Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2008, 05:10 PM

6 posts, read 16,019 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Los Angeles, CA, my family and I are planning to move to Atlanta, GA in January 09; we are in our late 30s'...we have a young child and a teenager. I am legal secretary, and my husband is an optical technician. Can someone recommend the best area to live in to raise our children, what are some of the best suburban areas...apartment areas...how are the school....what is the job market really like, in our fields? Your feed back is very much appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 05:18 PM

937 posts, read 864,211 times
The best schools are in the suburbs, like Roswell and Alpharetta. Some good areas would be Midtown, Five Points, Druid Hills, Brookhaven, Buckhead, and many others (If you want to stay close to work). Schools are good there too. Are you working in downtown??

For the most part, the apartments should be in your price range. I'm not very familiar with them (I only visited Atlanta three times), but I will give you more info when I can.
The job market is somewhat iffy, but it should work out.

Old 11-22-2008, 05:20 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,930,787 times
Living in GA is a whole experience in a 1920's kind of way. There is ATL and then there is the rest of GA. One example: When my neighbor went to get her driver's license, she had to bring her MARRIAGE LICENSE to the DMV to prove she was entitled to use that name!!!

ARGGGGGGG! That's me running into the night screaming. Good luck.

PS: Stay on the main routes.

Old 11-22-2008, 05:53 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,480,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaica71 View Post
We currently live in Los Angeles, CA, my family and I are planning to move to Atlanta, GA in January 09; we are in our late 30s'...we have a young child and a teenager. I am legal secretary, and my husband is an optical technician. Can someone recommend the best area to live in to raise our children, what are some of the best suburban areas...apartment areas...how are the school....what is the job market really like, in our fields? Your feed back is very much appreciated!!!
//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...eally-bad.html

What price range did you have in mind for housing? There are apartments in every part of metro Atlanta and ideally you should live near work as commuting can be difficult here.

Schools located in East Cobb County consistently score high on standardized testing>>>
//www.city-data.com/forum/searc...archid=9227418

Young families seem to be flourishing in the Dacula/Auburn area of Gwinnett. Good schools, moderately priced homes and a somewhat diverse, low crime area>>>
//www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...la-buford.html

Old 11-22-2008, 06:12 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,065,277 times
The job market is worse! Roswell & Alpharetta are really, really nice. If either one of you has a job before moving here you should be fine. It helps to know people here too. For raising a family and just a nice lifestyle this is the place to be. Just have a job otherwise you won't like this place at all.

Good luck to you!

Old 11-23-2008, 07:52 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,657,687 times
As others have said, please have a job before you come. Many of the decent apartment complexes are not willing to rent to people without jobs. Do you have family here?

I cannot begin to tell you enough to proceed very cautiously-- the job market is bad here and making it worse is the fact that people who were planning on retiring or leaving their jobs for other reasons aren't.

Even school systems and local governments are cutting back. If you have jobs where you are, stay put until the economy improves.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:37 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc View Post
Living in GA is a whole experience in a 1920's kind of way. There is ATL and then there is the rest of GA. One example: When my neighbor went to get her driver's license, she had to bring her MARRIAGE LICENSE to the DMV to prove she was entitled to use that name!!!

ARGGGGGGG! That's me running into the night screaming. Good luck.

PS: Stay on the main routes.
Having legal documentation for a name change on something like your driver's license is standard practice. If I tried to get a license and claimed my new last name is Johnson, I could get licenses under several different names.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:12 PM

4 posts, read 10,961 times
I'm from L.A. originally. Rent/groceries/gas should be cheaper than L.A. The job market is very shaky here right now, as other people said, proceed with caution. Avoid Clayton County. As others said, East Cobb/Roswell/Alpharetta all have good school systems. It's hit or miss in Fulton/DeKalb. There's a school guide post on this forum that should help. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta