topic into one.

atlantagreg30127

Old 11-19-2008, 12:08 PM

Thanks for all your replies! I'm getting a bit confused as the areas being mentioned are so HUGE and there are so many sub-divisions!! Do you mean the bit of Marietta that is classed as East Cobb (see that come up a lot on threads) or anywhere in Marietta? I've seen a couple of nice houses in the Chastain Glen sub-division and Blackwell Elementary seems ok but wondered if it was too far north? Seems a distance from the Vinings area where the office is... Another thread said Marietta was beautiful but had a high crime rate! I'm not used to everything being so big. It's all tiny here!

Old 11-19-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Thanks for all your replies! I'm getting a bit confused as the areas being mentioned are so HUGE and there are so many sub-divisions!! Do you mean the bit of Marietta that is classed as East Cobb (see that come up a lot on threads) or anywhere in Marietta? I've seen a couple of nice houses in the Chastain Glen sub-division and Blackwell Elementary seems ok but wondered if it was too far north? Seems a distance from the Vinings area where the office is... Another thread said Marietta was beautiful but had a high crime rate! I'm not used to everything being so big. It's all tiny here!
There are several posters that live in this area and hopefully someone can answer your questions more specifically.

ETA: I checked Cobb County Schools and City of Marietta Schools and didn't see Blackwell Elementary listed. Is it possible that you have found a school in Cherokee County since you said it was 'too far north'?

If you know a major street/intersection near the office this would help posters determine the better routes for commuting.

There are 'unincorporated' areas of cities here which are generally larger than than the city limits. This is the case with Marietta. I assume that there is one, or a few sections of Marietta which have higher crime rates. It is a safe and family oriented area.

The poster 'RainyRainyDay' might be able to answer your questions. I know she lives somewhere in East Cobb County and moved to the US from Canada.

Scan through this thread on East Cobb and you might find other posters with the FYI you need>>>
//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...ce-needed.html

hth

Last edited by TakeAhike; 11-19-2008 at 02:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta