Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 08:25 AM

235 posts, read 838,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I'm not sure I would label it rural, it's very urban with some vacant lots here and there but a good number of pedestrians and busy traffic.
Driving around Lakewood and parts of SE Atlanta does have a rural feel to me, even if for a few moments, because of so little development and very old homes, mostly post war to the early 60s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 10:14 AM

1,941 posts, read 9,240,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
But...the southside of Atlanta encompasses a huge area. Why would you judge the entire south Atlanta area on whatever "horrible" area you saw?

There is a Crown Plaza Hotel and a Hilton Hotel and Towers in East Point...plus a nice Holiday Inn, a couple of bed and breakfasts, a Hampton Suites, and other decent places. Jonesboro??? Okay, I can't comment on Jonesboro - I've never been there. I'm not really all that sure where it is, but it just heightens my point that the southside is huge (like any other place) so there are sometimes variations in quality and beauty from one area to the next.

i'm not judging all of south atlanta on that one experience. i said in my post that i've been off the highway through many parts and its just not that appealing. you can argue all you want, but it doesn't change my opinion. i only offer it because it is the same as many other people who ride through south atlanta.

and jonesboro is between fayetteville and morrow. the area i was specifically talking about with that hotel incident was about 5 minutes south of morrow.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:19 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,808,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
i'm not judging all of south atlanta on that one experience. i said in my post that i've been off the highway through many parts and its just not that appealing. you can argue all you want, but it doesn't change my opinion. i only offer it because it is the same as many other people who ride through south atlanta.
I live in a beautiful, clean, safe middle class neighborhood in South Atlanta. It is proof that you are misjudging the entire area based on limited and isolated experiences. I have much knowledge of this area and I know that there is a combination of good and bad...much as you would find the same combination anywhere. Maybe you could tell us exactly what area of "southside" you've experienced and what was so bad about it?

Old 11-24-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
I live in a beautiful, clean, safe middle class neighborhood in South Atlanta. It is proof that you are misjudging the entire area based on limited and isolated experiences. I have much knowledge of this area and I know that there is a combination of good and bad...much as you would find the same combination anywhere. Maybe you could tell us exactly what area of "southside" you've experienced and what was so bad about it?
i think maybe you're missing the point. i'm sure there are some great areas in south atlanta, in fact i know there are as i've been through some; i'm just saying from the average outsider's perspective that it doesn't look that appealing. as for the area i was in and not wanting to leave my vehicle there; the crime may not have been that bad, it was just the way i perceived it. there are areas in valdosta that are the same way. they look terrible but they're not that bad. its just a perspective. i think everyone has come to equate "low end looking" neighborhoods with crime. i try not to, but in an environment i'm not accustomed to, its hard to think otherwise. we're just conditioned to think north atlanta is safer and better, and that's something you have to take into account when wondering why there aren't new developments in the area.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:59 PM

Quote:
i think maybe you're missing the point. i'm sure there are some great areas in south atlanta, in fact i know there are as i've been through some; i'm just saying from the average outsider's perspective that it doesn't look that appealing. as for the area i was in and not wanting to leave my vehicle there; the crime may not have been that bad, it was just the way i perceived it. there are areas in valdosta that are the same way. they look terrible but they're not that bad. its just a perspective. i think everyone has come to equate "low end looking" neighborhoods with crime. i try not to, but in an environment i'm not accustomed to, its hard to think otherwise. we're just conditioned to think north atlanta is safer and better, and that's something you have to take into account when wondering why there aren't new developments in the area.
I'm definitely GETTING your point...and it's way off. Most of the southside of Atlanta is NOT the way you're describing it to be - your words - "low end looking"; "look terrible but they're not that bad"; "doesn't look that appealing"; I live here and I don't appreciate your comments! It is NOT low-end...it DOESN'T look terrible...and it IS appealing - in many or most areas of the southside. The areas like you're describing are not the majority and are not the norm, yet you and people like you continue to label this side of town in your negative, condescending manner.

You don't know what you're talking about...I'm sorry to have to tell you, but you don't. Some more of your words - "because it doesn't have the money nor the appeal that north atlanta has. as an outsider, when i go through south atlanta, it mostly looks like a dump. no offense, that's just what i see. why would anyone want to invest in that?" I'm a resident of the huge area you call the southside, and I'm well aware of my neighborhood and many others nearby. The houses and yards are landscaped and well-maintained, the homes are appreciating, and my neighborhood is so safe I don't even lock my doors and I'm fine walking around day or night - lived here for 14 years without experiencing any criminal activity. If you choose not to believe that the real southside Atlanta exists, fine...whatever. There is a huge recently built retail center with Target, Lowes, Publix, restaurants, etc. and massive new developments all around it - investment. I've seen new neighborhoods of cottage style homes all over the southside - investment. My established neighborhood has seen a couple of new homes built recently on formerly wooded lots - investment. But I'm not worried about trying to convince you of these facts...it's a free world - find out for yourself.

It's so sad for you to sit and argue over something like this with someone who is much more knowledgeable about the subject - a resident for many years. But it's typical of some Atlanta residents and their misconceptions about the southside...and their lack of actual first-hand knowledge of it.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:

and jonesboro is between fayetteville and morrow. the area i was specifically talking about with that hotel incident was about 5 minutes south of morrow.
I bet there are around 1 million people who live on the southside that might disagree with you. The opinions of people who "ride through" an area compared to opinions of people who actually get out, stay, live, and visit - it's no contest.

So Jonesboro is in Clayton County? I do know that Morrow is about 20-25 minutes outside of the city, and Clayton County has not been seen in much of a postive light lately. But that is one county, one area.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:36 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,644,578 times
Southgeorgia, you should've stayed in Morrow, that's part of the Southside. Well I think the southside can match the northside (Stockbridge and Eagle's Landing are nice areas) but until we see some the highclass residents the perception will be that our side's a dump or undesirable.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
It's so sad for you to sit and argue over something like this with someone who is much more knowledgeable about the subject - a resident for many years. But it's typical of some Atlanta residents and their misconceptions about the southside...and their lack of actual first-hand knowledge of it.
well i certainly didn't know i was arguing with anyone. i don't care that you don't appreciate my comments; a question was asked and i responded with what i see. i never claimed to be an expert on the area, and i specifically said there are some nice neighborhoods in south atlanta, however as a whole, it is not as appealing as north atlanta; that was the very basis of the original question; why is south atlanta overlooked when compared to north atlanta?. perhaps you should read through my posts again? no need to be so angry. i never said "DeaconJ's house looks like a real dump". Also, I didn't base my opinion of the area on one visit. I've been there many times, and in one of my earlier posts in this thread I stated that I have family living in south Atlanta and that I thought they were in a nice area. Its just my perception of the area, and judging by your reaction and other comments, and through conversations with others, i'm not the only person with this perception; else we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
well i certainly didn't know i was arguing with anyone. i don't care that you don't appreciate my comments; a question was asked and i responded with what i see. i never claimed to be an expert on the area, and i specifically said there are some nice neighborhoods in south atlanta, however as a whole, it is not as appealing as north atlanta; that was the very basis of the original question; why is south atlanta overlooked when compared to north atlanta?. perhaps you should read through my posts again? no need to be so angry. i never said "DeaconJ's house looks like a real dump". Also, I didn't base my opinion of the area on one visit. I've been there many times, and in one of my earlier posts in this thread I stated that I have family living in south Atlanta and that I thought they were in a nice area. Its just my perception of the area, and judging by your reaction and other comments, and through conversations with others, i'm not the only person with this perception; else we wouldn't even be having this discussion.
I'm really sure you've been to southside Atlanta countless times, even though your misguided perception of it included poverty, crime, danger, and zero development. You're wrong and you can't accept that...I understand. Go attempt to discuss another location in Atlanta of which you have very limited knowledge and stereotypical impressions. You'll undoubtedly get a similar reaction.

Just because some other people have the same false perception doesn't make it correct...

Old 11-24-2008, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Just because some other people have the same false perception doesn't make it correct...
OH MY GOD IT TOOK YOU THAT LONG TO REALIZE THAT!?!?!?

geesh.

i'd say its time for a recap, shall we?

here's are some excerpts from me, in one place, so you can follow more closely.

the one that started it all:
Quote:
because it doesn't have the money nor the appeal that north atlanta has. as an outsider, when i go through south atlanta, it mostly looks like a dump. no offense, that's just what i see. why would anyone want to invest in that?
Quote:
it may not be as bad as it appeared, but i didn't trust leaving my vehicle in the parking lot there overnight.
Quote:
. . . . and while that area surely wasn't the worst, it wasn't appealing either. now i know i certainly haven't seen all of that area, but again, if that's my impression of it, what do you think others who just pass through think of it?
Quote:
i think maybe you're missing the point. i'm sure there are some great areas in south atlanta, in fact i know there are as i've been through some; i'm just saying from the average outsider's perspective that it doesn't look that appealing

Quote:
as for the area i was in and not wanting to leave my vehicle there; the crime may not have been that bad, it was just the way i perceived it. there are areas in valdosta that are the same way. they look terrible but they're not that bad. its just a perspective
Quote:
i never claimed to be an expert on the area, and i specifically said there are some nice neighborhoods in south atlanta, however as a whole, it is not as appealing as north atlanta; that was the very basis of the original question
Quote:
Its just my perception of the area, and judging by your reaction and other comments, and through conversations with others, i'm not the only person with this perception; else we wouldn't even be having this discussion.
sorry to have grouped all these here, but i had to get them in one spot where we could look at it and question, at exactly what point did deaconj get so pissed?

why can't we just have a conversation where you say, "oh well you should go to (this place) because its really nice and you would enjoy it on your next visit" instead of "f-you my town rocks; go away if you don't like it". you can't set me straight with words, you gotta show it to me! we're all just here to learn. now, tell me more about these diamonds in the rough; i like to know more about our state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta