U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 01:49 PM

14 posts, read 57,783 times

Advertisements

This may sound crazy, but we are locating here from FL. We are set on the SS area. We have 3 options in terms of houses. One on the 285 side of Johnson Ferry off of Riverside, one on the other side of Johnson Ferry off Riverside and one off of Roswell by Grogan's Bluff. We have heard some iffy things about the GB area because of Roswell Rd. Our realtor also thinks it is "out of the way." Any thoughts on this? I have mapquested all 3 houses to midtown and Paces Ferry Rd (places of employment) and they are a few miles difference between them, but it doesn't seem major. Any opinions would be helpful as we are clueless to this area. Of course, our favorite house is the one off of Roswell, further out. Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 02:04 PM

15,525 posts, read 25,142,247 times
Both high schools that serve Sandy Springs (North Springs and Riverwood) are good!

For schools, I recommend that you look at these links:

Fulton County Schools - Where Students Come First

FCBOE - Student Placement (http://www.fultonschools.org/dept/studentAssignment/maps/index.htm - broken link)

The first link is a list of all the schools...with all kinds of information about each school.

The second link has attendance zone maps for each of the schools.

The schools in Sandy Springs:

Elementary*: Woodland, Dunwoody Springs, Lake Forest, High Point, Heards Ferry, and Spalding Drive

Middle: Sandy Springs and Ridgeview

High: North Springs and Riverwood

*A new elementary will open off of Ison Road (close to Grogan's Bluff) in August 2009 (I think that's the correct date...it may be August 2010).

I hope this helps! Good Luck.

Last edited by aries4118; 11-20-2008 at 02:17 PM..

Old 11-20-2008, 02:06 PM

Thanks so much for the info! I appreciate it. We were wondering about crime issues also. Any thoughts? Thank you.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:09 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,379,851 times
You are wise to get into the nitty gritty on houses...where, specifically are the 'hoods? I drive that way every day and can give you scoop on traffic patterns. But for the most part, GB is a nice neighborhood but your realtor is right...it's a bit out of the way and it takes longer to get to 285. BUT...if the other two neighborhoods are anywhere near or on Johnson's Ferry you'll get all the East Cobb Traffic both on Riverside Drive and Johnson Ferry. I know a few people who live in North Harbor and love it in case that's one of your choices. Another good one is the Heards Ferry/Heards Creek neighborhood which allows you access to 285 and backroads to Buckhead without the hassle of Johnson's Ferry.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:01 PM

Thanks for your input, Sweettea. One neighborhood is Riverside off of Riverside Drive- no need to go on Johnson Ferry to get to 285. The other is North Springs off of Brandon Mill Rd. The last one is not in a neighborhood. It is literally on the back of Grogan's Bluff on Ison Rd. where the new elem. school is being built. With the Ison Rd and the North Springs houses, mapquest says to go on 400 to get to Midtown. Any thoughts? Thanks a bunch.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:10 PM

1,498 posts, read 2,799,177 times
I live in Sandy Springs (Dunwoody Panhandle). I would definatley recommend ITP Riverside Drive. Here is why:

The area around Grogan's Bluff (referred to locals as the "North Springs" area) has a lot of apartments off of Roswell Road. No crime would spill over into your neighborhood, but the shopping centers around there can get a little iffy. Just depends though, and it is nothing compared to the more sketchy areas of Atlanta.

Your house would be worth more in Riverside because of Heards Ferry elementary. It is the best school in Sandy Springs. Also, Riverwood is a MUCH better high school than North Springs High. Im talking like an A school vs. a C- school.

Your house closer in Riverside would appreciate much more becuase of these two factors.

Last edited by BringBackCobain; 11-20-2008 at 06:36 PM..

Old 11-20-2008, 06:35 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,379,851 times
Yes, BringBackCobain makes excellent points. I cannot STAND the shopping centers around Roswell Road near Grogan's Bluff. But really you'll be in a better spot in Riverside. You can cut through River Valley to get to Sandy Springs, shoot down Riverside Drive to Power's Ferry to get to Buckhead and 285 is right there. Also, you can join a great swim and tennis club which is across the street. Great neighborhood! North Springs is nice too but I think the house in Riverside will hold its value more.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:50 PM

15,525 posts, read 25,142,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettea1 View Post
Yes, BringBackCobain makes excellent points. I cannot STAND the shopping centers around Roswell Road near Grogan's Bluff. But really you'll be in a better spot in Riverside. You can cut through River Valley to get to Sandy Springs, shoot down Riverside Drive to Power's Ferry to get to Buckhead and 285 is right there. Also, you can join a great swim and tennis club which is across the street. Great neighborhood! North Springs is nice too but I think the house in Riverside will hold its value more.
Yes, I guess sweetie and cobain make good points...but don't count out the North Springs neighborhood...oh-so-nice and one of my favorites in Sandy Springs. And North Springs High School is good. Remember, schools go between good and great every few years. North Springs supposedly outshone Riverwood a few years ago. Now, Riverwood is supposedly "better." All in all, they are both decent/good/great. Things can change...can't really go wrong with Sandy Springs high schools.

The North Springs neighborhood attends Spalding Drive Charter Elementary School...good!

Also, below...a very useful link on Sandy Springs neighborhoods. Take a look...should be helpful:

Sandy Springs Neighborhoods (http://www.sandysprings.org/sscrt/sscrt.nbhdprof.html - broken link)

Good Luck!

Old 11-20-2008, 10:28 PM

481 posts, read 2,687,692 times
The Heards Ferry Elementary district in Sandy Springs is the best part of the city. It's a beautiful, high-valued area with low crime, nice houses, and you can take back roads to Buckhead, Midtown, Perimeter, and Cumberland. This area (south Sandy Springs/Buckhead) is one of the best parts of Atlanta.

Any part of Sandy Springs is good actually, but parts of North Springs are sketchy relative to the rest of the city.... nowhere near the bad parts of most cities though.

I agree that Riverwood is the better school than North Springs.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:14 AM

Thank you all for your input. This is extremely helpful to me being new to the city. My impression is that the Riverside neighborhood would be the most desirable also. I also thought a few of the Roswell shopping centers close to Ison are a little iffy. Schools are important for resale I know, but we don't have kids so it isn't as much an issue for us. Of course, the house farthest house is my favorite and the one close to 285 int he best part of SS needs a bunch of work. Decisions!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta