Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 04:24 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,403,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by linzy2101 View Post
Hello My husband and I live in Iowa, and are considering a job transfer to Georgia. With his job, we are going to have to live in the Lagrange area...we have 2 small little girls that would be in 3rd grade and Kindergarten next fall...any insights on the community, where we should look to find a house, what the best elementary school would be, and jobs, I would be looking for employment...
Well, the job market in LaGrange is iffy at best. The majority of the jobs there are manufacturing type jobs as LaGrange is one of the main locations for the Milliken Carpet and textile company. Theres a wal mart distribution center there also. But aside from that, in terms of offices and administrative type positions I wouldnt have too high expectations in that area.

As far as the schools, you really cant go wrong no matter where you send them. The public schools are great and then theres LaGrange Academy but im not sure how old the starting age is there. As I said earlier in the post though, the largest developing area down there right now seems to be the hwy 29/South Davis area near the mall. They just built ANOTHER really nice complex near the middle school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 10:49 PM

2 posts, read 3,694 times
Thank you for the info!!! I am glad to hear the schools are good!!! I am an office manager for a dental office and have been for 9yrs...so I would looking for more of an admin position. I appreciate your time-
One more community...Newnan-is that more of a thriving community?

Old 01-20-2011, 01:43 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
I have posted this on other threads, I prefer LaGrange over Newnan. Growing up in the area in the 70s, LaGrange was definitely the larger, more urbane of the two (remember, comparing to small cities/large towns in the south, not comparing to large cities). Newnan's proximity to Atlanta has helped it eclipse LaGrange on this front, but at the cost of a lot suburban sprawl.

I prefer LaGrange in that it doesn't have that suburban sameness that has enveloped Newnan. Newnan definitely has more shopping, more chain restaurants, etc, so If you have to have that, go Newnan. But LaGrange has kept more of its small town charm and doesn't have the crazy traffic that you will find in Coweta.

Just my two cents, guess I have lived in the suburbs long enough that I long to go back to a little simpler way of life.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:47 PM

Well economically and jobs wise Newnan basically exploded over LaGrange and grew at a pace I dont think anyone ever saw coming. I'm FROM LaGrange and honestly if it were me i'd live in Newnan over LaGrange any day of the week. My problem with LaGrange is that the whole "small town" feel is nice and all, but there hasnt been much progress in the city since I was a kid over 20 years ago. Still need more retail, more restaurants... it gets annoying to have to drive to Newnan or Columbus just to shop.

Newnan benefitted mainly from the close proximity to Atlanta and the fact that so many people were actually moving outside of the city. And honestly even though Newnan has grown, its not like youre going to see any more traffic there than youre going to see in LaGrange aside from Bullsboro Dr. Other than that its really no different from LaGrange at all.

And the crazy thing is people in LaGrange have gotten so accustomed to going out of town to do things like go to bars, bowl, shop, and go out to eat that even when we got restaurants there some were barely even supported. The popeyes closed down, Ryans, Long John Silvers, Golden Corral, and from the way business has been looking at Ruby Tuesday im about 90% positive they wont make it another year. The bowling alley got closed down years ago and was never re-opened. And all of that is with population actually going UP in LaGrange. Yet, if you shoot up the road 20 minutes to Newnan youll see a ton of people from LaGrange in these same places.

All I know is whoever spear headed that development in Newnan needs to be put on the LaGrange Chamber of Commerce ASAP.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:40 PM

3 posts, read 3,733 times
I'm thinking of relocating to the Lagrange area. My father works for Kia & has lived there for several years. It would be a big move for me & my daughter age 10. I am an RN in Tallahassee Fl, and wondering if this would be a good choice for a fresh start. Just trying to get feedback on neighborhoods, rental rates (houses preferably), schools, recreation (any horseback riding lessons, dance/cheer/gymnastics locally??) how is the medical community & job market/avg salary for RN's? I've been there several times for short visits, but not very familiar with the area & lifestyle. Any info would help, thanks!!

Old 09-12-2013, 02:05 PM

Well, the hospital there is now under the Emory branch and has made a lot of progress. In terms of jobs, i'm not sure about the quantity as the hospital is pretty small. There's also Clark Holder Clinic that has a pretty large office there. You won't have a problem with schools or recreation as LaGrange sits on West Point Lake and there are quite a few camping, etc things to do. There is actually a cheering team there that competes nationwide off of S. Davis Rd and a few gymnastics places. With it being the country, you can find horseback riding places all over town. As I stated before though, the jobs aren't really plentiful and the salaries aren't all that great but keep in mind i'm not too sure about the medical field there. The hospital was taken over by Emory long after I left. Good place for raising kids, horrible if you actually like to shop or go out though. A lot of people go there to retire and buy homes on the lake since it's a pretty quiet place to live.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:02 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
My nephew just finished his RN degree at LaGrange College and was hired immediately at the hospital there. He loves it.

If they are taking recent graduates the minute they get their license, I would think an experienced RN would have no trouble at all gaining employment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta